Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

submerged orchid centerpiece

We are interested in using tall glass cylinders with submerged orchids in water with a tea light candle at top. Does anyone know aproximate cost for these? Anybody use the same and can reccomend a florist in the philadelphia area?

Re: submerged orchid centerpiece

• edited December 2011
    Petals Lane - http://petalslane.com/

For our cocktail tables we're doing something similar on a smaller scale - we're doing a submerged rose in a glass cylinder with a tea light candle on top, and those are $12 each. Brittany is really fantastic - super inspired and creative and not overpriced. She was significantly less than other people that we met with (I met with four florists).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am not doing this, but when I was at my consultation with my florist another couple was and I saw it mocked up. It looked beautiful. My florist is Carl Alan.

www.carlalan.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Planning Bio
    Philly Siggy Challenge: The Ring!
  • lauren123455lauren123455 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also using Carl Alan and having submerged orchids in my low centerpieces.  I'm doing 3 vases of varying heights for the low centerpiece - one with a large calla lilly, one with tulips, and one with dendrobian orchids.  I think the low centerpieces are running around $120-125 each.  But that's for the 3 vases with subperged flowers.  It'd likely be a lot less with just one vase.  I highly recommend Carl Alan - you'll mock up these centerpieces at your initial consultation, so you'll know exactly what it will look like and what it will cost ---- and if it's over/under budget he'll adjust accordingly.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    It also depends on the height of your cylinder vases. Dollar tree had cylinder vases at the 7-8 inch height, but I know the vases over 10 inches are much more costly. Also, if you plan on using submersible lights, that will add to the cost. I used submersible LEDs and I liked them so much I didn't submerge any flowers in the water! If my budget wasn't so tight, I would have!
  • Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did this, but we had more than one cylinder at each table. The most reasonable prices I found for this type of centerpiece was from Passion for Petals. They turned out beautifully!
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used Whimsical Welcomes for my flowers and they were beautiful.  Leslie encourages brides to supply their own vases, which really helps cut down costs. She is wonderful to work with, very creative, and budget friendly.  I've seen submerged flowers like you're talking about in her albums, but I didn't have them at my wedding. She's located in Montgomery County and works out of her home so she isn't as expensive as a flower shop and has been very poplular on this board.  Check out her pictures on her website and her blog at www.whimsicalwelcomes.com.
  • edited December 2011
    Just a side note: If you provide your own glass cylinders, it does help with cost...but then what the heck are you going to do with them afterwards? If you rent them, you don't have to worry about picking them up afterwards and you don't have to worry about selling them.

Maybe I'm just lazy :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jessa1228jessa1228 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-philadelphia_submerged-orchid-centerpiece?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:105Discussion:77041355-4341-4066-80c0-349f935543a7Post:56391a6d-0df7-4071-8c3a-21918a898fc6">Re: submerged orchid centerpiece</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just a side note: If you provide your own glass cylinders, it does help with cost...but then what the heck are you going to do with them afterwards? If you rent them, you don't have to worry about picking them up afterwards and you don't have to worry about selling them. Maybe I'm just lazy :)
    Posted by bridetobe71412[/QUOTE]

<div>The last wedding I was at, the bride told the guests left at the end of the night to take the centerpieces with them because she didn't want them. Granted they were just small flower arrangements, but I guess that's an option too.</div>
    Anniversary
  • nancyrnancyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    just be careful if you're using real candles and not LEDs-some glass won't take the heat and will crack and ...well a swimming time will be had by all sitting around the table! Went to a wedding where the bride didn't get glass that could 'take the heat' ...major mess.  Test yours out especially if you're going to the Dollar Store or somewhere similar to buy them.  Saw a florist demo how to do these yourself at a bridal show once, she suggested buying silks, that by the time you submerge them, add a light, no one will know the difference.  I suspect it depends on the colors and quality of the silks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards