Military Brides

When do guests stay over night?

My fiance and I are really trying to get married on a military base. The closest base to us is an hour away. Is this too far to ask guests to travel? If it is an hour away would we need to invite guests to spend the night?

Re: When do guests stay over night?

• Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i don't think its too far to ask them.  If they have a problem with it they won't go.  And many might carpool.  I would just find a nearby hotel that will give you a group rate hopefully and recommend that to your guests.  One of my aunts got married an hour and a half away from where almost her whole family lived (because thats where she and her now husband live).  None of us had a problem driving there and staying the night.  If you do I would just definitely make nice out of town bags for the guests at the hotel as a thank you.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    An hour is definitely not too far. For our wedding, we had people who drove from as far as 3 hours away and didn't spend the night. Most were coming from 45 minutes - 1.5 hours away. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I concur that an hour is definitely not far away.  I used to go clubbing (back when I could stay up until 2am!) and the nearest city was an hour away.  We would come home at 4 and it would be no problem!  However, if you feel that people might want to crash for the night (due to alcohol), you can call some hotels in the area and ask them to give you a cheaper, blocked price for your guests.  This will offer guests a place to stay for cheaper and will reduce the time that they will have to spend on finding a place if they needed one. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards