Pennsylvania-Central

Marriage license

Our officiant is a good friend who is ordained through the Internet. I am confused by the type of license we need in order to become married. I called the Berks County Registry of Wills and they said we need a special license that they do not provide, but other counties do. Anyone know what I am talking about? Help!!!

Re: Marriage license

• We got out license from York county. Their website specifically said that PA does not allow anyone ordained on the internet to perform wedding ceremony's. I wasn't aware that certain counties would do this.

Good luck!

• Internet ordained ministers are not legal officiants in PA. You can however get a selfuniting license or Quaker marriage and unite yourselves, which is what we did. Your friend can still lead the ceremony. Every county is PA is SUPPOSED to issue self uniting licenses but several refuse. We go ours in Chester County and had no problem. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-central_marriage-license-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:107Discussion:0bc2cda0-a489-4574-b9b9-10baa9cb064cPost:f04f8768-3245-44cb-aa62-5aefc9369606">Re:Marriage license</a>:
    [QUOTE]Internet ordained ministers are not legal officiants in PA. You can however get a selfuniting license or Quaker marriage and unite yourselves, which is what we did. Your friend can still lead the ceremony. Every county is PA is SUPPOSED to issue self uniting licenses but several refuse. We go ours in Chester County and had no problem. Feel free to PM me if you have questions.
    Posted by daria24[/QUOTE]

THanks!  We are going to be getting our license in Chester County as well.  So, you just asked for a Quaker license?
  • We just went in and said that we would like a self uniting license. They literally didn't even blink. After reading about a lot of people having problems, I was prepared for the worst but they just treated it the same as a normal license application.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards