Florida-Central Florida

Registry

When do you start picking out stuff for your registry, since I know people don't really start buying till a month out for the wedding.

also suggestions on how many picked just one store, or multiples?  

Re: Registry

• Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I read somewhere that they suggest like 6 months early, that way you're registered when you have any showers too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • vedikavedika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered back in January/February of this year..I had my shower in mid June and we're getting married in August..We have a lot of out of town guests asking, since they wouldn't be able to make it so we went ahead and did it :]
  • edited December 2011
    we actually registered on our "negative 1st" anniversary haha just for fun. Plus we knew we had engagement parties coming up and people appreciated us registering. You can always change/add/delete as you go. Good luck!
  • cjbwifey2010cjbwifey2010 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did our registry sometime in January and are getting married in 2 weeks. We had a lot of out of town guests and we started getting gifts i would say in mid April! We registered at 2 places even though it doesn't really help my family because they live in Canada and neither store is there! Some purchased online though.

We ended up going with BBB and Macys. They were the easiest registries to set up  and the most common stores for people to get to!
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did mine a year ahead just to get it done. I've changed it a lot as the year progressed but I like to do things ahead of time.  I would register at a brick and mortar store that has a large variety of things at various price points like Target.  You can also choose an online registry like myregistry.com to get stuff that isn't sold at your brick and mortar store.  
  • edited December 2011
    I registered in December and am getting married in 13 days. We also started getting wedding gifts in April. I wanted to be registered for the shower too.
    We only registered at BB&B. We were able to find everything we needed there and since they have the 20% off coupons so readily available, I thought that would be a nice favor to do for the guests.
  • sarah42ndsarah42nd member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I started mine last month and I am getiing married in March . I am sending out my save the dates  August and I have a very busy rest of the summer so I am trying to get a little done each day or so . So by the time my STDs go out it will be done . So 6 months before wedding date . I picked two stores Target and Kohls .
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I signed up on theknot 8 months out and it was on my to-do list. Its one of my many things that I am behind on but I will probably register at 3 places to give people a variety. I think its a good idea to get it done before your engagement party though incase people want to get you something.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I think we started ours sometime last month and we are getting married in November.   

So far we are registered at Macy's and William Sonoma.  I have also been considering Crate and Barrel as well.
  • edited December 2011
    yes because I know we both love Crate and Barrel and Macy's. He loves to cook and would like some items from William's and Sonomia and then I would considere either target or BBB. But that is 4 places then to register. I feel like that is a lot of hassle.  I have used Myregistry.com as a guest and it was semi-user friendly. I wonder if there are others that let you place multipul stores on one site?
  • Britt1406Britt1406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_registry-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:66Discussion:94331a86-8841-4718-9713-55fba218ecd1Post:467c3b17-107a-47c6-9d01-c54b963ffa4a">Re: Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE] I wonder if there are others that let you place multipul stores on one site?
    Posted by irisheyezfsu[/QUOTE]

Amazon.com has a registry too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    October 2012 Pumpkin Patch Babies click here for list.
  • edited December 2011
    does it allow you to put stores like macy's and crate and barrel on it?
  • edited December 2011
    When you have too many registries you spread yourself too thin at places and may end up with a lot of stuff not on your registry. I would think two, three stores max. I don't know about any of those websites that do multiple registries.
  • kenzie.lee.85kenzie.lee.85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Willams and Sonoma, Crate and Barrel and Target, a lot of people on fiances side dont know what Willam and Sonoma and Crate Barrel is, so we thought Target would work for everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    watched theknot.com videos about registry, they were helpful. They actually suggest 2-4 stores with one having an online registry though most stores do now.  My fiance and I talked about it yesturday we feel we are first going to go to macy's, william sonomia, and crate and barrel and see what styles they have we like best. We love all three stores but will try to limit ourselves between the three to two of them and then have a general target.  I have several out of town guest and I know not all have william sonomia or crate and barrel in their area. Also we know that a lot will probably be shipped to us from the store.  While my FI's family are major in store shoppers and don't do a lot of online shopping. 

theknot also suggest having 2x the amount on the registry as your guest list. Does that seem a lot or just me. I know my friend who just got married had 120 guests and probably only had 100 items on her list.
  • edited December 2011
    I had about 1 item per guest on my BBB registry and random amount on my target reg. I got much more cash than gifts so i dont think it really matters. We don't even plan on getting a lot off the list now that the wedding is over. There are only certain things that we really want left.
  • edited December 2011
    All the stores recommend 2x the items than guests to give them variety (like in case all  that is left is a $50 item and they can only spend $20 or something). I didn't listen and just registered for what we needed. Pick out however much you want, it doesn't really matter nor is it something to stress about, but I would make sure I had at least 1 gift per guest on there.
  • andee1353andee1353 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You really have to think about your general guest list as well. The high end stores like C&B and WS and Macy's really limit your gift options. How many people are able to purchase at the high end store? Your guests will get so much more for their money at BBB or Target or even Macy's where you can find the same things as WS or C&B. And your guests can use their 20% coupon at BBB. Don't spread yourself too thin or you'll run the risk of getting lots of things you do not want then you'll be running around returning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards