Retro and Vintage Weddings

To Fascinate or Not

So...I bought everything (well, almost) to make my own fascinator. I have long black ostrich feathers, short duck feathers, felt, clip, glue gun and the piece de resistance is a crystaled fleur de lis. But the more and more I think of it...I think the long feathers is too much. I might go for short but I need to make a decision soon cuz I leave Saturday for my DW.

Anyone else doing/do fascinators? Were they long or short feathered?
Visit Italian.weddings.com

Re: To Fascinate or Not

• i was hoping to have a little one for the reception...but a short one. i think the long ones look silly on me...makes me tiny head look even smaller! lol

House Renovations
    Married Bio

I am a gluten-free, gun-toting wife! :P

I love you, Daddy...2/24/1953 to 2/13/2011image
  • lol Luca, no worries, we've all been there :)

I actually used... uhh, what are they called.... the downy ostrich ones, that are... super flexible I guess? It looks like a big pouf of feathers. But I think I'm adding a bleached and dyed orange peacock feather. It's just so pretty!
    Steph and Chris, 6/26/10
    Planned Executed
  • Do you ladies have directions for making yours? Or are you just winging it? (pardon the pun!)

• I like the smaller feathers unless the fascinator is just one large feather with a crystal or something at the base.  I have a grey fascinator that's a large dark grey flower and it had a small black feather on it...love that thing.
  • I am making feather fascinators for my bridesmaids!  The first one is a success, so I just need to finish the rest.  I was worried about making a mess with glue, so I ended up sewing mine by hand. 

I found instructions for sewing here:  http://www.simplicity.com/t-fascinator-headpiece.aspx But I changed a lot of things around when I made mine.  I wanted to mount them on an alligator clip instead of a comb, since I think that works best in most people's hair.  I ended up sewing each feather individually to a piece of felt that I cut into a long oval.  The feathers I used completely cover up the felt.  Then I was able to sew the alligator clip to the other side of the felt.  To cover up the base stems, I sewed on a decorative bead/button.  I have pics of the one I finished in my bio.  http://robotcakewedding.weebly.com/attendants-attire.html

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • RobotCake - the fascinators that you made for your bridesmaids are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pic and the instructions.  Where did you get your supplies from?  I have never seen a peacock feather like that one before - it's soooo pretty!

• Thank you for the links Luca - I can't wait to see pics of how yours turn out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards