Wedding Party

Flower girl required?

FI has a 4 year-old niece.  He is not particularly close with his bro or SIL.

We are not having any attendants up there with us -  no GM or BMs.  It's just not our style. 

I get the feeling FI's family is a little peeved this little girl doesn't have a role in our wedding.

Is there some unspoken rule that little kids  should play a role in the wedding?

Re: Flower girl required?

• Nope. Not required.
  • Is there some unspoken rule that little kids  should play a role in the wedding? It sounds like there is. Your in-laws had an unspoken and unreasonable expectation.

But, it was unreasonable. There is no real rule that you must have a flower girl.
  • Winnertag1Winnertag1 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2012
    Nope, no flower girl is required. In some families it is expected that all immediate family members will be included in the wedding party (brothers & sisters & their kids if they have any) which I think is very unfair. You can have whomever you want (or no one) in your party.

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We're planning a simple, outdoor,day-time wedding with 1 MOH and 1 BM.  The issue is that several close people have flower girl and ring bearer age children:  my MOH, my oldest friend (not in wedding party), my first cousin/close friend, my sister.  If I invited them all I could have 4 flower girls and 2 ring bearers.  I think having kids in the ceremony would be cute, but it seems like 6 kids is too much and it's hard to choose among them.  Any advice?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards