Plus-Sized
Options

Nails?

I have short stubby fingers. I affectionately call them "sausage fingers." Haha. Longer nails will make my fingers look longer, so I've decided to get acryllics put on. Here's my question though: Should I just go with a french manicure or go one solid color? My colors are navy and light gray, so I thought about doing navy, but will the break up in color make them look skinnier? Any advice?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Nails?

• Options
    It's what you prefer, but when I get fake nails, I stick with a french manicure.  I only prefer solid color on my short (read: natural) nails.
    I'm not good at feelings.

• Options
    I usually get a french manicure when I have acrylic nails.  I think it looks so pretty.  I much prefer it to a solid color.
    imageAnniversary
  • Options
    IMOfor a color like NAVY....you should have shorter nails or it tends to look vampy.  A light gray color might look nice depending on your skin tone.  I am not a fan of a french, but I am not fan of acrylic nails either. I suck. Sorry!

If it were me....I would try and use a nail strengthening product like OPI Nail Envy or Sally Hansen maximum growth and grow your natural nails out long enough to wear a nice navy color.  I don't know exactly what shade of NAVY you are going for....but OPI RUSSIAN NAVY is beautiful.  It comes in a matte finish as well.  The one that is not matte has a little bit of a purpleish shimmer to it. Good luck!
  • Options
    If you are on the more daring side.......you could always do a NAVY color with a gray shatter....best of both worlds. :)
  • Options
    Sorry, I vote french.

I'm just seeing navy nails against a white dress (are you wearing white?) and I'm weird... that's something that would distract me most of the day. It's not like lifting your dress a few inches for bright red shoes, you know?

I just think french looks classier.
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm a French fan so totally biased. My concern with the navy is it looking dated in the future. I see French as a classic look so timeless if that even makes sense.

• Options
    I vote for French, but I'm also not a big fan of fake nails.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Are we talking for your big day? Because then I vote french, just because it's forever classic.

If we're talking for any other occasion, I vote navy, because I effing love it. And I speak from experience- navy looks great on long nails IMO. I'm not in your situation in that I do not have sausage fingers, but I frequently paint my long-ish nails navy, and I love them. Therefore, I vote navy. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I think I'm gettng a solid color with a design on top, rather than the french manicure. Something like this, but no where near as big.

Wedding Countdown Ticker pregnancy calendar baby development
  • Options
    If they are done right, and the person doing them takes their time, I vote french.  I personally have yet to have a good experience with a french manicure.  

• Options
    french all the way!!! your nails will be a big piece of your picture puzzle and a navy color may stand out to much.  how about navy toe nails???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Have you thought of having the french style but use the navy or gray in place of the white? I think all navy would just look like a bunch of little black dots on your dress as opposed to just the tiny bit of color.
  • Options
    Go with the french manicure.
  • Options
    Dark colors are best on short nails, and up against a white dress they wouldnt look very classy, French manicure is classic and wont look dated in your photos.. Stay away from gray nails, unless you are going for the zombie bride look ;)
  • Options
    You could also do a french with a navy design on your ring finger for example. I have had french for the past 8 years straight almost so I, too, am partial. Maybe get your toes in navy if you want to incorporate the color!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards