Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Timing of the First Dance

I'm not really sure about when people normally do their first dance. I've watched a lot of videos, and it seems like a lot of people do their first dance after they've been announced, before dinner, but my MOH is telling me that it's almost always after dinner, because it's supposed to start the dancing for everyone else.

My FI and I are trying to be creative, so we want to make sure people are watching.  I figured immediately after being announced would be the best time for this. I'm usually one for "there are no have-to's anymore," but I was just hoping to get some opinoins on the matter. :)

Re: Timing of the First Dance

• Options
    Ours was right after we were introduced. That is how I've always seen it done. After our first dance, we had the blessing, toasts, and then our first course was served. There was dancing between the courses as well.
    imageimageimage
  • Options

Ours was similar to kristinanddan.  That is what we did too and I've never seen it any differently where I live.  We were happy to do it this way because we are terrible dancers and didn't want to be nervous all through dinner!

I know that it is often done after dinner as well but just do what is best for you.  There are no hard and fast rules.  If you have a DJ or event planner at your venue, they can help you also.

• Options
    Our first dance was right after we were introduced. That's usually the way I've seen it done at weddings in my area.
  • Options
    It must vary by region.  At all the weddings I've been to, the first dance has happened right after dinner and it kicks off all the dancing.  I've just heard background music played during dinner, not dancing between courses.

On a practical level, we will have the first dance after dinner because we are having a band.  Their deal is they play for 3 hours for a flat fee, and any extra time is very expensive.  It didn't make sense to have the full band there when we are introduced and then sit around (charging us money) while we are eating dinner, doing toasts, etc.
  • Options
    megk8ozmegk8oz member
    First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Ours was right after we were introduced at the reception. I've actually never seen it done any other way.

After our dance, we did the parent dances, and then we did toasts, and served the first course.

If you fire a WP member, you're against America.

"Meg cracks me up on the regular. Now she gets to do it in two different forums. Yay!!" ~mkrupar
  • Options
    our venue said to do it after the intros.  That way, the guests are at their tables, they watch you dance and then they can sit and get served immediately after the dance is over.  You don't have to wait for the guests to find thier seat to start dinner.
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We will have our first dance right after we have been introduced.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards