Texas-Austin

Florist Question

Hi,

I am just starting to contact florists and I have a general question.  After getting one quote we have decided to do many of the items ourselves but my bouquet and a couple of other items I really want to have a professional do, have any of you asked about minimums with Florists?  Meaning have you found them willing to do just a small portion of your wedding/reception?

I was just thinking they might not think it is worth it.  Also any recommendations on florists would be great.  We met with the Flower Studio and they were a little pricey, meeting with King's next which I believe will be cheaper.

Thanks,
Stacy

Re: Florist Question

• edited December 2011
    I have found some florists who want a $500 minimum. I've also found florists who were willing to do only a bouquet, but they charged $180 for simple hand-tied calla lilies. I'm definitely going to do all the flowers myself because I can't believe the expense.
  • geriknelsongeriknelson member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did the same thing.... met with tons, but really didn't like their stuff or attitudes, until I met with Allison from Allieflower.   I'm not 100% sure if she did a minimum, but I just told her my budget and what I was looking for, and she made it work perfectly.  I was going to just end up doing myself, but since Allieflower could do EVERYTHING i wanted around my budget, I just went with her so I won't be stressed, didn't have to worry about it, and all the flowers will be coordinating.

I would check her out for just your bouquets at least.  She's really willing to work with you and let her know Leslie G. sent you :)  www.allieflower.com

Also... if you're just looking a a few bouqets, maybe check HEB or Central Market... they may be more willing to do a few items for you without a deposit?
  • edited December 2011
    We considered going the DIY route, but after meeting with Donna Foster at Central Market, we were more than happy to turn it all over to her.  The rates she gave us seemed very reasonable, not much more than we were going to pay DIY,  and she's gotten rave reviews on this board.  She doesn't do email, which can be difficult if you are used to using email as a life line (like me) ;)
  • edited December 2011

Beau at Flower child in Pflugerville was really nice and will do your bouquets or allow you to buy what you want. He is so nice and cheap!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I am working with Cheri at the Gala Gal. She has been great with working with me on my budget and limiting the things that she will work on and the things that i will do DIY.

• MagheetaMagheeta member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-austin_florist-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:126Discussion:2760d6aa-1606-4a78-bd3d-259c50a15614Post:eff0559e-37c2-4076-bff6-9999a6d105d2">Re: Florist Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]We considered going the DIY route, but after meeting with Donna Foster at Central Market, we were more than happy to turn it all over to her.  The rates she gave us seemed very reasonable, not much more than we were going to pay DIY,  and she's gotten rave reviews on this board.  She doesn't do email, which can be difficult if you are used to using email as a life line (like me) ;)
    Posted by Future Ramsey[/QUOTE]

Which Central Market did you contact?  I've been seeing great reviews for Donna, but I have been talking to Nicole and am supposed to talk to Dianna (I think that's how you spell her name).  Both names are very close, so I was thinking I may have confused the two... :)

funny_zpsd60c785f

SAVE TIME AND MONEY WITH E-MEALZ MEAL PLANS

"...And he just came out of my imaginary birthday cake." -its apelila

• edited December 2011
    Depending on your colors, Costco is a good option.  They are cheaper than a lot of what florists here in town are charging and you can buy part of what you need without having to buy everything there.  The only drawback is that that a lot of what they offer is in one solid color.

You might also try posting an add on craiglist.  There are a lot of people out there who may be able to to put something together for you cheaper than a retailer, as long as you order the flowers.  The lady who is doing mine used be a florist and now just does it on the side for friends and to make a little extra money here and there.
  • edited December 2011
    Donna Foster is with Central Market on Lamar and 38th.
    ~ Trish Finfer
    Blog

• edited December 2011
    Sherry Lloyd is great -- she works with natural or artificial to help stay within your budget.

I can PM her contact info if you'd like.  She doesn't have a website up right now, but I can send you pictures of my bouquets and arrangements.

:D
  • hollberr39hollberr39 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Small town-florists are worth looking into, they will almost always work with you and your budget.  My Mom is a florist and doing mine, the shop she works for is  Bay City Floral and they travel a lot for weddings in Houston, and will always work with you no matter what your budget.  I would totally look into Central Market, Sams and even HEB does some good work.  Don't let them overcharge you just because they can because believe me they will.

• may2005may2005 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used Donna Foster with Central Market Floral Dept. (38th & Lamar location).

Could not have been happier.  Excellent flowers & reasonable price.  I saved some money by furnishing some of the vases.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards