Not Engaged Yet

Do you know what really grinds my gears?

Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:c96ca158-8647-4aee-9b1b-fcb8399f730e">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears? : My father has been doing this lately.  I cannot stay in the same room with him.  It's cutting into my tv time. :(
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

I'm literally loling at this peek! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:ad003ef7-257d-447c-955d-b2256ecdfc54">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I work in customer service (like with a counter) and I HATE it when I'm waiting on someone and another customer walks in and stands not behind them, but next to them. It's so rude in my opinion. I hate it. I never say anything, but Argh! And this is me everday (sometimes twice a day):<strong> I can't stand it when I'm making a right turn off an interstate and the car behind me stays behind me even when he can get in the other lane, pass me, and go quite faster. Why on Earth do they stay behind you????</strong> It makes NO SENSE to me, whatsoever. Rant over.
    Posted by Smooch711[/QUOTE]

So like when you are exiting the freeway?  I don't understand why people slow down before they are on the exit ramp.  There is no need to start tapping the brake or slowing down before you are competely off the highway and on the exit ramp.  It really bothers me when people mess with the flow of traffic.  (exceptions obviously for bad weather and weirdly short ramps, etc)

Also, when exiting why do some people immediately start braking and slow down to like 30, then realized they are a long ways from the end of the ramp and speed back up to 45 or so.  I know this is only because I drive a stick and want to just coast in neutral the whole way. 

Also people who drive in the middle lane for no reason.  The right lane could be completely open, but people will still move into the middle lane.  I call these people Goldilocks drivers (because apparently the right lane is too slow, but the middle lane is just right).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:87b28bcc-bda2-4093-82d7-908ef6f8737b">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or people who refuse to blow their fvccking noses.  Quit snorting it back and blow the nonsense out.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

My coworker does this and it GROSSES me out so badly.  I cringe when I hear him do it.
  • oh gosh, "when you know you know"

eye to eye, beth!

But that COULD be because the one in real life person that said "when you know you know" BASICALLY told me that my relationship "didn't count" because we started long distance.  Um, we've still been dating longer than you've been together, even if you have two kiddos.

Needless to say, we're not friends with that couple any longer.  They also will not be invited to a future wedding, and are completely oblivious to the fact that they wrote themselves out of our lives by being such ignorant people.

I'm one of the loud sneezers right now :(  But LUCKILY I didn't sneeze in the class I had to teach this morning, haha.  I consider that a success. 
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Don't even get me started on traffic and people driving.. my biggest pet peeve is people who don't signal....

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:2196a748-7aea-42ae-bd2f-34802fbdd0b3">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears? : So like when you are exiting the freeway? <strong> I don't understand why people slow down before they are on the exit ramp.  There is no need to start tapping the brake or slowing down before you are competely off the highway and on the exit ramp.  It really bothers me when people mess with the flow of traffic.</strong>  (exceptions obviously for bad weather and weirdly short ramps, etc) Also, when exiting why do some people immediately start braking and slow down to like 30, then realized they are a long ways from the end of the ramp and speed back up to 45 or so.  I know this is only because I drive a stick and want to just coast in neutral the whole way.  Also people who drive in the middle lane for no reason.  The right lane could be completely open, but people will still move into the middle lane.  I call these people Goldilocks drivers (because apparently the right lane is too slow, but the middle lane is just right).
    Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

This. It drives me crazy when people cannot drive on the freeway without it disturbing traffic or making other people slow down.

On the other side though, I hate those stupid people who drive 100 miles an hour when it's pouring down rain or snowing. It's not okay to drive like a mad person when you could easily cause an accident.  When I went to traffic court a year ago some guy was arguing that he shouldn't have gotten a ticket for not driving for the conditions because he was driving the speed limit at the time he got in an accident. It was snowing like crazy and he didn't get that going 35 down a side street wasn't smart.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:9a439c1c-e51a-4767-9c9e-d3f7756d3e48">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't even get me started on traffic and people driving.. <strong>my biggest pet peeve is people who don't signal....</strong>
    Posted by danser55[/QUOTE]

<div>NEW YORKERS.</div>

• audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited January 2013
    I'll stay out of the turn signal convo, but my mom is one who is clearing her throat/sucking stuff down all the time. It was so embarrassing in high school because she would go to a parent meeting and my friend's parents would go home and talk to my friends about "that woman who wouldn't stop making noises" and then I'd catch sh!t at school the next day. 

Know what else grinds my gears? The fuuuuucking engineer licensing board of Texas. They won't let Buggle take her test here in Houston on the day of my wedding, so now she can't come bc she has to take this test in nasty, stinky Iowa. I'm really upset. >:(

ETA: I also hate the phrase "Excuse my language" or "Excuse my french" followed by expletives. If you really wanted someone to forgive you, you wouldn't say it in the first place. I don't say "Excuse me for my actions, but *punch in the face*"
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • My mom is totally a loud sneezer. Scares the living shlt out of me EVERY time.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:86787d93-9ccc-44c9-b80c-aaf2e4163b3e">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'll stay out of the turn signal convo, but my mom is one who is clearing her throat/sucking stuff down all the time. It was so embarrassing in high school because she would go to a parent meeting and my friend's parents would go home and talk to my friends about "that woman who wouldn't stop making noises" and then I'd catch sh!t at school the next day.  Know what else grinds my gears? The fuuuuucking engineer licensing board of Texas. They won't let Buggle take her test here in Houston on the day of my wedding, so now she can't come bc she has to take this test in nasty, stinky Iowa. I'm really upset. />:( ETA: I also hate the phrase "Excuse my language" or "Excuse my french" followed by expletives. If you really wanted someone to forgive you, you wouldn't say it in the first place.<strong> I don't say "Excuse me for my actions, but *punch in the face*"</strong>
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

<div>Why I love Aud: Exhibit A.</div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:53412c43-d78c-46d4-b64f-6abfc4a990a9">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears? : NEW YORKERS.
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

rdr- YUP

I'm a loud sneezer and I hate it, sometimes I try to stifle it and it really hurts when I do.  I'm self conscience about sneezing and I'm a multiple sneezer too.

Anniversary

• I agree with all of these!  Especially loud chewing/slurping.  I have one friend from college who I stopped going to dinner with because he would always talk with his mouth full and chew so loudly.  Gross.

I hatehatehate it when people try to order while talking on their phone.  Hang up or put your freaking phone down.  And don't glare at me when I repeat it back to you to make sure it's correct.  You can ask your mom to hold for a minute while you order your coffee, godd**t.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:9aa9d281-9120-49fd-9653-a92d954d7512">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with all of these!  Especially loud chewing/slurping.  I have one friend from college who I stopped going to dinner with because he would always talk with his mouth full and chew so loudly.  Gross. I hatehatehate it when people try to order while talking on their phone.  Hang up or put your freaking phone down.  And don't glare at me when I repeat it back to you to make sure it's correct.  You can ask your mom to hold for a minute while you order your coffee, godd**t.
    Posted by alleycat821[/QUOTE]

I think the whole talking on the phone while dealing with other people is rude.  I went out with a guy once that the whole time we were out to dinner he was either on the phone (outside) or texting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • I think Liv said this - when people say "Let's take this offline". UGH. When my team was absorbed by another team, we had a ton of meetings with our new boss (who had no idea WTF she was doing), and whenever I asked/challenged her with a good question (and her bosses were present or on the conference line), she'd reply "Let's take this offline." I totally wanted to yell "NO - answer me in front of other people!!!!" SO annoying.

Also - too-serious relationships between high-schoolers. Gross PDA. People whose dogs bark and lunge at other dogs/people and their owners do nothing about it.

And lately, the thing that pisses me off the MOST are those who bring an aggressive dog to an off-leash dog park! Take the time to socialize your dog in a SAFE setting - don't risk the lives of friendly dogs just to "see" if your dog can play nice with others. Grrr!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh my I must be in total b!tch mode today.  I just got a call from my senior and told me I was spearheading a meeting that started at 2pm.  Um, no I'm not.  Why the heck am I the one that has to hold everyone's hand with this whole changing of the system????

What grinds my gears: spearheading a meeting that I had no idea we were having :(

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    When I go into the women's bathroom at work and someone is in there chatting away on her cell phone and then DOESN'T LEAVE when I enter the stall. Your friend on the phone does NOT want to hear me pee (or worse), I assure you.

• I would apparently annoy a lot of you, haha. I call my Dad 'Daddy" occasionally, use the phrase "per" (but normally just when writing notes at work like "per Dr. so and so 650mg of blah blah blah), AND when I'm sick, I can't get anything to come out when I blow my nose, so I sniffle. 

I hate it when you let people out in traffic and they don't wave.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:73ce5582-4f58-405f-9875-41450b5c9d85">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think Liv said this - when people say "Let's take this offline". UGH. When my team was absorbed by another team, we had a ton of meetings with our new boss (who had no idea WTF she was doing), and whenever I asked/challenged her with a good question (and her bosses were present or on the conference line), she'd reply "Let's take this offline." I totally wanted to yell "NO - answer me in front of other people!!!!" SO annoying. Also - too-serious relationships between high-schoolers. Gross PDA. People whose dogs bark and lunge at other dogs/people and their owners do nothing about it. <strong>And lately, the thing that pisses me off the MOST are those who bring an aggressive dog to an off-leash dog park! Take the time to socialize your dog in a SAFE setting - don't risk the lives of friendly dogs just to "see" if your dog can play nice with others. Grrr!</strong>
    Posted by Hummingbird125[/QUOTE]

My dachshund that I used to have got attacked by someone's puggle at the dog park. i was so upset. The other dog had his mouth wrapped around my dog's neck and I was screaming and the owners did NOTHING. I was telling them I would report them if it happened again and they were so nonchalant about the whole ordeal.

Rdr, agreed. I have taken a call in the bathroom before but, always leave if someone comes in.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Uhhh...I call my dad "Daddy". Not when talking about him, but when talking to him. Whenever I get sick and go to blow my nose, nothing comes out. So, I sniffle.
    I'm a loud sneezer.

I can feel the red hot glares of hate.
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• For me, I don't really care if you call your dad "daddy" when talking to him or whatever. That's between the two of you.

But I don't know your father so when you're telling me "daddy did this" and "daddy did that", you're making me stabby. 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:2196a748-7aea-42ae-bd2f-34802fbdd0b3">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears? : So like when you are exiting the freeway?  I don't understand why people slow down before they are on the exit ramp.  There is no need to start tapping the brake or slowing down before you are competely off the highway and on the exit ramp.  It really bothers me when people mess with the flow of traffic.  <strong>(exceptions obviously for bad weather and weirdly short ramps</strong>, etc) Also, when exiting why do some people immediately start braking and slow down to like 30, then realized they are a long ways from the end of the ramp and speed back up to 45 or so.  I know this is only because I drive a stick and want to just coast in neutral the whole way.  Posted by lovelyheather[/QUOTE]

I'll try to clarify. Though you may not like how I drive! The only exit I use is more than "weirdly short." It's dangerous. I do slow down before the exit, because you can't even see it beforehand. I'm not in a city, so a car behind me can pass me fairly easy, without holding up anyone. They never do. I just don't get that.

This morning I had a truck behind me that I actually assumed was getting off at my exit because he wasn't passing me. Nope. . . just stayed in the lane on my a$$.
  • jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Agree with you there, Rdr. I have never referred to my Dad as "Daddy" when talking to someone else about him. I feel the same way when people refer to their SO by name before I know who the hell "Bob" is. 

I have a totally irrational one; I've been watching a lot of NBC ON Demand, and the same Today commercial keeps coming on...like probably 3 times each episode, and I'm about to throw the remote at the TV if I have to see it one more time. 
  • I really hate the phrase "grinds my gears."  I have no idea why, but it really bugs me.

Whistling, cracking knuckles, audibly cleaning your teeth with your tongue - these are all things that I wish I could never hear again because they make me rage with anger.  
  • Vintagelove4Vintagelove4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Egotistical perverts. There is one at work that I want to punch in the face just at the thought of him!!! Rumor has it he's going to get fired for sexual harassment soon. -crosses figures-

Oh and two faced people. They just annoy the crap out of me. I mean seriously if all you want to do is talk about people behind their backs, go back to high school! -_-

I'm also in the don't like chatty movie attender boat.

Edit: Adding an edit because I didn't add an edit for the first time.
    Edit: Spelling.
    Edit: Thank you audrewuh for saving the newb haha
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:965c4605-93db-48b0-9aea-9acc9e550dc0">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Egotistical perverts. There is one at work that I want to punch in the face just at the thought of him!!! Rumor has it he's going to get fired for sexual harassment soon. -crosses figures- Oh and two faced people. They just annoy the crap out of me. <strong>I mean seriously if all you want to do is talk about people behind their backs, go back to highschool! </strong>-_- I'm also in the don't like chatty movie attender boat.
    Posted by Lilyrose4242[/QUOTE]

<div>Sometimes it's warranted. </div>

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:99901d02-8e75-4461-9605-0e4319cf5047">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I really hate the phrase "grinds my gears."  I have no idea why, but it really bugs me</strong>. Whistling, cracking knuckles, audibly cleaning your teeth with your tongue - these are all things that I wish I could never hear again because they make me rage with anger.  
    Posted by K Everdeen12[/QUOTE]

lol, sorry!

I mostly did that to copy off the Family Guy episode.

Anniversary

• When someone says "no offense, but. . . " and then proceeds to say something offensive. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:0e27e790-ab0f-4c2e-8ba2-00a6b1ba2100">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have to add another one. <strong> Loud sneezers.  My mother is one.  The woman the next office over is one.  It sounds like a gorilla being raped.</strong>  Also mouth breathers when you're not sick. And people who eat loudly like smacking lips and everything.  Good lord I'm a b-tch!
    Posted by buddysmom80[/QUOTE]

I am laughing irrationally hard over this. The guy in the next cube is one of these. And that is a fairly accurate description, although I never would have thought of it myself. hahaha.

*******************************************************************************************

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:6e78c1af-c92e-4e85-ab0e-f165f43090f6">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears? : Sometimes it's warranted. 
    Posted by rdr716[/QUOTE]

True, but I'm talking about the people that don't do anything else. :/
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_do-you-know-what-really-grinds-my-gears-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:9fe7339c-3740-44d8-bf1d-29b522fb42b4Post:192cba0f-0908-4bc3-a20d-006cb00047ad">Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Do you know what really grinds my gears? : True, but I'm talking about the people that don't do anything else. :/
    Posted by Lilyrose4242[/QUOTE]

<div>Maybe it's the only thing keeping them sane.</div>
    I french with my man
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards