Louisiana-New Orleans

Vendor Reviews--Long

I'm procrastinating from getting back to work, so I figured I'd write these... we had the best time this weekend!!!

Rehearsal Dinner:  Copeland's Cheesecake Bistro (St. Charles Ave.): B
This is my favorite restaurant, and the service on Fri. night was great. We did have some problems with them double-booking the banquet room, though. Turns out that the woman who booked us, also booked someone else 2 months later, and lost our contract. That woman has since been fired, and the new people are a little better. We only got things straightened out officially after my mom went down there in person. Phone calls didn't get anything accomplished. Overall, it was a great night, and they were very accommodating of letting my MIL decorate and making something different for the kids that were there.

Dress:  Brickhouse Bridal (The Woodlands, TX):  A
I know it's not in NOLA, but since there's so many natives in Houston... here it is. They have a great selection, and they let you go around and pick which 6 dresses you want to try on. I found my dress within that 6, but I'm not sure if they'd let you try more. My dress came in early, and they were always super-nice when I talked to anyone in the store. They do not do in-house alterations, but they do give a list of suggested places to go.

Alterations:  Beautiful U (Houston, TX):  A+
Everything you read about this place on the Houston board is true--they are awesome. My gown was just a bit too long, so instead of trying to make me pay for a needless small hem, they had me try a petticoat instead. It worked perfectly and saved me probably $150.  Also, I have a ton of lace and beading that shouldn't be steamed, so they discounted the steaming significantly. Very much recommended!

Bridesmaid Dresses: Pearl's Place: C
Their prices are awesome, which is why I got the dresses there. I gave them the names, dress sizes, addresses, and phone numbers of my bm's when I ordered the dresses, since 3 had to be shipped out of state.  Thank goodness they came in early because they lost the list, then when we re-sent the information, they mixed up 2 of the dresses. My bms in TX and ND had to coordinate with the store and FedEx to have them swapped back. Also, my sister's dress had to be altered twice due to their mistakes in altering it. They did fix all problems--just too much of a headache for me.

Venue: Le Pavillon: A
We had a few bumps along the way with little details in the contract, but overall, it was everything I wanted. The day-of service was really amazing. I felt like I had 3 personal attendants checking to make sure I had what I needed at all times. I wanted final say in when some things were done at the reception, so they checked with me at those times, but no others. Any food or drink I wanted, I had immediately. The rooms looked perfect--lighting, tables, chairs. (The banquet chairs here are so nice and comfy, and the linens are a step up from regular wedding ones I've seen before.)  We had more food than we could possibly eat waiting for us when we got back to our room, and a voucher for room service the next morning.
The extra touches there just make me love it--pb&j at night for all guests, extra-friendly staff, and lots of great spots for pictures.

Photography: (This is a 2-part review)
1.  Marc Pagani:  B 
He is an amazing photographer. He almost always got back to me quickly, but our families had a really hard time with communication on a few occasions. That led to my own frustrations when they would tell me what was happening.  Marc did my engagement photos, and they came out well. I wish we could've had more variety/creativity, but in his defense, we were in NOLA from OOT, and it was pouring rain. We couldn't reschedule, and we were stuck using the one covered area around. We were lucky to even stay dry!

2.  Marc's associate, Ron Blaylock:  A
I haven't gotten pictures back since the wedding was 3 days ago, but I loved working with him! He was early to the venue, laid-back, but professional, and open to any goofy idea we had. He is based in Jackson, MS, and has his own studio there (www.blaylockphoto.com). I can't wait to get these pictures!

Flowers: Hobby Lobby and a family friend: A+
I know some brides are completely anti-fake flowers, but I have gotten nothing but showers of compliments about my bouquets and centerpieces. Our friend bought a book about how to make bouquets, and I'm sure any crafty bride or friend could make them equally well. We used the Natural Brilliance line of floral stems, and they are beautiful! (Not all fake flowers are created equal--get the better ones, and they're almost always 50% off at HL). If hot pink matched anything in my house, I would display my bouquet all the time--I love it!!

Carriage Ride after reception: Mid-City Carriages:  A
These people are super laid back--so much so that you may think they forgot about you. They didn't. They just aren't too concerned with getting contracts filled out once you reserve your day/time.  Our driver was friendly and took us on about a 35-minute ride around the Quarter. It was surprisingly relaxing and quiet after the busy-ness of the reception!

Hotel Blocks:  Drury Inn & Suites and Homewood Suites (both on Poydras)
Guests loved staying at both of these. They offer complementary hot breakfast and "happy hour" snacks. The rooms were nice and comfortable, and even guests who called after the block had expired were given the group rate.

Save-the-Dates, Invitations, & Favors:  Gem Printing: A+
They are so easy to work with, and have lots of options. I had to pick everything in one day since I could only make a few trips home during planning, and they worked with me for 3 hrs. straight!
We did Mardi Gras cups for favors, and they came out great. They even added the same swirly design from my RSVP cards on the cups. The invitations were a little more than I planned on spending, but I think the quality was worth it. My family has used Gem for generations, so I trusted them.

Cake: Haydel's: A+
Delicious!! Again, my family has gotten cakes from Haydel's for probably as long as they've been in business, and I knew how yummy their traditional wedding cakes were!  I brought in a design I found in the galleries on here, and they were up-front with what the problems would be with my budget. They sat with me for a while until we came up with something just as creative and still within my price range. It turned out perfect!  We also got a 3-tier king cake for the groom's cake, iced with our college colors. That cake was GONE before the night was over--I wouldn't have gotten any if they didn't save us some!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Vendor Reviews--Long

• Queen JaneQueen Jane member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so you live in Housotn and did a NOLA wedding? that's what we are dong! any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated, like if theres anything i can get done here or not....i will def check out the alteratoins place...
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Le Pavillon in December.  I would love to see pictures if that is possible when you have them.  Congratulations!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards