Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Length of Bridesmaid dress

I'm struggling with the BM's dresses. Is there a particular type of length that's appropriate/inappropriate for an evening wedding in July? I'm not sure if I want the dresses to be long.  Thanks!

Re: Length of Bridesmaid dress

• Options
    jay10jay10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am doing floor length black satin, as my wedding is November and the girls will get cold....but for summer wedding i think anything goes.  I had planned cocktail length and then when I went shopping I changed my mind......I personally would not do long for summer wedding but its up to you!
    Good Luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are doing cocktail length for our evening July wedding.  Unless its blacktie and the other guests would be wearing long gowns, there is no need for the bridesmaids to.
    GP February Siggy Challenge:
    Black History Month

TTC since Feb 2012
    Diagnosed with PCOS and anovulation
    2 round clomid 1 round femara--no response
    1st round injectables/IUI 1/31---BFP! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Fantastic! Thanks so much.  You've have helped lower my anxiety level.  Good luck with the rest of your planning!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My cousin did long lace bridesmaids dresses in late June and we were miserable because of the heat and humidity.  I'd suggest something light and short, since you want your girls to be comfortable
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing short, just below the knee for our August wedding.  I figured they'd be more comfortable since its summer and the ceremony is outdoors.  Ceremony is at 4:30 PM.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that unless you having a black tie wedding, it's really more the fabric then the length that matters.  We're having the GM in tuxes and the BMs have a short taffeta dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_massachusetts-boston_length-of-bridesmaid-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:89Discussion:798578fb-a703-427b-82ea-5aa3b538f6e5Post:f7609d75-fe3f-4277-b020-3ee33b587b84">Re: Length of Bridesmaid dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think that unless you having a black tie wedding, it's really more the fabric then the length that matters.</strong>  We're having the GM in tuxes and the BMs have a short taffeta dress.
    Posted by EKobrenski[/QUOTE]

That is exactly what I have read in multiple places. I think we are doing short because that's what my BMs prefer and they are the ones wearing it.
  • Options
    Shazzie116Shazzie116 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As someone who was a bridesmaid in the dead heat of July 2 years ago in a long satin & chiffon dress, I think anything short would be much appreciated by your BMs. Nothing worse than sweaty thighs when standing for pictures. Tongue out 
  • Options
    lundarlundar member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm a summer wedding and doing cocktail length taffeta too. The girls are excited about them (at least they are saying they are) since they will probably get to use them again. I had a great experience with J Crew.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having floor length satin dress, but my wedding is in october.

I think for July you could do tea length dresses no problem! And I would go for a lighter fabric maybe too
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at 4:30 in July, and my girls are wearing knee length dresses. I think either short or long would be fine, just go by what you like and think about if they will be too hot, if you are spending a lot of time outside.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess I'm a minority - my girls are wearing long dresses for August.  Honestly, myself and all of my girls tried it on and couldn't get over how comfortable the dress was and how light it was.  I also was a bridesmaid in late July and wore a long dress and was completely comfortable the whole night.  Like others said -  it depends on the fabric and how light the dress is.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My girls are in long charmeuse dresses for my June evening wedding. If it we do end up having the ceremony outside, I'll make sure they're well hydrated. :o)  Hopefully, I won't get any complaints since they picked out their dresses. lol
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I figured since our wedding is at the end of June, and I wanted them to get a dress they'd potentially wear again, we went with dresses that hit right at/below the knee. I'm tempted to get one for myself!
    Married June 26, 2010! | Wedding/For Sale Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in August and have picked out long Alfred Angelo strapless dresses. My wedding is more elegant (not black tie though) and wanted to keep the effect.
    Also, they tried on tea-length dresses and even shorter dresses that fell around the knee and they all looked odd on them. It was like the dress was cut weird and the shorter girls had the dress look like tea-length and the taller girls had the dress come up above the knee. It was just all over the place. I just didn't like the look of the shorter dresses anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards