Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion

So um, please tell me about your fencing around your house.

We're thinking of fencing with black chain link. Is that tacky? We have a really large hill in the back yard so I don't know how easy wood would be. I like the look of a really nice wood privacy fence the best, but I don't know how functional that would be on a large hill. The fence has to be tall (6 ft.) and able to keep a naughty dog inside the yard.

Also, it's kind of afternoon for some of you. WFL? What's going on?

Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion

• Options
    I have no fence input, sorry. And I just had Smorz cereal as sort of a breakfast/lunch. So, brunch. I haven't had much of an appetite lately, which is fine with me.

I'm in the process of going through clothes to get rid of. I'm hoping to sell some of them to Plato's Closet because I need cash, but they're pretty selective of what they take.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I don't have much of an opinion on the fencing part. For some reason my mind went to the sport of fencing from the title though.

I had leftover BBQ chicken, brussel sprouts and pasta salad for lunch. Then I was still hungry to I went and bought another bag of chips. The same kind I had eaten at 9am....
  • Options
    We have chain link on one side and it's not my favorite.  I like a solid privacy fence the best, but I don't know what to tell you about the hill.  My yard is as flat as it can be :)

I've been waiting for my cramps to subside so I could eat my salad.  They almost had me in tears a few minutes ago.  Not cool, uterus. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    Brussel sprouts kill me. I am the least picky eater, but brussel sprouts are nasty little devils. But um, good for you for eating a healthy vegetable! Hah.
  • Options
    Did you buy a house? I feel like i missed something.

Anyway, I have no clue about fencing. Black chain link sounds less tacky than silver chain link though. And I think chain link in the back yard is NBD, it sometimes looks funny out front though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:55ddefc1-0ce9-42f6-ab86-7a7c98c82b33">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you buy a house? I feel like i missed something. Anyway, I have no clue about fencing. Black chain link sounds less tacky than silver chain link though. And I think chain link in the back yard is NBD, it sometimes looks funny out front though.
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]

<div>We close August 1. Everything is ready to go. I haven't talked about it much. I feel like I will jinx it! But, I need to decide on fencing and get everything set up and ready for installation. Fence is the first thing I need to get to done.</div><div>
    </div><div>And yes, the fence would only be in the back. A very tiny section would be visible from the front. </div>
  • Options
    Erin, my whole family loves brussel sprouts. We're weird. :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:f225ce66-df9c-4389-ad8f-f58f2cd16cc6">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]We have a picket fence around our yard. It's about 4.5' tall.<strong> I don't know if I would say a chain link fence is tacky, but it isn't the most aesthetically pleasing solution. It would probably be cheaper than a wooden fence.  I'm not sure how the hill would affect the fence.</strong> We have a hill in our yard and it worked okay. Other than that, I'm just sitting here, waiting for this workday to end. My coworker came back from vacation today. I didn't miss her at all. She is so irritating.
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

<div>I definitely agree that chain link is not...pretty. The thing I'm worried about is that the fence needs to be completely, 100% flush to the ground so Fox won't dig under and get out. I don't know if it's easy to install a wooden fence on a hill so it sits completely on the ground. The hill is pretty steep.</div>
  • Options
    Yay for buying a house! Congrats! I must have missed that as well. I agree with Anna that black will look better than silver. Both my neighbors and the people I nanny for have black wrought iron fences in their backyards, but neither of them have a hill.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:f04416cd-d5cd-4951-9bdf-de8740e26e82">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have much of an opinion on the fencing part. <strong>For some reason my mind went to the sport of fencing from the title though. </strong>I had leftover BBQ chicken, brussel sprouts and pasta salad for lunch. Then I was still hungry to I went and bought another bag of chips. The same kind I had eaten at 9am....
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

I did this too!

Sorry, I don't have any fencing advice.  At my parents' house they have a wooden fence on the part of the yard you can see from the road.  The rest of the yard is hidden but has a chain fence instead.  We lived on a steep hill but the wooden part wasn't really on the hill part so I can't offer much help.

I had a boring salad for lunch.  I need to go grocery shopping tonight.
  • Options
    Is there anyway you could not fence the hill in... like only fence in the flat part of your backyard for Fox, or would that look stupid?
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    You shouldn't have a problem doing a wooden fence unless the hill is really extreme. My mom's neighborhood is hilly and many people have wooden fences. That said, while not the prettiest in the world, black chain link is going to be significantly cheaper. Like probably less than half (but don't quote me on that).

And (almost!) congratulations on the house!
    Lizzie
  • Options
    I, too, thought you were talking about the sport. Sidenote: my mother, in all of her odd glory, was a fencer and an accordion player. 

We have a wooden privacy fence with a chain link gate. My parents' house (and nearly every yard in their neighborhood) has chain link. Some of the yards have small hills, and it looks fine. I like it in their neighborhood, since all the neighbors like to hang over the fences and chat. In my neighborhood, I prefer to not get to know my neighbors, and the privacy fence is awesome for that.

I don't think the black chain link would be tacky. 
  • Options
    If there are a lot of trees/bushes around the property line then a brown coated chain link fence would blend into the background better.  I don't like fences but surrender to the necessity, especially with children and dogs.  Our fence was here already and we find the brown the best option of the chainlink variety.  I had never seen it before here.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:f04416cd-d5cd-4951-9bdf-de8740e26e82">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't have much of an opinion on the fencing part. For some reason my mind went to <strong>the sport of fencing </strong>from the title though. I had leftover BBQ chicken, brussel sprouts and pasta salad for lunch. Then I was still hungry to I went and bought another bag of chips. The same kind I had eaten at 9am....
    Posted by midgetthemighty[/QUOTE]

Me too!  I was so excited to talk about fencing.

I have no opinions on this kind of fencing though.  sad.
  • Options
    We've got a new 6' privacy fence to our left, an old decrepit 6' privacy fence to our right and a 3' chain link fence behind us.  H tore down the 3' chain link that went between the house and the decrepit fence to our right and put in a beautiful privacy fence.  Instead of having a crossboard near the top and bottom that the boards are nailed into, the boards are sandwiched between 1x2 runners that go along the absolute top and bottom.  He then added a toprail.  It looks beautiful and when we replace the decrepit fence, that's probably what we'll do. 
    You should be ok doing a privacy fence on a hill.  If your dog's a jumper, put the crossboards on the outside.  Our dog used to be able to jump, hit that middle board and launch over the top.  PITA!!!!
  • Options
    It's funny how many people thought you were talking about the sport of fencing... my mind would never have gone there. It's just funny how people have different perspectives and think differently, etc.

Cool story, Angel.
  • Options
    Well I'm glad I'm not alone. I don't even know much about the sport of fencing so who knows why my mind went there.

Congratulations on the almost house!
  • Options
    I have not gotten to lunch yet. I slept in. The last two nights, Cooper and I have slept for about eleven hours. 

I have to go to the podiatrist this afternoon. My feet have swollen to like, twice their size, and they hurt like crazy. They also don't fit in my shoes.
  • Options
    Well that's exciting. If it's only in the back I would go with whatever is easy and cheap. Maybe you could eventually grow some vines to cover it. Well, unless that destroys the fence. I don't know how these things work.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Why are your feet swollen, Special? That sounds sucky.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:a4ca3c9a-a9e9-412c-b50d-21d38a0b12b9">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why are your feet swollen, Special? That sounds sucky.
    Posted by ErinG93[/QUOTE]

<div>No clue. Maybe from flying, but the flight was only two hours and I kept my legs moving.</div><div>
    </div><div>I usually wear a women's 11 narrow, but I had to borrow a pair of H's sandals to go outside yesterday. He wears a men's (obviously) 12 wide.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:a1669305-1656-4ad7-898c-9baae4f0727d">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's funny how many people thought you were talking about the sport of fencing... my mind would never have gone there. It's just funny how people have different perspectives and think differently, etc. Cool story, Angel.
    Posted by angelstar975[/QUOTE]

Because I know things about the verb fencing but nothing about the noun fencing (:
  • Options
    My feet always swell when I fly. They never get huge but it can take a few days for them to recover. It's annoying. I hope the doctor can fix you Special.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:1cace283-7433-4dbb-a724-7b967b5cc1a6">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Well that's exciting. If it's only in the back I would go with whatever is easy and cheap. Maybe you could eventually grow some vines to cover it. Well, unless that destroys the fence. I don't know how these things work.
    Posted by RupertPenny[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, it would be easier and cheaper to do chain link. The other thing is that I think with wood fencing you've got to stain it and there's more to keep up. I'm lazy. I kind of want a 'one and done' deal. 

</div>
  • Options
    Just a note about fencing.  If you are putting in a privacy fence between your neighbours, ask them if they'd like to help with the cost.  Sometimes they will kick in since it benefits them also. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    angelstar975angelstar975 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    My feet once swelled up for months... I went up half a size, and then eventually my old shoes started fitting again.

ETA - I thought I hit post on this, so it's a few minutes late.
  • Options
    I hope your feet get back to normal Special. I've never heard of feet swelling due to flying.
  • Options
    My hands and feet swell a little bit during a flight, but it goes down pretty quickly. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-fencing-questions-discussion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:b8dad912-83db-477f-947a-24e5f63b41eaPost:e3246d5f-3d9c-4eda-a41f-ac868e6f1191">Re: NWR - Fencing Questions, Discussion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay random question but is anyone else's E "homepage" changing in size?   Loopy and LC's names keep going from underneath to the side, so the columns expand and decrease.
    Posted by edielaura[/QUOTE]

Yes. The same thing happens to pages of threads. Sometimes all of the words fit in one line under a post and sometimes they don't.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards