Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Booked! (some preliminary reviews)

**I UNDERSTAND THIS IS A LONG POST**

I just thought I would try to offer suggestions for brides just starting out with their planning or still looking for something specific. I am not married yet, but have already had positive and negative experiences and would love to help others in making their vendor decisions. This post is so long because I want to be very clear about my experience and really tell you about how I feel about these vendors/venues/people/things.

Please feel free to ask me questions, I'll check this thread regularly. I hope this helps you ladies!

POSITIVE EXPERIENCES

The Gatehouse-- in progress

http://stage1gatehouse.com

I am in love with this venue. I have seen only positive reviews from other brides and have heard wonderful things about the Gatehouse from every vendor I speak with. As soon as I walked in, I knew this was the place. It has beautiful landscaping, hardwood floors, and they even provide air conditioners for the patio in summer, and heaters in winter!

Laura is my consultant and she is the most upbeat, positive, and optimistic person I have ever met. It's obvious that she loves her job and takes pride in making weddings fabulous every weekend.

Josh and I enjoyed our tour and she answered every question we threw at her, even when he asked about mosquitoes (they have a system that sprays around the patio automatically). She did not pressure us to book that day. We had plenty of time to go home and think about it.

We booked a week after our tour (I was ready the next day, but you know FIs), and it was very simple. They offered to book in-person, over the phone or via fax or email, whatever was easiest for me. I decided to go in-person, and Laura went over the entire process with me. She told me what to expect and what extra services they offer, and she even offered to give my mom (who lives out of state) a tour of the place when she visited in November.

We were able to replace one of the classic menu items with a vegetarian item from the premier menu (I am vegetarian and wanted more variety) for $1 more per person, which I thought was very reasonable and straightforward. Laura and Christy answer all of my emails quickly and with a great attitude. I am so excited to have my wedding at the Gatehouse!

Life Events (stationery)- in progress

Ann's Wedding Birds design was perfect for us. Since Josh and I met all because his character gave mine a wooden dove, we have always thought of lovebirds as "our thing." Ann has been kind enough to answer a barrage of questions form me, customize the invitations and matching RSVP cards in purple ink, and has been nothing less than outstanding as far as customer service.

The best thing about this: I can get exactly what I want (she sends digital proofs at no cost until we get it right), without having to DIY anything. I just don't have the time or the patience to make my own. This is the next best thing for brides who don't want to break the bank and don't want to DIY, but also want stunning, unique invitations and stationery. I am so thrilled with my sample! I'll let you know how the final product turns out. I've ordered them and she'll be printing this weekend.

***UPDATE*** I received my order, and I could NOT be happier. Ann not only got everything exactly right, she even cut out the favor tags even though she gave them to me for free because I was going to cut them myself. She wrote a little poem "I'm sure you have a lot to do before you say "I do" so I cut these tags as my gift to you."

She is the sweetest person ever. I would recommend her to anyone and I'll certainly use her for any and all stationary needs I have as long as she's in business.

Debbie Williams Photography-- in progress

http://www.debbiewilliamsphotography.com

I met with Debbie and John at their home. They are the nicest people ever! I am very confident that even Josh, who is very shy and does NOT like his picture taken, will be comfortable with them.

Their prices are comparable to Photography Shoppe, and Debbie & John would be our photographers. So, we'd have the same (very fun and sweet) people all the way from engagements through wedding.

The only downside is that I cannot find a single review on them from other brides. I do work with a lady whose daughter used Debbie Williams Photography and loved them, so that is all I have to go on.

Their pictures are beautiful, and John even showed me some recent shoots on his computer. There are some Photoshop effects they use that I am not crazy about, but they assured me that I have the option to change absolutely anything before they print.

I just really like their personality and how they know every bride by name, even the ones that got married a year ago. Plus, they have no time limits (my wedding is the ONLY wedding that day, and they stay from start to finish), John wants to come to the rehearsal so he can get to know the VIPs ahead of time, and I know that they will make everyone feel comfortable and the pictures will be naturally beautiful.

**UPDATE** We had our engagement pictures in March and just saw the proofs. They're really great and we're so happy with them. It was FREEZING the morning we had our shoot (well, like 40 degrees and WINDY), and John was awesome. He let us take our time between shots to do jumping jacks or snuggle or anything else to keep warm. He was also very fast! He knew exactly where he wanted to take us, what poses he wanted, and he even snapped a few candids and asked if there were any specific shots we'd like.

The whole thing took about an hour and then we were back in the car with the heater on HIGH. I was so thrilled that the proofs themselves look great and we didn't look as frozen as we really were.

Billy Heroman's Flowerland- in progress

http://www.billyheromans.com

I knew that Billy Heroman's would be one place I looked at because of an experience I had with them 2 years ago. My mom tried to send me a bouquet of Gerber daisies, and they got it wrong! Funny way to decide I wanted them for my wedding, right?

Well, here's the thing-- my mom called and spoke with Robert, and he sent ANOTHER bouquet, complete with vase, for FREE. They really take their 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy very seriously. He made things right and had a friendly conversation with my mom in the process. I was really impressed.

So, I made an appointment to meet with Paula. Well, I ended up getting lost on the way over and was late. So Robert met with me. I was really happy about that, and I wasn't disappointed. Not only did he love the ideas I brought with me (see my photo albums), but he caught on to my "traditional with a twist" style and made excellent suggestions.

The price was far more reasonable than I expected, and mom and I decided to book them on the spot. I am very happy with this decision! I know they'll make sure my wedding flowers are gorgeous.

Baton Rouge Bridal Beauty Consulting-- in progress

http://www.bridalbeautyconsulting.com

I have booked Tina with BRBC for my bridals and wedding. I have not had my trial run yet (I'll post pics when I do), but she is incredibly organized and fun to talk to. I showed her pictures of my dress, how I want my hair, and asked her what she would like to do as far as makeup. She gave me a really easy to understand explanation of what she would do if she could do ANYTHING. She spotted my problem areas easily and seems to know exactly what to do to correct them.

She is pricey, but what really made me decide to book was what she does if you come to her studio to get ready instead of having her travel-- she makes a party out of it! She orders a fruit tray or sandwiches, the bridesmaids can all get dressed there, and we have mimosas while we get all did up. It sounds like so much fun, and such an experience.... I just had to book her. Smile

Also, I need to note (see my review of Aimee below) that Tina has ignored 99% of the phone calls she received while I was in her office, even before I booked her. When she did answer, she explained to the person that she was with a client and would call them back. She is very professional and I really feel like when she is talking to me, I am her #1 priority.

**UPDATE** We had a snag, and Tina handled it beautifully. The hairstylist who was supposed to do my hair for the bridals and wedding flaked out. Tina called and apologized. She also gave me a choice- she had another stylist already in mind, or she could do my hair herself. We did a trial run and she assured me if I didn't like it, she'd call the other stylist and book another trial before my bridals.

Tina asked me lots of questions and worked on my hairstyle until we were both happy with it. Then she took lots of pictures. I felt really comfortable talking to her and telling her what I liked and didn't like. I am so glad I booked her and I am so excited to see her next week to get ready for my bridals!

NEUTRAL EXPERIENCES

The Carriage House-- did not book

http://www.carriagehouse-la.com

I decided not to book the Carriage House for our wedding, but I don't have much negative to say about it.

It is a very nice place with a decorated ballroom and plenty of parking. They have a patio with a fountain and a gazebo. The ballroom staircase is very beautiful! The bar is located in a separate area, not at the end of the buffet line. We really liked that.

It just lacks pizzazz. There was no "wow factor." It's a nice place, but the grounds are very plain. It sits next to a swamp so we worried about mosquitoes. There also didn't seem to be much open space in the ballroom for moving around and dancing.

Julie was very pleasant to me, but when my mom called her to ask some questions, Julie seemed to get frustrated easily. That was a big turn-off to me because a) my mom is paying, and b) my mom is talkative, but just about the nicest person in the world. I don't see any reason to get short with her.

All in all, the Gatehouse was just better for us and that is why we didn't choose the Carriage House. I see no reason not to check it out for yourself, it may meet your needs perfectly.

Aimeezing Faces (makeup)- did not book

http://www.aimeezingfaces.com

Aimee responded to all of my emails (and trust me, I can shoot out a serious number of emails) quickly and answered all of my questions with a positive and energetic attitude. I scheduled a free consultation with her, and she did a very good job. I really liked it. She even let me try out bright red lipstick at the end, which was fun because I'd never done that.

She was on the phone a lot during my consultation, which I tried to excuse her for since I wasn't paying for her time. However, I overheard about another bride's problem and heard Aimee trying to make things right, and that stood out in my mind later when I also had an issue that needed to be worked out. She probably should have kept that conversation private. In fact, she really shouldn't have been talking on the phone for such a large portion of my consultation. It made me feel like I was inconveniencing her.

When I was ready to book, we had a misunderstanding about the price. The way she had first emailed me about the price seemed to mean something different to her than it did to me. She tried to explain it to me by telling me about the mathematics she was using, but that didn't help me shake the feeling that this had suddenly become very weird and confusing. How can you type, in black and white, one thing and then change the story later? Had she handled it differently and offered a solution sooner, I may have booked her. However, she didn't offer a compromise until I was already very frustrated and had begun looking at other makeup artists.

I just felt like she was disorganized and had trouble being straightforward. Every time she emailed me she talked about another kind of discount, and it became difficult to understand which discounts were being combined and which were not. The problem was from a business-to-consumer standpoint, not with her talent. You may have a perfect experience with her. I did not.

The Photography Shoppe-- did not book

http://www.photographyshoppe.net

We met with Ken (the owner) and he seems to be very professional and knowledgeable. The photos he showed us are beautiful, and they have all their proofs on the website for everyone to see. That is very impressive and shows pride, I think.

The albums look fantastic and the package prices are just amazing.

However, there are also no guarantees you will have the same photographer for your engagements, bridal, and the wedding. So I feel there could be a lack of rapport, which is important to me.

Also, I have read mixed reviews. It seems some brides have wonderful experiences (especially those who have Kristen as a photographer) while others have terrible experiences (especially with the videography and customer service).

I did not choose Photography Shoppe because I just didn't feel confident about them. I saw as many negative reviews as positive, and all the positive reviews were for Kristen, who is not available on my wedding date.

In the end, I just didn't feel that we would have very personalized service. We would probably have a different photographer each shoot, and there was no telling who would cover our wedding.

Men's Wearhouse (tux rentals)

Near Mall of LA

Sales associate was helpful but not pushy. He let us make our decisions and gave us the information we needed and answered our questions.

NEGATIVE EXPERIENCES

Alfred Angelo- complete

Towne Center Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

I ordered my wedding dress at Alfred Angelo. I had a really great time working with my consultant, Monte. She was very laid back, calm, and gave me honest advice without being pushy at all.

I tried on a bunch of dresses and it was my first time shopping, so she put me at ease and assured me there was NO PRESSURE to buy anything-- she knew I'd be looking at other places and it wasn't awkward.

Nothing I tried lived up to my favorite at Alfred Angelo, so I went back for one last try to make sure that was IT.

And it was! Monte measured me and suggested I order a size smaller than the sample (which was a 14) and consider ordering a petite since I am short and will be wearing flats. She even asked her manager if it would be cheaper to order the petite or for me to have it hemmed, so I could make the decision myself.

She did not press me about accessories, she just made notes about the items I liked so that there is no confusion should I decide to purchase them later. 

Now, here's the downside: My dress came in, and it was TOO SMALL. She had disregarded my hip measurement (which would have been fine if I wasn't ordering a hip-hugging style) and the dress wouldn't fit over my giant ghetto booty.

She immediately re-measured me, had me try on a 14 again... the 14 fit, but she realized the seam in the back of the sample was torn. I tried on a new 14 and it was snug. No wonder the 12 didn't fit! So, she had the manager rush-order a 16 at no extra cost to me. 

She even let me try on 2 different size 16 sample dresses (in other styles) to ease my fears about it being huge. HOWEVER, she didn't offer to do that when I expressed concern about whether the 16 would be too big, she just said it would be fine. I left for the afternoon, worried about it, and then came back before the store closed and asked to try on other dresses to make sure a 16 wouldn't be crazy-huge. 

The dress arrived in 2 weeks and fit my hips perfectly. It needs some alterations at the top (sleeves and bust), but otherwise it is perfect. It all ended well, but the stress of my dress not fitting and having to wait for another really put a damper on the experience.

**UPDATE**

When you purchase a dress from Alfred Angelo, they will steam it for free before your wedding day. So, I called to see how to go about doing that. Monte answered, and I asked her about it.

She was a little short with me and said a) I need an appointment, b) I have to call at least a month and a half before I want it steamed, and c) I have to stay in the store the whole time (about 30 minutes). That was all fine with me (although it's a darn good thing I happened to call, because she never said anythign about calling so far in advance), so I said "I'll be picking up my dress from the seamstress on Saturday..." at which point she INTERRUPTED me (while I was trying to give information and ask a question!) to say "Did you use OUR seamstress?" No, I did not. "Since someone else altered the dress we can't touch it."

I was surprised, because she didn't tell me that when she told me I could get my dress steamed. So, I was trying to remain calm (even though it seemed like this dress has been the most stressful thing ever) and asked if she knew of anywhere else I could get it steamed. She put me on hold for a moment, then said "No, ma'am, we don't have any recommendations."

I was so mad! Not only had she ordered the wrong dress size (after I questioned her about why she was ordering smaller than my hip measurement), ignored my FSIL when we went to choose her BM dress (*I* had to run around asking for clips and *I* clipped the samples that were too large on her so we could see what they looked like), and wasted my time looking for a bra size for 45 minutes that she eventually found out they didn't even carry, but NOW I find out she didn't give me all the information I needed about having the dress pressed, AND she had the "It's not my problem" attitude about it.

I called my mom to vent, and mom called the store manager and told her everything that has gone wrong. She explained that we are very patient, forgiving people and understand stuff happens, but this was just the last straw and she'd be calling the corporate office to complain.

I'm getting my dress steamed on Monday, and I am to ask for the manager if anyone gives me a problem. So, although I love my dress... I do not love my consultant. I'd suggest IF you go there, do NOT use Monte, and speak with a manager anytime you have the tiniest question or concern. Apparently Monte's laid-back attitude isn't always a good thing.

But I really don't think I'd recommend this store at all after all of that drama.

Bridal Boutique-- did not book

Florida Blvd
Baton Rouge, LA

I had a not-very-good experience at Bridal Boutique. My consultant did not measure me or ask my size before pulling samples for me, and it seemed every sample they had was too small. I heard "I'm going to need some help getting this zipped up" far too many times. I am a very confident person, but that made me feel a bit like a fat cow. Not cool.

The consultant also brought in a dress that was $500 over the budget that we discussed very clearly. She did not tell me it was over budget until after I tried it on, liked it a lot, and talked about possible alterations. I was really annoyed about that, and when she realized I couldn't be pushed into over-spending she seemed to lose interest in me.

She then sent me off to look at bridesmaid dresses and more or less ignored me until I left.

I would not recommend this shop to anyone. Maybe someone thinner with a bigger budget would be the customer they prefer.

PENDING REVIEWS

Designs by Peterene (custom garter)

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PetereneDesign

Awaiting arrival of product-- good service so far. Answered all questions quickly and customized my order.

Anniversary

Re: Booked! (some preliminary reviews)

• edited December 2011
    Jean
      This is one of the most informative reviews I've seen here in a very long time!  This is what this community is all about, a bride can read your experiences, and make an informed decision as to check them out or not.  Thanks for taking the time to write your pre-wedding review, hope this positive experience continues throughout your process!   

• edited December 2011
    Thanks! I try to be a contributing member of society. Our local board here is kind of dead, but maybe if everybody pitches in we'll actually be able to help each other plan our weddings. Cool
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    thanks so much! I'm going to be dress shopping with my mom and looking at the gatehouse in the coming weeks, mom toured it before and was really impressed. Mom,FI and I all went to carriage house and it's super cute, but it had a slightly more country mansion feeling then I wanted, that being said the gal who gave us the tour was fabulous! 
     I live in washington so reveiws like this really help, I have one, one week long trip to settle all my wedding stuff, so it's good to have some recemendations going in!
  • edited December 2011
    I am so glad this has helped you ladies. I've had quite the trip with my planning. I got engaged in August and had all my major stuff booked and my dress ordered by the end of October. I work very quickly! I am a person who knows what I want, and I'm not afraid to book something I love when I see it.

However, the middle of my planning was more stressful than the beginning! I had things booked but needed to pick up my dress, decide on makeup and hair, and figure out other little things. THAT stuff gave me way more grief than the venue or photographer. So just try to keep a cool head and remind yourself-- it's JUST a wedding. You're getting MARRIED and that's the important part. Not the party.

I have a couple more reviews to add later--- Men's Wearhouse (ordered tuxes) and WeddingFavorites.com (sandalwood fans). I'll talk to FI about his experience (he handled the tuxes) and post those reviews as well as a couple of hotel suggestions... we drove around looking at places for our OOT guests. I didn't want to recommend anything I'd never seen!
    Anniversary
  • hwilli8hwilli8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great advice!  We are just getting started with the planning and this will definitely come in handy!  We just looked at our first place today!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats, hwilli! I hope you have a blast!

I've updated the OP since I received my invitations. They're so awesome!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Before I go look at Debbie site, do you know how long has she been shooting weddings?  This is going to be tough choice for me.  I'm scared to use a new kid on the block...

I'm considering;
    Debbie
    Kleinpeters
    Thompsons
    Bray Danielle, Kinda torn about her, there is check in my spirit about her,  Not ruling her out though

I'm open to others, please don't hesitate to give me your recommendations....

I looked at the Gate House but I'm wanting to have 225 guests and I think it's going to be too small. 

• edited December 2011
    Yes, the gatehouse would be too small for that many people. I am hoping for around 100, but we might get a few extra (thanks to FMIL). Undecided

John Williams has been a photographer for over 15 years. I am not sure how long Debbie has been. John is the main guy, though. He's a fantastic personality, which was what really sealed the deal for me. Their photos are good. Nothing over-the-top, but very good. However, I just knew when I met John and Debbie that my FI and I would be very comfortable with them, and the pictures would thus turn out beautiful and natural.

FI is a very uptight kind of guy. I needed someone who was easy to like and joke around with. John fit the bill perfectly. I have the utmost confidence in my choice, and I'll post our engagement pics when we take them next month. Cool

Also, bonus--- they have pretty much the best package pricing I've seen. And I was willing to spend more if I had to.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Here are some (kinda fuzzy) pictures of my trial run with Tina (makeup) and Katie (hair) at Bridal Beauty Consulting. I think they did a great job! Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of the back of my hair. I'll get some when I go back for my bridal pics next month.

Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Hey guys! I've updated everything again. I'll do one more update next month (after bridals and such) and then I'll be MARRIED! It's really sneaking up on me!

Please note, I did change my experience with Alfred Angelo from Neutral to Negative. You can read more about it in the review, but I wanted to point that out because it wasn't just an update, but a change in how I feel about the experience.

I really hope you guys find this useful! Please let me know here or via PM if you have any questions at all. I'd be happy to help.
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards