Catholic Weddings

invites to priest and/or deacon

Hey ladies! We are having a full Catholic mass where both the priest and deacon will be officiating. Do we need to send them both an invitation? Or is it not necessary since they will obviously be at the wedding and then we can just tell them they are invited to the reception as well? TIA

Re: invites to priest and/or deacon

• edited December 2011
    Send them both an individual  invitation to their respective homes. If the Deacon is married, you should invite him and wife as well as children (if any) provided you are inviting other people's children.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    yes, they should both get formal invites to the wedding, as well as invites to the RD.
  • PressMePressMe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, both should have personal invitations (including the deacon's wife). Although they will be at the wedding, the invitation provides them with reception information and directions.
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto invite them both, though I don't agree that you have to invite the deacon's children, even if other children are invited to your wedding.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, please send them both invites. Our priest mentioned to us that a lot of couples do not send him an invite and we were shocked.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies. I contacted our church for the addresses of both.
  • edited December 2011
    I have a question similar.  We are friends with the Deacon.  FI has known him almost 15 years.  We are having a priest just because we need one to celebrate the Mass, otherwise we would have just the Deacon because of how well we know him.  The priest is not coming to the rehearsal.  So do I have to invite him to the RD?  I kind of think that you don't need an invite if you are not going to be attending or not needed at the rehearsal, but not sure.  Thanks!
  • Alyssa0421Alyssa0421 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_invites-priest-andor-deacon?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:0f9d65fb-ecba-4504-be3d-3b12eb7360d7Post:a596cb27-2689-4e0d-940d-d31f59a603f8">Re: invites to priest and/or deacon</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a question similar.  We are friends with the Deacon.  FI has known him almost 15 years.  We are having a priest just because we need one to celebrate the Mass, otherwise we would have just the Deacon because of how well we know him.  The priest is not coming to the rehearsal.  So do I have to invite him to the RD?  I kind of think that you don't need an invite if you are not going to be attending or not needed at the rehearsal, but not sure.  Thanks!
    Posted by kmsyron[/QUOTE]

I think you could skip inviting the priest to the RD if he's not going to the rehearsal. I would send him an invite to your wedding reception, however.
    edited December 2011
    technically you dont have to invite him to the RD if he isnt going to be at the rehearsal.  however, it may still be nice to extend the invite anyway, especially if he doesnt know you all that well.  he may enjoy learning a bit more about you before your wedding day.  and, i know our priest really enjoyed having a nice meal out - something he doesnt get to do very often.
  • edited December 2011

Thanks, one big reason that we are trying to avoid inviting the priest if he does not come is that both he and the deacon are married.  (Yes we do have a married priest, so it is a very unusual situation.)  So that is 4 people at the reception to pay for.  So we are hoping to maybe save a little money by eliminating 2 people from the rehearsal dinner.  And since he is married with 5 kids, he does get some dinners out, so I am not worried about that.   

edited December 2011
    Thanks, one big reason that we are trying to avoid inviting the priest if he does not come is that both he and the deacon are married.  (Yes we do have a married priest, so it is a very unusual situation.) 

ummm..... is your priest in communion with Rome, with the authority to perform marriages?  be sure to verify this - otherwise yoru sacrament may not be valid.
  • edited December 2011
    Yes, our priest is valid!  He was a Lutheran minister and spent 3 years converting to be a Catholic priest.  It is very unusual but it is correct.  And he is not marrying us, just saying the Mass. 
    edited December 2011
    oh, ok, good! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards