Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Unity Tree

I wanted to do something different because I don't know what I would do with sand or candles for the unity part of the ceremony. We are going to get a tree, our moms will add soil before we do. And it will be planted at our home as a symbol of planting our roots together. We have to get the tree (obviously something relatively small) this weekend since the wedding is 12 days away. Does anyone know of any trees that symbolize something for the wedding. Or maybe a good tree to use for this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Unity Tree

• Coghoot12Coghoot12 member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited February 2013
    We did this and just used a smaller evergreen tree. 

The most important thing is to get a tree that will thrive in your climate.

We ended up moving to a warmer climate shortly after we got married and potted our tree to take with is.  It didn't survive the summer heat.  :(
  • Your first step is to go to a local garden center and ask what kind of tree does well in your climate. Ask them to show you what they have available. With that information you can look online at their suggestions to learn more about their recommendations and to see if something calls to you. I love the tree idea.
  • Ok, it seems like the intentions are really sweet, but I can't help but think "Putting a shovel full of dirt in a pot symbolizes unity and the bringing together of families?!?!?!"

I'm kind of sarcastic like that, so I would probably LQTM if I saw this at an actual wedding.

It just seems weird to me. The marriage ceremony itself is the unity ceremony.
  • Yes, living in AZ we will need something that stands up to our summers. We'll check with the garden centers here. I didn't find any other good suggestions online so thought I would check here :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm planning on doing the unity tree as well but I'm not having us dump soil in there...I don't want the dirt near my dress!  We're just going to have two little caraffes of water that we'll pour (much like a sand ceremony) together.

And seriously, itzms?  You can't see any symbolism with a tree and marriage/love?  The foundation of a relationship and the roots of the tree?  Love grows just like a tree?  You have to care for and nourish a tree, just like a relationship?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unity-tree-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:3b09b2e6-83a3-440f-a290-39867467fdf1Post:b040de8d-a742-4259-b9a8-1e4338ab2db5">Re: Unity Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on doing the unity tree as well but I'm not having us dump soil in there...I don't want the dirt near my dress!  We're just going to have two little caraffes of water that we'll pour (much like a sand ceremony) together. And seriously, itzms?  You can't see any symbolism with a tree and marriage/love?  The foundation of a relationship and the roots of the tree?  Love grows just like a tree?  You have to care for and nourish a tree, just like a relationship?
    Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

I like that idea better. I think I'm gonna change ours to water as well. The soil near my dress was making me a little nervous!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unity-tree-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:3b09b2e6-83a3-440f-a290-39867467fdf1Post:b040de8d-a742-4259-b9a8-1e4338ab2db5">Re: Unity Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm planning on doing the unity tree as well but I'm not having us dump soil in there...I don't want the dirt near my dress!  We're just going to have two little caraffes of water that we'll pour (much like a sand ceremony) together. <strong>And seriously, itzms?  You can't see any symbolism with a tree and marriage/love?  The foundation of a relationship and the roots of the tree?  Love grows just like a tree?  You have to care for and nourish a tree, just like a relationship?
    </strong>Posted by mlg78[/QUOTE]

A tree itself? (or anything that "grows")? Sure, of course.
    Having your moms and yourselves pour containers of <em>dirt</em> into the pot? No.

I'm of the opinion that people try too hard to be "creative" with these "unity ceremonies" nowadays.
  • I think dirt makes as much sense as sand. But I also dislike sand ceremonies quite a bit. I would prefer watching this, with the tree.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_unity-tree-3?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:3b09b2e6-83a3-440f-a290-39867467fdf1Post:6bb37cc9-26de-49a8-92f8-36bacd23db85">Re: Unity Tree</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unity Tree : A tree itself? (or anything that "grows")? Sure, of course. Having your moms and yourselves pour containers of dirt into the pot? No. I'm of the opinion that people try too hard to be "creative" with these "unity ceremonies" nowadays.
    Posted by itzMS[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not having my mother or anyone "throw" dirt anywhere.  The small seedling will already be planted in a decorative pot.  My fiance and I will just add water.  A unity ceremony isn't something everyone feels compelled to do but many do choose to do something.  No need to rain on their parade.</div>
  • Lots of plants and trees have different meanings depending on the culture. You could google 'tree meanings' + a culture (one you're descended from, one you identify with, one that your religion has its roots in) and see what comes up, then choose several options that appeal to you and your FI and take that list to your nursery to get an expert opinion about what would do well in your area. If your local library or bookstore has a copy of Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs on hand, it's a lot easier search tool than google (which can overload you).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards