June 2013 Weddings

Guest List Issue (long)

This is a long one, sorry in advance for that.

We've got our guest list pretty much hammered out, but we've got one couple we're kind of stuck on. We're at the upper limit of guests and don't want to go beyond that number, because it has the potential to put us into a bigger tent size, a larger bartending package, etc, at a considerable cost (like an extra $1,000).

So, here's the problem: My fiance's parents are friend with this couple, Mr. & Mrs. Smith. My fiance was friends (although not super-close) with their son, Smith Jr., in high school, but they drifted apart and haven't really socialized/kept in contact for several years. However, Smith Jr. got married last fall and invited us to his post-destination wedding reception/party. My future mother-in-law is insisting that we invite Mr. & Mrs. Smith, despite the fact that they don't really socialize with the Smiths much anymore.

My fiance and I are both firmly of the mindset that we do not want to invite Mr. & Mrs. Smith, because a.) there are other people we've already cut off the guest list that we'd rather invite, if we were going to add more people, b.) If we invite Mr. & Mrs. Smith, my future mother-in-law thinks that Smith Jr. and his wife should also be invited, and c.) since we're not close to these people, it kind of feels like it's a gift-grab.

For what it's worth, our parents are both contributing comparable amounts of $$ towards the wedding, and we made it clear when they offered the money that it was all going into one big wedding fund, along with our contribution. So, it's not a matter of his parents paying for the reception or anything like that. We just really, really want to try and stay where we're at with the tent rentals/bartenders and everything, because our list is tight as it is and a few more people means a decent sized additional expense that we'd like to avoid (as we're trying not to spend every single penny available). We kept the guest list to people that we feel sure will come, so we really do not feel comfortable banking on a couple of declines.

So...what would you ladies do? Tell the future mother-in-law that the guest list is set and we're not adding Mr. & Mrs. Smith (and Smith Jr. and Wife)? Add Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Smith Jr. & Wife, just to keep the peace, and risk having everyone RSVP yes and bump up a level on all of our rentals? B-List Mr. & Mrs. Smith (yes, I know this is not the etiquette-approved option)? She keeps pestering us about the guest list, so we've got to make a call on this soon.

Re: Guest List Issue (long)

• I think B listing them would be the best way out. Most likely not everyone will be able to attend anyways, but just in case they do you won't have to pay the extra $1,000 which you can spend towards something more important. I know I'll be having a B list for a few people from work who I like and hang out with occasionally, but not to the point where I will be super dissapointed if we simply can't afford to invite them. I've talked to a few friends and they said that everyone understands with times being tough and all. And although I understand it's against etiquette, I think in this day and time it's not that big of an issue.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cnf2013cnf2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I'd say tell them no. If you're not comfortable adding more people than don't. Even if they're paying at the end of the day it's still you and FI's wedding and you two need to be comfortable with the inner workings of it all. Personally, I think it sounds gift grabby that Jr. invited you guys to his post DW party. I know there's always more at the post party than the DW, but still, if you aren't in contact anymore then it seems like it was for money and gifts honestly.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I agree with cnf. Tell her the list is set and that you just don't have the room on the guest list for them. You could always explain you had to cut others as well so hopefully she won't take it personally. If you do end up inviting Mr & Mrs Smith I wouldn't invite Smith Jr & Wife. Just because you were invited to their post DW party doesn't mean that they have to be invitied to your wedding especially where your FI isn't close to him anymore. 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am trying to cut our list too. Because there are relatives I don't want to invite. Lets just say some are just gonna complain. So I can save room and money.

• Question: Since it sounds like you have a particular number of guests you want to have at your wedding, I am curious how many extra guests are you inviting? For example, my fiance and I want to have about 200 guests at our wedding and I'm not sure how many guest we should invite initially...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ktappa, we're not really inviting extra guests (other than possibly the two mentioned in my original post, who we'll probably only end up inviting if we get a couple of people who decline). We decided we really wanted to stay at 175, and we did our guest list off of that. By sticking with a firm number, it forced us to really sit there and consider who we really wanted there. It also helped us weed out the people who, ten years from now, we'd sit there and think "Why the heck did we invite them, anyways?"

Thanks to everyone for your advice with this!!

• I would B list them and if there are any declines you can invite them.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards