Virginia

Any Budget Brides Out There? Help with Logistics

Hello All.

I am going to pull off a wedding on a $3500 budget (this doesn't include rings or honeymoon).  Is anyone else out there on a small budget?

I think the biggest challege I am going to overcome is the venue location and setup and break down work.  I have a caterer friend that is preparing a buffet dinner for $1000 for 125 people.  Since I am looking for a venue that will allow me to bring my own food, drink and set up the reception decorations, I am afraid of how I will have enough time.

Ideally I would want to set the room up the night before (Friday) and then only have to deal with the food on Saturday.  I think the reception will start at 6 or 7. 

Most of the venues I have looked at charge by the hour, so that would mean I would have to be setting up and decorating the reception room an hour before the ceremony.  Not cool.  I want to be relaxing.

Any other brides out there dealing with DIY logistics and Budget Issues.

Thanks.

Re: Any Budget Brides Out There? Help with Logistics

• edited December 2011
    At the risk of sounding abit harsh, youre really expecting quite abit. Bringing your own food is one thing. But to want to set up the nite before & not get charged for it, that'll be a tough one to find. If you set up the nite before, that's a nite the venue wouldnt be able to rent the room to someone else. Perhaps you could save on that by hiring a "day of coordinator" who would be willing to go into the venue a couple hrs before & set up. Since you'll be saving on the caterer, this might be something to think about. I'm soooo not trying to sound like Debbie Downer but more so realistic. Have you considered a VFW type of hall? What area are you in?
  • edited December 2011
    Unfortunately your experience pretty much matches mine. I didn't find many venues that let you bring in your own caterer. I would suggest looking for a friend's house that you can have the wedding at. Or have it at a park.
  • Ccsvball05Ccsvball05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing mine in the gymnasium of my church. My mom and a few other ladies are decroating it and it will be beautiful. This make the church and enue FREE!!!! If you are thinking of having professional pictures you should start considering that in your budget....that will be a nice chunk!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary
  • entilzadelennentilzadelenn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gymnasium of a church, someone's backyard, or a park are probably your best bets. 
  • lily1346lily1346 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where in VA are you planning to be married?  My venue is super cheap and they set up the tables and chairs for you that day!  It's the Yorktown Freight Shed (in Yorktown, obviously, haha).  If you're in Hampton Roads, you may want to look into it. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • milissae77milissae77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am located in Williamsburg, VA.  I checked out the Freight Shed, and it is out of my price range of $500.  The base fee is $600 and each hour you are there is $125.  I would think I would need the place at least 4 hours, so that would total $1,100.  Ouch!

Thanks for the suggestion.  My friend catered there recently, she says it is beautiful.
  • lily1346lily1346 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Actually, each hour you're there OVER 3 hours is $125, so for a 4 hour wedding (like ours) it's only $625!  Base fee $500 for 3 hours + $125 for the extra hour!  Really super cheap.  I've heard of just getting married ON the beach, which might be even cheaper.  You'd have to get licenses and stuff to do it, but that'd be really pretty too!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • milissae77milissae77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the clairification.  :-)
  • edited December 2011
    Totally understand this!  I planned mine in 4 months and only spent about $5000.  Im happy to help with any planning ideas you need.  Just ask me!  I had to scrouge up a bunch of quality stuff for a great value.
    Are you looking for venues, cake, decorations, etc?
  • mandmcandiemandmcandie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The most affordable places I have found were museums.  I'm having my wedding and reception both at the Danville Museum of Fine Arts and History.  Its $500 for the whole day, and since they don't have a catering service, I can bring in whoever I'd like.  We're doing the entire shindig outdoors by the rose garden (which also helps cut expenses, because I don't have to buy as many flowers and decorations). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards