South Carolina-Charleston

Need help finding Charleston Venue!

Ok so my delima starts with a hopeful soon to be bride visiting Kiawah Island thinking the world was going her way.  Then came the estimate of 60K.  Well that is NOT possible for me.  So I would like to spend no more then 20K on ceremony and reception.  But I LOVED Kiawah Islands look.  Are there any suggestions?  I particularly like the water in the background at the ceremony.  It could be a lake for crying out loud but water is the goal.  Oh and there are 120 guests.  

Re: Need help finding Charleston Venue!

• edited December 2011
    I'm getting married at Boone Hall Plantation on The Cotton Dock.  They can seat comfortably 100 people, with standing room in the back. Best part--the location is set right at the edge of the marsh. :)  It's very pretty and probably more in your price range.  I'm planning a wedding for 150 in your same budget.  Hope that helps!
  • edited December 2011
    We got married at Middleton Place Plantation. There were only 4 of us, so I'm not sure what their pricing is for your wedding.

https://www.middletonplace.org/
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    We are also getting married at MP, and will be having about 50 people.  It is a beautiful venue with the view of the water, not the ocean, it may be a lake or river?  You should be able to do something there within your budget.  Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_south-carolina-charleston_need-finding-charleston-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:600Discussion:e879ab67-b117-439d-8476-ee5a242b134dPost:ca5c5f36-cce3-4d10-825a-420253fa2e47">Re: Need help finding Charleston Venue!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are also getting married at MP, and will be having about 50 people.  It is a beautiful venue with the view of the water, not the ocean, it may be a lake or <strong>river</strong>?  You should be able to do something there within your budget.  Good luck!
    Posted by Melissa&ChadBoettcher[/QUOTE]

It's actually the Ashley River. But, you can get married at the Butterfly Lakes. We had our ceremony at the Rice Pond. It was a beautiful setting.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Purple&7Purple&7 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Charleston Yatch Club was nice and very inexpensive.

The Charleston Maritime Center is another great venue for a wedding.  I attended a wedding there it was great being right on the harbor.
  • edited December 2011
    You could also look into Lowndes Grove -- although it may be out of your budget if you want to keep things at 20K -- or the Rice Mill. Those both have water as well.

ETA: Also Creek Club at I'on. Check there too. 
    tiffandshel.tumblr.com
    www.tiffandshel.com/wedding

Photobucket

Anniversary
  • katydid2014katydid2014 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Patriots Point Golf Course/River Towne Country Club.  They have a large outdoor pavilion with a view of the Charleston Harbor.  I attended a friend's wedding there and it was very nice.  They can probably enclose the pavilion too and give you some large space heaters if you are going to have your wedding in the colder months.  In the summer there is a really good breeze off the water so it really isn't too hot after the sun goes down.
  • edited December 2011
    My Fiance are getting married at The Old Exchange on East Bay & Broad...we are having ceremony & reception there. Not sure if you are looking for an outside venue specifically, as the Old Exchange is indoors. We are getting married there in May 2012. The building is over 200 years old and the architecture is breathtaking, we also liked the idea of being able to use it for both ceremony & reception. The Old Exchange was not initially on our list of places to look at as far as venues go, but we were in love as soon as we saw The Great Hall. Also, the cost of the venue is very reasonalble and since they are a non-profit organization (they operate as a museum during the day) you can write it off on your taxes. They also allow outside catering which was good for us. We are pulling this wedding off for WAY less than 20K. We  also found a GREAT deal on a cake too, we thought it was inevitable to spend over $700 for a cake to feed 100+, however we have found a place who will do it for less than $300 which includes delivery as well. Hope this helps! Good luck with your planning & CONGRATS!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at Pepper Plantation. There's a beautiful lake and it's a very quiet setting. I know a lot of people have their ceremonies out by the lake, which I would have done if we weren't getting married in a church.

• megansmith1megansmith1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

You may not be familiar with it since it is not advertised, but the Kiawah Island Community Association has a property owner's building called the Sandcastle, which you can be sponsored by a member to rent. It is a lot less expensive than a resort owned facility and you can hire any catered you'd like!

• Court579atuscCourt579atusc member
    First Comment
    edited January 2012
    We had our reception on Seabrook Island which is right where Kiawah is, just right at the circle instead of left. They do ceremonies on the beach and their club house overlooks the ocean as well. Kathleen is a dream to work with. I had the same number at my reception and stayed well within your budget and we didn't skimp at all. 

Our rehearsal dinner was at the Charleston Yacht Club and though it was beautiful I thought it was a little tight space-wise and we only had 60 for that, no way you'd be able to put in a dance floor and band.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards