Alabama
Options

Alterations on wedding gown

It is time that I get serious about finding someone to do the alterations on my wedding dress. I don't know that much about it, though. Do any of you have any suggestions of what I should look for in a seamstress and/or questions I should ask? My dress is lace and it only needs to be shortened and some bling removed (I've been told that this shouldn't be hard to remove). It fits perfectly everywhere else thankfully. :-)
Anniversary

Re: Alterations on wedding gown

• Options
    edited April 2012
    It is time that I get serious about finding someone to do the alterations on my wedding dress. I don't know that much about it, though. Do any of you have any suggestions of what I should look for in a seamstress and/or questions I should ask? My dress is lace and it only needs to be shortened and some bling removed (I've been told that this shouldn't be hard to remove). It fits perfectly everywhere else thankfully. :-)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Does the shop where you bought it do alterations?  I would start there.
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • Options
    No, they don't. And if they did, I don't think I would want to use them. I received absolutely no help from the shop when I bought my dress. 

I'm not asking for suggestions for a specific shop to do the alterations (I was moved to my local board). I'm looking for suggestions on what to ask to help make sure I find someone who knows what they're doing. I don't know if lace dresses need someone who specializes in them. I have also heard that to shorten a wedding dress, they would need to take it apart at the waist, shorten it, and then put it back together. I heard one seamstress say they would need to cut it off at the bottom, but that doesn't sound right. So I'm just wanting a little advice. TIA
    Anniversary
  • Options

The best way to find someone to do the alterations is through word of mouth and experience. The best seemstresses on wedding dresses are often employed with boutiques. They should be able to do a dress where with it chiffon, taffeta, satin or lace. I would be worried by someone telling me they have to take the whole dress apart to hem it up. I believe lace will need to be cut at the bottom in order to ensure the pattern is fine. You wouldn't want them hemming that under. What part of the state are you in?

• Options
    I would look for someone who has been in the business for a while and someone who has experience with "lace wedding dresses" call and ask also ask them
    how long they have been in business 
     about how many they do a year in they only say one or two see if you can find someone else if they say 8 or 9 then i would feel better with them 
    how long it will take to finish the dress when you go in and see them
    and most impotently go with your gut if you talk to them and it doesn't seem right don't go with them. 
    Almost Mrs. Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice. khines, I am in the Eastern Central area.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Tang's here in Montgomery, does a wonderful job. She has done work for my family for years. From hemming pants, altering both my prom dresses, and my sister's bridesmaid dress. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards