North Carolina

Asheville Honeymoon?

My fiance had a cruise planned for our honeymoon, but because of some emergency financial stuff we are having to re-think what we are doing. In order to save money we are thinking about doing a local honeymoon (his parents have hotel points that they have offered us that will pay for a few nights at the Grand Bohemian Hotel in Asheville). He is military stationed at Fort Bragg (about 4 1/2 hours away) and I live in Maryland, so neither of us are very familiar with that area, but we like the fact that it is near the mountains (our wedding is in October so I thought it would be pretty that time of year).

I was wondering if anyone from the area has any suggestions or must-sees for us. Thanks all. :]

Re: Asheville Honeymoon?

• edited December 2011
    We're also planning an NC mountain honeymoon because of financial reasons. I honestly haven't had the chance to spend much time there but if either of you are into craft breweries, Asheville is one of the best cities in the entire nation to sample local beers.

Since you're looking at a honeymoon in October, I'd just recommend you book it ASAP because that's prime vacation time in the mountains. Hotel rates go up and rooms are booked FAST because of how absolutely beautiful it is.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    I live just a bit south of Asheville... LOVE it!

October is a really great time to come visit.  I'd recommend visiting Biltmore, maybe hiking Chimney Rock (bonus you can go to Lake Lure and see where they filmed Dirty Dancing), you could do a Brews Cruise and check our several local craft breweries on one tour, there's also LOTS of great options for dining, and I'd even recommend checking out the spa at the Grove Park Inn for a little couples pampering.  Even a pretty drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway would be a great way to take in the scenery.

Like PP says, its prime tourist time in October, so don't wait too long to book a hotel!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. Looks like we will get right on booking it. :]
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah definitely book it ASAP since that's leaf peeping season!
  • kristachatskristachats member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH and I visit Asheville as much as we can, it's a great city!  If you can use your points to stay near downtown for a portion of your trip you can bar hop around the city.  That would break your trip up into two different parts since the Bohemian (which is awesome btw, I'm jealous you're staying there!) is in Biltmore Village.  The Bohemian has a cozy romantic restaurant downstairs, I love it!  They have fantastic restaurants in Asheville! A few downtown favorites of ours, Zambra (tapas), Bouchon (French), Mela (Indian).  

If you visit the Biltmore, get the audio tour when you walk around the house, it explains so much!  Also take the wine tour.  You can even have the Biltmore pack you a picnic for two and you can have lunch on the grounds.  

As far as other stuff to do, I've heard awesome stuff about this place, but we haven't been yet- http://shojiretreats.com/  Go up to the Grove Park Inn even if just to have lunch on their amazing Sunset Terrace.  It's gorgeous.  Oh and check out the Orange Peels website to see if there any good artisits playing while you're in town, we've seen some great shows there!
  • edited December 2011
    Kristachats- thanks for the information! That was really helpful

shigates- i love your picture of the Ocracoke lighthouse! FI's grandfather used to keep the light there and their family still visits every summer. :]
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards