Second Weddings
Options

kinda scared - not wedding related

Ok, so this isn't wedding related, but I am freaking out a little and need to vent.  I had my annual mammo yesterday (43 yrs old), and today my doctor's office called me requesting I come in for some additional pictures.  Of course, they said not to panic, but that's exactly what I'm doing.  I know it's possible that they just didn't get good pictures or need a little more clarification, but I can't help but get the worst case scenario out of my mind.  I go back in next Wednesday.  I've researched this online (I know, bad bad bad) and know the odds are in my favor that everything's fine, but I'm stressing anyway.  This sucks.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: kinda scared - not wedding related

• Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Tonia - I'm right there with you when the doctor calls and wants more information, pictures or tests run, I panic... It's normal to do that especially when they say not to... (at least for me). 

Probably what happened was that either the tech under or over exposed things or you might have moved.  Humans and the machines they program make mistakes it happens unfortunately and then we panic.

I hope that everything is fine and that there was a technical mishap and that is why they need more pictures.

Please keep us posted and remember to breathe (us girls tend to forget to do that when panicked or nervous).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks - that's what I'm hoping too.  Everything in my life is finally so happy, it's hard not to feel like it's time for something bad to happen.  Yes, I'll try to remember to breathe...and be positive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Marrin713Marrin713 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kinda-scared-not-wedding-related?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:ab988b7f-e666-4a5f-8037-3f4c84dc3808Post:32f425db-4731-45d5-bbb3-5a67a8d8b6e9">Re: kinda scared - not wedding related</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks - that's what I'm hoping too.  <strong>Everything in my life is finally so happy, it's hard not to feel like it's time for something bad to happen.</strong>  Yes, I'll try to remember to breathe...and be positive.
    Posted by toniaz[/QUOTE]

I get you; but try not to stress over it.  When you go back next week, it will be read right away and you'll know before you even leave the place.
  • Options
    fireytigerfireytiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't panic!!! My FI has a congenital heart condition and has to go every 6 months to a year for MRIs and echocardiograms (basically a sonogram on his heart). Last time, they made him go back in twice for the echo because they screwed up the first one, but of course they just said "oh, we just need more pictures!" and then ended up redoing the entire thing, lol. They typically won't admit that something got screwed up, they'll just say they need more pictures. So don't worry until they tell you to worry!
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This exact same thing happened to me two years ago.  It was completely nerve-wracking!  Just hang on until your next appt and, as PP said, you will know (something) before you go home that day.

I wish you the best.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have mammos often because I have calcification in the milk ducts. They call me back for more pics every time, you'd think they know from the first diagnosis that they are milk duct calcium.

I don't ever panic about it, it seems par for the course. Please don't get yourself upset over this.
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally understand!

A couple of years ago my OB/GYN did a breast exam and said "Did you know you have a lump here?". OMG, I freaked.......then I had the "emergency" mammo, then they decided they wanted to do a biopsy.

Well, I was scared through the entire time, waiting. Went in for the biopsy, they numbed the area, and even though I'm squeamish, I watched the doctor put the little "worms" (that's all they look like) he took out with a hypodermic needle and put into clear liquid.

THEN I waited for the news. All was good, everything was begign. So, the fact they want to do another mammogram isn't always a bad thing. Could just be the picture, as others have said.

If you don't have a breast cancer history in your family, you probably don't need to worry. Just go along with their tests, etc, and stay focused.

PS, I have three friends who were all diagnosed with breast cancer, very young ages, in their 40's...........every one of them are cancer free for more than 5 years. But please, keep us posted on your results, this group is good for morale support.
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sometimes those machines do not work right or the tech makes a mistake.  It is not uncommon for you to be called back in for more pics.  Hang in there, and I am sure it will be OK.

Thanks for the reminder - I turned 40 this last Fall and know I need to make an appointment with the OB/GYN and I am sure they will want to schedule my first ever mammogram.  Fun times - as long as they do not do it the week of my wedding I will be fine. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone for the support.  I actually called my doctor today to get some specifics.  He told me there was a spot visible in one view, but not the other, so that's why more pictures are needed.  Also I have very dense tissue.  Could just be tissue overlap, etc.  Still nervous but feel a little better after talking to him too.  He said it happens all the time that people are called back in, and not to worry.  I'll try...Anyway, thank you all for your words, and I'll keep you informed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    handfast4mehandfast4me member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been followed for 5 years because of a cyst that was suspicious.  It was drained, but others appeared.  I've also got a history of breast cancer in my family, so the oncology and breast health teams are pretty cautious.    It's a pain in the boob, literally, but don't panic yet.  They are probably wanting to do a "grand study" which is additional pictures that aren't done during a normal mammo.  I was finally "released" from intense follow up to normal, 1x yearly mammos this past fall.   

Please let us know how it turns out. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad to hear you called your doctor back.  I too have dense tissue so have had to go back for extra and sonograms.  I hope you have been able to de-stress since speaking with your doctor.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    130image Invited to dance the night away!
    92image Want to show their best moves!
    38image Have two left feet and won't be dancing!
    0image Are too embarrased to say they don't dance!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards