Not Engaged Yet

In other news...

Anyone following what is going on in Egypt?  Scary stuff!  I'm just learning whatever I can find on CNN or BBC News, but it's all rather overwhelming.  There's one video of thousands of protestors facing off with hundreds of police on a bridge.  Incredible and frightening!

The best thing, in my opinion, is that the protestors seem to have a positive view towards the army, and the army seem to be (for the most part) treating the protestors with respect.  So you're seeing a lot of teargas and physical blockades, but not a lot of violence so far.  I'm really hoping that there's as little blood as possible!  I don't know about the politics of the situation, but I always want to avoid bloodshed.

Edit: I changed "police" to "army" - the riot police are apparently much more violent, but the army's involvement was greeted with relief from the protestors since they think they'll have more restraint.

Anniversary

Re: In other news...

• Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I really don't understand the politics of the situation, but I have a friend from HS that married an Egyptian and she's posting Facebook status updates every two minutes.  According to her CNN and FoxNews are showing the editted version of events (editted by the Egyptian government) so I'm not sure how reliable any of the news is lately.

I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_other-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:53780d61-7d36-4134-94db-fca4e3209b1aPost:b19e2c2e-5109-4480-bc1c-fe16fbf56e67">Re: In other news...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really don't understand the politics of the situation, but I have a friend from HS that married an Egyptian and she's posting Facebook status updates every two minutes.  According to her CNN and FoxNews are showing the editted version of events (editted by the Egyptian government) so I'm not sure how reliable any of the news is lately.
    Posted by Blue & White[/QUOTE]

I dunno... I tend to trust BBC's reporting, and both BBC and CNN have reporters on the ground.  Communication is tough since the government shut down internet and phone service nationwide.  We'll find out the truth eventually.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011

I just found out from one of my best friend’s that everything is going to helll in Ireland this week. The government has collapsed. Our Prime Minister is refusing to resign so ALL of the head ministers resigned and now the Prime Minister is refusing to leave his house. There is no longer any government. They were on top of the world 5 years ago. It’s like a bad movie.  Ugh, my heart hurts.

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_other-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:53780d61-7d36-4134-94db-fca4e3209b1aPost:44a87b4b-a24e-4c2a-90af-3d26f1614623">Re: In other news...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just found out from one of my best friend’s that everything is going to helll in Ireland this week. The government has collapsed. Our Prime Minister is refusing to resign so ALL of the head ministers resigned and now the Prime Minister is refusing to leave his house. There is no longer any government. They were on top of the world 5 years ago. It’s like a bad movie.   Ugh, my heart hurts.
    Posted by SenoritaCupcake[/QUOTE]

Oh man, that'll break my grandfather's heart!

Anniversary

• Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been following the situation, not as closely as I should though.

I think they have a valid point wants some new blood in power. From what i understand their current leader has been in charge for 30 years.

I've been following the stuff going on in Tunisia more. Also because the Cdn government is trying to revoke permanent residency for some family members of the exiled Tunisian leader.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_other-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:53780d61-7d36-4134-94db-fca4e3209b1aPost:7169b6cf-ff2f-4a23-83d8-efa6485086d3">Re: In other news...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In other news... : Oh man, that'll break my grandfather's heart!
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's sad. Don't tell him, but we're right back to what it was like during the bad times. All of the 20somethings are emmigrating (my best friend and her hubby will be leaving in june), and the taxes on oil heating (what everyone uses) are now so high that no one can afford to heat their homes, which is seriously bad news this time of year.

Oh and YGPM.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_other-news?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:53780d61-7d36-4134-94db-fca4e3209b1aPost:9e1b7947-3492-4616-b38b-4f3670162864">Re: In other news...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: In other news... : Yeah it's sad. Don't tell him, but we're right back to what it was like during the bad times. All of the 20somethings are emmigrating (my best friend and her hubby will be leaving in june), and the taxes on oil heating (what everyone uses) are now so high that no one can afford to heat their homes, which is seriously bad news this time of year.
    Posted by SenoritaCupcake[/QUOTE]

Wow that's crazy! I have a friend who lives there. Guess I should check up on him!
  • PaigeMcCPaigeMcC member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not gonna lie - I haven't been paying attention like I usually do but a close friend is from Egypt and updates her status regularly on the happenings "at home".  That plus CBC is my knowledge for now.  

"Popular on the internetz..."

Canada is kind of like a whole other world with new things to discover that us americans only dream of. - Narwhal
    Paige I would like to profess my love for you and your brilliant mind. - breezerb
    Murried Bio
  • Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is a backgrounder from the CBC on the political issues in Northern Africa and what started everything.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2011/01/27/f-laila-lalami.html

Hopefully that helps.
  • edited December 2011
    I haven't followed it as closely as I should, however I do have a cousin (actually like a 3rd cousin, I think it is, but in my family we don't label, they're all just cousins) who lives in Cairo.  Her mom was actually on the phone with her or on Skype or such when all contact was cut off - they haven't had contact since and she is concerned.  They had told her mom that their intentions were to not leave their home, so they should be relatively safe at this point.  But thanks for bringing it up, I'd appreciate thoughts and prayers for them.

ETA: just saw a post on Facebook from cousin's mom (well, she's also my cousin) that they managed somehow to get a very brief phone call out to her sister and were able to say they're ok - it is calm in their area right now and they're staying put.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards