May 2012 Weddings

Beauty Check and Question

First, my check: I just ordered a clarisonic after hearing so many wonderful things about them.  I don't have horrible skin, but I'm hoping that this will give my face an extra boost for the big day. :)

My beauty question is about tanning.  I've never gone to a tanning salon before (and probably never will again after our wedding) but I'd like to get a little color before the wedding.  I'm going to Flordia in March and was planning to start my tan there and visit a tan salon minimally in the weeks leading up to our wedding (May 26th).  I have fair skin, but I do tan - it just takes me a long time to do so. So - forgive my ignorance, but to anyone who tans - how often do you go?  How long do spend in the tanning bed when you're there? How much does it cost (and do any tanning chains have good packages)?  Finally - just out of curiousity - do you lay on those bed thingies naked or do you wear underwear?  

Thanks!
Anniversary

Re: Beauty Check and Question

• I have a clarisonic and it works!  I'm not very good at using it religiously, but when I do use it, my skin definitely has more of a glow to it.

Sorry, I haven't been tanning since the late 90's, so can't help you there!  I personally would recommend just getting a good spray tan for the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have been a few times but not all the time. I will say start out at a lower time because you will burn the first few times even if you are already tan. A tanning bed is completely different than the sun. If you burn then skip days but once past the burnt stage I go everyday (when I tan). I usually start at 10 min and work my way up from there the longest anyone here allows is 20 or 25 min. The average around here is $30-$40 a month for normal lay down beds. Turbo and stand up beds and all that cost extra. I would suggest just normal beds. I would call around to different places to get prices first.

I don't lay naked. But I know people who do. I usually wear panties but no bra. The reason why is so I don't have lines from straps. Since my dress is strapless I will be doing the same thing. They do clean their beds so there is not a sanitary issue or anything but I have done it naked once and my butt burnt so bad! It was the worst and most awkward thing afterwards. HTH!
  • I've been thinking about going tanning for the wedding, but I'd honestly hate to do that to my skin.  I agree with PP about just getting a good spray tan, especially if all you want is a subtle glow.  If you tan too much, you may get that baked look in your photos.  Also, if your FI is NOT getting a tan, he'll look really pale compared to you.  Just something to think about.

Anyway, I have gone tanning before, both in the regular beds and the stand up booths.  I prefer the stand up booths because they are a bit more hygenic, especially since most people go sans clothing.  Just thinking about laying in a bed where someone else has been nakey, and maybe it wasn't cleaned so well...that really grosses me out.  Not everyone has good hygiene! lol  I would only go a few minutes the first time so you don't burn, and increase the amount of time each time you go...but never go for more than 10-12 minutes tops.  The bulbs in tannings beds/booths are more intense than the sun, and they contain the same kind of radiation (UV).
  • I just started tanning.. for my trip to mexico, the wedding and the honeymoon.
    I honestly do not like tanning in tanning beds, but I know my skin, and if I just put sunscreen on in that harsh mexico heat, I would do more harm with burnig my skin, than if I tanned in the tanning bed to prevent the burning.
    It costs about 30/month for an unlimited package here. I lay naked in them, just because I won't want lines, and all of my swim suits are different, so I would have awkward lines if I did.
  • Thanks for all the info ladies!  For those of you suggesting a spray tan, have you had them before?  Would the spray rub off onto your clothing at all?  Is it dangerous to inhale the chemicals that I assume would be in the spray?  How long do spray tans last?

Sorry I have so many questions, but you've all been extremely helpful!
    Anniversary
  • I have done both spray tan and tanning bed. Personally I dind't like the spray tan. Here the rules were no shower for 24 hours after getting it done. Usually get it done 3-4 days before hand. Yes it will come off if you sweat or if clothes is too tight. It will come off on your pillow after getting it done and in your bed. I'm not sure about the chemicals but the only time it would matter would be while they are spraying you. To me the spray tan looked VERY fake and I didn't like it but it is different for everyone. They last about a week or so but each time you shower more and more comes off.

Honestly I would just call around and ask tanning places how they handle spray tans. Each place has the same basic procedure but different rules.
  • I would go for the spray tan. Tanning beds are really bad for your skin!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited January 2012
    I have tanned many a times in life.  I would recommend doing a stand up bed.  1) they are shorter and 2) when I did lay down beds I got weird tan lines in my arm pits and 3) you don't have to lay down on a bed naked.  I am planning on going for about a month before the wedding.  I have done months of tanning several times and have become addicted I would go everyday.  I would recommend going about every other day.  Start off slow with the times and then gradually increase.  Most stand ups max out at 9 minutes.  Hope that helps!

Also, if you are thinking spray tan try it out first!  I tried one for my friends wedding to see if I wanted one for my own and it did not turn out well.  My hands and feet were very dark and it didn't eliminate any tan lines that I had.  I also had many splotches on my arms and legs.
    May 2012 Siggy ~ Favorite E-pic image
  • As someone who used to tan all the time, and who switched to spray tans, I would recommend either a spray tan or a good self tanner. Not only is it ALOT better for you, but, in my opinion, it actually looks nicer. After I started spray tanning for awhile, and went tanning outside, a huge difference. The "real tan" looks more ruddy once you get used to a fake one. If you want to go the self tanner route, clarins makes a really good one. I have pretty fair skin (I'm norweigan... as my name implies) and it has never made me look orange and has never left streaks.

Also, my FSIL is an esthetician and makeup artist, and told me a horror story once of a bride that would get facials every week, had amazing skin after all that work, and then when she came to do her makeup for the wedding, the girl had gone tanning and her skin looked horrible. All that exfoliating, that I'm pretty sure the clarisonic will do to your skin, makes it even more sensitive to uv-rays. I would just play it safe and go fake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I havn't decided if I want to go tan somewhere or just use self-tanner. I have used lotions in the past (gradual tan) and they work well, the only thing for me was remembering to be consistant, and if you are exfoliating (which i will need to do since i get lots of little pimples when im stressed) it pretty much takes the tan off. My friend did a spray tan for her wedding and we were making fun of her dark knuckles...she had very very very dark hands in comparison to the rest of her! She said if she did it again she would have gone earlier (a week before instead of 4 days before) and scrubbed her hands every night.

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• edited February 2012
    I used to tan in a tanning bed all the time and I really loved it.  Then all the publicity came around concerning skin cancer and I stopped going.  I use self spray tanners and I love them! If you want a really good DIY spray tan, I recommend Loreal Sublime Bronze ProPerfect Salon Airbrush.  It has a 360 degree applicator and dries quickly.  Plus, you don't have to rub it in (no orange hands!) and you can easily get your back with the applicator bottle.  I get mine from Meijer, but I think you can buy it from most drug stores.  Good luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards