Just Engaged and Proposals

engagement/housewarming party

Not sure where to asking this so I'll try here......

We got engaged in June & bought a house in August. We're finally settled in and are planning on having a house warming/engagement party in December. People keep asking about gifts. I wasnt expecting that, so should we start a small registry? And if so do I mention it somehow on the invitations?

Thanks

Re: engagement/housewarming party

• Winnertag1Winnertag1 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited November 2012
    I wouldnt call it a housewarming/engagement party. Etiquette wise, you arent supposed to throw your own engagement party. I am not sure about house warming. I would just invite people over as a get together to see your new place.

You can put up a wedding registry at any point, some people do like to give engagement gifts to newly engaged couples. I wouldnt tell people about it unless they ask. If you are sending out invites or anything for your party, I wouldnt make mention of your registry on there, there shouldnt be mentions of gifts or registries on any type of invite. 

522805_10151186959893168_80368830_n_zps80e4c057
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Definitely do not throw your own engagement party since it goes against etiquette to do so.  When FI and I bought our place last year, we had our friends over to see it after we finally finished painting and basically said "come see our new place!"  We didn't make it a formal event, and only one person brought something.  The rest brought wine to share (as is customary in our crowd when someone throws a party).  It's fine to register I guess, but if it were me, I'd probably just say "oh the wedding is so far off, we haven't even thought about registering yet."  I usually think that champagne or wine is a more appropriate gift for an engagement OR housewarming.
  • edited November 2012
    We had a housewarming party last month after we bought our first house. We provided all the food and whenever people asked what to bring, we told them nothing. If they asked what we wanted as a gift, we said we didn't want gifts. Many still brought wine, but I definitely didn't want it to be a gift-giving event, just something casual where we ate, drank,, played games and they could see our house.

So I think a housewarming/see our place party is fine to throw yourselves. However, I wouldn't call it an engagement party and if you decide to register, make it a wedding registry. Don't mention the registry at all. In fact, I'd feel weird telling people "We're registered at XYZ" if they asked about gifts for a housewarming party, but that's just me.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • My fiance's family keeps asking his sister when we are having an engagement party but no one has offered to throw us one. I'm tryingto follow etiquette but its hard to when no ones following along.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagementhousewarming-party-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0f1dbf2e-7706-4722-b7aa-b0726f32b91aPost:130767e5-c3b3-4df6-9981-5a2aefa22321">Re: engagement/housewarming party</a>:
    [QUOTE]My fiance's family keeps asking his sister when we are having an engagement party but no one has offered to throw us one. I'm tryingto follow etiquette but its hard to when no ones following along.
    Posted by RusticBride13[/QUOTE]

I would just respond with, 'We aren't having an engagment party." If they really want you to have one, they can offer to throw it themselves.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Or to really hammer it home, respond with "We aren't havening an engagement party because nobody has offered to throw us one." Refuse to throw your own.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_engagementhousewarming-party-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0f1dbf2e-7706-4722-b7aa-b0726f32b91aPost:b9001451-513b-4f63-bf49-d5b3bb0e4a1b">Re: engagement/housewarming party</a>:
    [QUOTE]Or to really hammer it home, respond with "We aren't havening an engagement party because nobody has offered to throw us one." Refuse to throw your own.
    Posted by tiny speck[/QUOTE]
    This! or add on "I don't know when our engagement party is, do you have the date set yet? We can get a guest list together if you like." If they want you to have one, they can throw you one
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards