Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

Advice for non-make-up person

I do not wear make-up.  The only thing I put on my face daily is combination skin moisturizer.  Once upon a time when I did wear make-up (~12 years ago), I didn't like the feel of the make-up on my skin and any eye make-up I wore made my eyes hurt during and for about a day after wearing it.  I have no idea what to do about wedding make-up and more urgently, engagement photo make-up.  We are getting our engagement photos done Oct. 6th.  Any suggestions for make-up options?

Re: Advice for non-make-up person

• Options
    I have sensitive skin and have had good luck with Almay products in the past. 
    For my engagement photos and wedding makeup I went to MAC and paid for $50 worth of products (actually a lot more since I bought pretty much everything they used)  to get a "makeover".  The products did fine with my skin, they taught me a lot, and I couldn't believe what a beautiful job they did.  I was a non-makeup person too, but now that I feel like I have a new skill, I might just become a makeup wearer!
  • Options
    Hire a professional Makeup Artist. 

Tell them your issues and concerns and ask them to design a makeup look for your wedding and engagement photos. Let them know how sensitive your eyes and skin are. A true professional can design a very natural look using products that will not aggrivate your skin or eyes.

If you're only planning on wearing makeup for these events, then it makes more sense to hire a makeup artist. Do not just go to a makeup counter where you will be expected to purchase the products, which you have no intention of using again afterward. Especially MAC! If you have sensitive skin, these products will seem very heavy. 

Not sure where to find a Makeup Artist? Check TK vendor section in your area OR call the beauty salons in your area, many of them provide makeup services or have contact information for freelance Makeup Artists in your area.

Anniversary
  • Options
    I would go to a professional make up artist.  I do wear light makeup daily (bare minerals with concealer underneath for spots and dark circles) but I have sensitive, break out prone skin and I'm certainly no professional at makeup application.  I say for your wedding day it is worth spending the money on!  Prices will vary depending upon who you go to.  Ladies in your area should be able to make good recommendations to you for various make up artists.
  • Options
    Airbrush makeup might also be something worth looking into if you don't like the feel of makeup on your skin - definitely talk to a professional though, they can make recommendations based on the information you provide.
  • Options
    One more thing I forgot...the MUA mixed the foundation with some
    moisturizer which made it glide on nicely, and gave a nice sheer look that wasn't so heavy.  It's great if you have dry skin - probably not so much if your skin is oily, however.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies!  I was leaning towards a make-up artist since I don't want to buy a bunch of products I know I won't use again.  Now I just have to find one.  

My wedding venue has an Aveda salon and spa attached to it.  I have been told that Aveda is good, but I obviously have no clue.  Since the venue is about an hour away and we will be doing our engagement photos near where we live, I didn't want to make the trip up there for engagement make-up.  I was trying to find an Aveda place closer so that I could at least get a feel for the products they use and see if I would want to do that for my wedding.  I still plan on doing a trial for hair and make-up in May/June since our date is June, 29th.  Just wondering if it would be worth trying Aveda for the Oct. 6 engagement shoot, or if I should look at all options.
  • Options
    Go with the Aveda salon for your engagement shoot so that you can try their products (they're awesome, by the way) and also get to know the makep artist. This way if you don't like their place you can use your time until next summer to find another salon to try. Don't leave that till the last minute. 

I think you'll love their products though and be glad you discovered them now. Have fun with it. 

Anniversary
  • Options
    I think the hour out of your way will be worth it. Are they doing your hair too? Get it all done at once!
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards