Hawaii

Question about paying vendors

Hi everyone,

I have a question about paying vendors.  I'm noticing that some vendors want the balance paid 4 weeks before the wedding date - is this common?  I had expected to pay a retainer now, and then pay the balance on the day of the wedding, once their services have been provided.  If I pay the balance 4 weeks before, how can I be sure they will show up on the wedding date?  Any advice would be appreciated!  Thanks!

Re: Question about paying vendors

• jtolyjtoly member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I'd be worried about that too! I paid half when I booked and can pay the balance at anytime, even aft our beach ceremony which is what I plan to do. Maybe be upfront and ask the vendors that very question. I'm not sure what other people have done. Good luck!
    ~jenn~ Photobucket Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    It depends on the vendor, but payment in full before the event is not uncommon.  Ours really varied.  Our photog wanted payment in full 2 weeks in advance.  DJ wanted balance the day of.  Videog collected remaining balance after the event.  It really does just vary, but those who collect early are mostly doing it to ensure it doesn't get forgotten on the wedding day and to alleviate one stress point.  I've also seen it vary based on whether they have any leverage on you after the event -- our videographer can withhold our footage, but the tent company wouldn't have similar leverage.

I've actually never heard of a vendor collecting and not showing up -- especially in a small community like Hawaii where word spreads fast and your reputation with our partners is everything.  Do you have a WC?  If so, check with them on vendors and the payment policy. However, if they're a trusted vendor that has been well reviewed here or elsewhere, you most likely have nothing to worry about.
  • AKWinterBrideAKWinterBride member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We found that to be the norm for our wedding.  We signed contracts with all of them, and our coordinator had worked with them all before so we were happy to have all the payments taken care of before the wedding.  One less thing to think about the day of.  One thing about being a DW bride is that you have to put a certain amount of trust into your vendors.  One reason why I think have a coordinator is beneficial is because they do have relationships and trust with vendors. 
    Photobucket Photobucket Anniversary
  • destiny1108destiny1108 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We paid all of our vendors in advance, although there were a couple (minister, guitarist) that would allow us to pay them on the day of which our WC said we could just give them envelopes to distiribute.  I'm glad we did, the week of the wedding was crazy busy with getting license, trips to the airport, etc. and it was one less thing to worry about.

We asked about vendors not showing up during our initial consultations and our WC assured us that she only works with professionals and has never had an issue.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Tanq--it varied by company, and her leverage point is spot on.  

Make sure you have a contract, something in writing.  If you're worried about them not showing up, then paying with credit card is best. Then the CC company can help sort it out, and you have proof of payment.  Check is next best, and of course, cash is troublesome if you want a paper trail to cover all possible outcomes.

• dianalynmdianalynm member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The only vendor that is requiring the balance in advance is our florist. I'm assuming becuase the flowers need to be paid for in advance (maybe?), so having the balance helps with that. Not sure, but most everyone I booked required the remaining balance on the day of. :)
    DW Siggy Challenge
    Dream Honeymoon Destination: Bora Bora

My Planning Bio *updated 04/10/12*

Visit Maui.Weddings.com
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the responses!  It does make sense to not have to worry about it on the day of the wedding.  This particular vendor is for hair and make-up, so I'll see if she'll agree to receiving payment when I go in for my trial session the week before!  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards