Wedding Party

FUN SPEECHES!!

Ok, so I'm the MOH in my cousins wedding, and the Best Man and I wanted to do something fun for our speeches...like do a combined BM/MOH speech. We both want to say a little something personal, but want to make it fun. I've googled it, and I've seen a lot of speeches that make up a song to the theme song of 'Fresh Prince of BelAir' but IDK if we want to do that! 
ANY SUGGESTIONS?!?!?!

Re: FUN SPEECHES!!

• I would personally suggest just doing a short and sweet heartfelt speech individually. Those typically go over the best, and guests appreciate not having a 20 min speech (which I have seen at a wedding and it was painful). I wouldn't try to make up a song or anything; you can incorporate humorous tid bits in your toast if you want, but don't try too hard.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Don't do this.  Please.  The best speeches are short, heartfelt and end with wishing the B&G a happy long marriage.  What you are planning never turns out the way you envision and is uncomfortable for everyone in the room.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited June 2012
    The only time I saw a "fun" speech that I thought was actually moving and heartfelt was the one where all the bride's musical theater friends put together an actual song and dance number for her.  It worked because the bride and her friends were all professional-level performers, and performing was a huge part of their lives and their relationships.  If they had just randomly decided to start singing and dancing without that kind of connection (or talent and training), it would have just been kind of painful to watch.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • I would agree with PPs, please don't try to plan a "fun" speech.  The best speeches I have seen (and the ones that were done at my wedding by our honor attendants) wer short and sweet, with funny tid bits thrown into the middle, but the funny parts were there to make a point.

For instance, the Best Man started his speech with "I could tell you about the time we rode the shopping cart down the stairs, or I could tell you about the time we put our red and blue DJ lights on my car and started pulling people over...but I could also tell you about how much our friendship means to me, and I could tell you how excited I am to have dogsandfrogs join our family" and so on and so forth.  It was actually really well done, and in the end it was really sweet.
  • Don't force it.  The best speeches I've seen are heartfelt. 

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited June 2012
    If you want to tell jokes or do a little something fun then go ahead. People will like something funny if it's short, to the point, and classy. People really dont want to sit through songs and skits. It never comes across as funny or clever as it seems it'll be when it's first planned. And it's been done to death so every guest has seen it in person or on YouTube. The guests laugh and clap because it's the polite thing to do. If you guys can think of something fun and meaningful on your own, awesome. If you have to Google it or spend a ton of time planning it, then that means that it's just going to come across forced and awkward because it's not heartfelt. The best speeches I've seen are the ones that included a couple small jokes and some sweet sincere words. The worst was when the guy tried WAY too hard to be funny and wound up humiliating the couple and shocking the guests with what he said.
  • I was the MOH in my sister's wedding. I wrote a rap with personal jokes but things that people would understand. Her and I always send eachother raps via text messages so it fit us perfectly. Everyone said it was the best speech they've ever heard. You don't need music or anything. Just make it like a poem with funny memories. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards