Flowers

no florist in town?

So I am having a bit of a dilemma.  I am having a destination wedding of sorts in a small town 6 hours from where I live.  Unfortunately this small town does not have a florist.  On occasion the local grocery store sells flowers but this is irregular and they do not guarantee that they will have any flowers at the time of my wedding (July 2, 2011).  The nearest town with a florist is 85 miles away.  The nearest big city (with many florist options) is 165 miles away.  I really have my heart set on fresh flowers but I'm not sure what to do to get them. 

Do you think I could pick up the flowers for the wedding the day before and have them last into the evening of my wedding day?  I'm mostly concerned about driving in a hot car with them and what to do with them once I get them to my destination - I doubt I'd have a big enough fridge to store them in overnight.  Help?

Re: no florist in town?

• edited December 2011
    My suggestion would be to pick them up on the way. They will be fine in the car for a few hours with some water and a little air condition. Maybe your venue could store them in their fridge? Maybe your hotel could do this? Friends and family in that area? Contact your venue, hotel, etc and see what they say. If nothing else, keep them watered, turn down your hotel room air condition, and sleep with blankets.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

When will you be arriving at the destination?
    Perhaps you can order them from an online vendor, and have them delivered to the address the day before.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
     You can pick up the flowers the day before depending on what kind you choose . Choose Harty flowers that stand up to heat and last a long time . Choose boquets that have their stems exposed so you can keep them in water and keep them as cool as possible.  Out of the sun. Or send a friend to pick them up for you early on the day of the wedding. Maybe the Florist would be willing to meet you half way.
    Hope this helps you
  • edited December 2011
    I'm sure there is some florist that will deliver the flowers the day of the wedding.
  • AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If there is someone you know who lives in the town you are marrying in, try bridesign.com.  They ship the flowers directly to you from the farm, in ready-made bouquets.  All you have to do is unbox them, put them in water til your wedding and your flowers are ready!  There are instructions how to care for them, and they ship a day or two beforehand.  I am looking into using this website because I want fresh also, and they have some great deals. 

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards