New York-Western

Ventosa

We're very close to picking Ventosa Vineyards as our ceremony and reception venue for our 2012 wedding.

Does anyone who has had a wedding there or attended a wedding there have thoughts on the site, venue, food, service, etc?

Re: Ventosa

• edited December 2011
    When Kev and I looked for a vineyard to hold our reception at, we narrowed it down to Ventosa and Glenora almost immediately.  Ventosa has, by far, one of the best views on the lake (if not THE best)... the patio kind of sticks out over the rows of grapes... breathtaking!!!  The building is desinged perfectly to hold weddings and receptions, really a lovely set up.
    However... we ended up going with Glenora for a few reasons:
    Ventosa:
    #1- the wine... to be honest, I am not the biggest fan of their wine.  That's a terrible thing to say for such a beautiful winery, but I really didn't think they had the greatest selection.  We wanted to be able to offer a selection of wines that would please every palate- from sweet to dry.  They have excellent dray wines, but really nothing on the sweet side. 
    #2- the price... holy cow.  The wines are expensive ($20+ per bottle), the price per head is pretty high ($45 I think, right?)... I just didn't think it was worth it. 
    #3- wedding coordinator... I am not sure if this has changed, but the wedding coordinator (or event coordinator or manager or whoever we spoke with) really wasn't that helpful or excited to deal with us at all.  She pretty much tossed a sheet of prices at us, opened the door to the ballroom and told us to let her know if we would like to book a date.
    Glenora:
    #1- they have an absolutely amazing selection of wines from super sweet and fruity to dry and sophisticated.  A little something for everyone.  They are even offering to do a wine tasting for our guests during the coctail hour so they can sample a few different types of wine before they make their choice for dinner.  I thought this was cool.
    #2- We are paying $38/head for a buffet dinner and we are able to select certain bottle of wine to offer.  The wines at Glenora are MUCH more reasonably priced (most are $10-12/bottle)  I hate to sound cheap, but boy it adds up... we have almost 200 guests... any way to cut back a little without skimping for our guests will help.
    #3- Sherry Spotts is AMAZING.  She has done several tours (every time a different family member comes into town we do a tour) and give us a glass of champagne every time we come in.  She really treats us like royalty,  She has also helped us to select our DJ and cake place.  She is full of wonderful suggestions and has been wonderful to us and our families.  I have so much confidence that she is going to rock on our big day!
    #4- Glenora has an inn attached to the reception site... a great place for the hubby and I (as well as our bridal party and some of our guests) to stumble down the hall to at the end of the night.  Bonus:  the bride and groom's suite is free.  Yippee!!!

I am a little biased, but my experience thus far with Glenora has been fantastic.  Totally blew Ventosa out of the water and I haven't looked back since.

I am sure a wedding at Ventosa would be breathtaking, but before you make your decision, I would check out a few other sites just in case.
    Miss Mrs. New & Improved Blog Chart
    Online Garage Sale
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    monica & kevin married 5.28.11
    bfp 8.11.11 - m/c 8.17.11
    bfp 11.11.11 - edd 7.25.12
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • spenet1spenet1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I attended a wedding at Ventosa a few years ago, and it was just stunning. I didn't even look at it for mine, though, because it was a) at the tippy top of my price range, and there wasn't much for accommodations in the area (everyone would be coming from Rochester or out of state, so we're talking 60-70 hotel rooms).

What I remember from Ventosa was AMAZING food, decent wine, and a terrible glare when the sun set! The head table was against the window, so THEIR eyes weren't in the sun, but everyone else's were. It was just annoying for about 30 minutes...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    White Knot
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info!

Glenora looks beautiful and I've heard wonderful things about it, but it's farther from Rochester than I want to be. Ventosa is actually farther than I want to be, but I can deal with it.
  • burtcherylburtcheryl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

VENTOSA anyday of the week over ANYWHERE else period

Burt and Cheryl
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my wedding at Ventosa this September.  RJ is the wedding coordinator there and he has been nothing but amazing.  Also the owner has gone above and beyond to accommadate us as well. She has a number of rental properties along the lake and offered to let us stay at one of them for a lot less than she normally charges.  So far no regrets booking Ventosa. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MeganAdams04MeganAdams04 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having our reception next October at Ventosa.  We haven't gotten very far in the planning process, however, after looking at a number of country clubs, golf courses, other wineries and hotels... I can't wait for Ventosa!  It has everything that we want in terms of decor and RJ has been great so far!  I've heard amazing things about the food, and the wine isn't as good as Glenoras.. but it's big enough for our reception.  I love the view at Glenora, but it was much too small for our guest list.  In terms of transportation to and from Ventosa, we've arranged for a car service to bring our guests back to the hotels. Everyone at our wedding is traveling from out of town, so I was able to convince the Ramada to help us out.  (If you have 100+ rooms at 1 hotel... it's amazing how much they'll help you!)  Good luck with your planning!  Don't forget to post pictures!
  • Does Glenora serve liquor as well as wine and beer (full service bar)?
    Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards