Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How many appetizers?

We're currently planning a summer sunset ceremony, so the ceremony & reception will both be after dinner. 

WP pictures will be done beforehand (in the daylight), but my thought was having a relaxed cocktail hour for those who want to socialize before dancing starts with passed appetizers and possibly a veggie station.

How many servings do you think are appropriate per person?

How many different appetizers?

ETA: On a related note - I was contemplating a variety of desserts such as cake balls, creme puffs, 1 inch cheesecake squares, etc. in addition to the cake itself.  Would 1 serving per type be adequate or should we spring for more?

Formerly known as flutterbride2b

Re: How many appetizers?

• MelissaC315MelissaC315 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Because you're not having a meal I would say add a few more apps than normal. It is a non-meal time so I don't think you have to have enough to fill people up like a meal but I would think I would include more than just a cocktail hour if that makes sense?

I think having a station like a veggie station is a good idea because people can grab as much or as little as they would like if they are still hungry, etc.

I would think 5 or 6 varieties of apps should be enough. Depending on your budget. I would say to have enough for 8 to 10 servings per person? (total not per type of app). This is just a rough estimate... I think it totally depends on if you're doing desserts too. I think I would provide 1 slice of cake per person. 1 serving per type of dessert should be plenty.
  • edited December 2011
    I was told the rule of thumb with a meal is 6-10 pieces per person.

Without a meal 12-16 pieces per person.

I think if the deserts are all plated on one serving plate 1 per person is fine.  If its displayed then you'd probably want to do 2 of each per person.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having 4 apps during cocktail hour which includes a mini soup and a mashed patatoe station.  I say it depends on how much food will be served at the wedding. I have been to wedding were there is a ton of food at the cocktail hour and then you get to dinner and there is no room to eat. 

I think 3 or 4 of each selection per person is good. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards