Vineyard Weddings

PSA: Used wine corks on Etsy

I was searching the internet for used wine corks, and found some on Etsy for $10 for a bag of 100.   They are supposed to be real corks (not synthetic) from a variety of labels.   So if anyone is looking for used corks for arts and crafts projects, you might check this out.  We're going to use them for placecard holders and maybe a few other small projects (I love the cork balls!)

When they arrive, I'll let everyone know how they look.
DSC_9275

Re: PSA: Used wine corks on Etsy

• What's the link to the etsy shop?? I need to get some bulk corks for our wedding decorations as well. I love the cork balls too and can't wait to try and make them!
  • in regards to the cork balls.. what have you guys found on this? pictures? instructions? i am interested in comparing notes! i have made about 7 of them already. my first one was using a WAY TOO big styrofoam ball and i didn't spray paint it first. so i didn't like how the finished product of my first attempt - you could see the white styrofoam. looked really bad to me. so I downsized the ball, spraypainted, and now im left with the dilema on how to hang them? what are you guys doing with the cork balls?
  • What color did you spray paint the styrofoam before putting on the corks?
  • also...paying for corks is ridiculous! i refused to do that! call around to restaurants nearby you and ask if they save them. especially italian restaurants. i dont know where you guys live, but i got big bag fulls from hyde park & carrabbas. i also called a local winery and she gave me a box full. all for free :) good luck!
  • i spray painted purple... but only because my colors are purple. the styrofoam seems to absorb the spray paint and it kind of disintegrates the styrofoam just a little bit. so you'll need to spray it more than you think. ive also seen someone hand paint the styrofoam a sand color to match the corks so it blends more. the purple definitely adds some color.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_vineyard-weddings_psa-used-wine-corks-etsy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:669Discussion:9b586a27-debb-4386-84d5-bb46dc8134edPost:c56a067c-e365-43b5-9677-21fffb9d5ad9">Re: PSA: Used wine corks on Etsy</a>:
    [QUOTE]also...paying for corks is ridiculous! i refused to do that! call around to restaurants nearby you and ask if they save them. especially italian restaurants. i dont know where you guys live, but i got big bag fulls from hyde park & carrabbas. i also called a local winery and she gave me a box full. all for free :) good luck!
    Posted by saramarieosu[/QUOTE]

<div>Unfortunately I'm planning my wedding from overseas, so collecting corks from restaurants is not really an option for me. It would cost me more to ship them home than just buying them from etsy in the first place.  </div>
    DSC_9275
  • i also suggest calling a local restaurant and getting corks. i did this in dc and the restaurant was happy to save corks. i went and picked them up the other day. the restaurant was happy i put them to good use. :) if you are overseas, i can imagine that would be difficult though.
  • edited March 2012
    I have a TON (okay a slight exaggeration) of Corks available.  It's a large box that I ordered from www.widgets.com Anyway, I didn't use them at all - they are all different sizes, all real cork - if anyone is interested, they are still boxed up.  I paid $80 for them plus shipping.  Make me an offer and we can come up with something.
    Jenn
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards