Wedding Woes

Invitations-Etiquette Question

I have a few younger cousins in my family and their parents let them run rampid at all family events, even formal ones.  I don't think that a wedding is a place for kids and I want to only invite adults to the wedding.
How do I address this situation?  Should I ask my family individually?  Should I write no kids in the invitations?... I want to be polite, but I also want my wishes to be clear?  How can I do this with out hurt feelings and with class?

Re: Invitations-Etiquette Question

• Address the inviatations to the parents only. If you inlcude an inner envelope, do not include the kids names. Then use word of mouth to get the word out that no kids are invited. If people RSVP with their kids, then you have to call them and tell them that the kids were not invited.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • SarahP is right. It might be helpful to say when you call these parents that your guest list is tight and you cannot accomodate the extra kids at the wedding (that's important to say if there will be some children). Or, just children of the immediate family are invited. If the parents raise a fuss, just say that you'd love to have them there but you 'll understand if they cannot make it without the kids. Then the ball is in their court.
  • DG1DG1 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    What they said.

And the word you're looking for is "rampant," not "rampid."

• Address the parents on the outside and then write "We have reserved 2 seats in your honor" on the RSVP card.
  • Address the invitations to the parents only.  Don't write 'and family or anything misleading."

I also recommend not following the advice of clairissad who suggested writing "2 seats reserved."  That opens the door to mom substituting her daughter if the father has a business trip or doesn't want to go.

If you DO want to make things specific on the response card, write out the actual names of those invited followed by __accepts or ___declines so there's no room for write in names.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards