Wedding Etiquette Forum

Give the ring back?

A woman I work with is getting divorced and her engagement ring was an heirloom from her (soon-to-be-ex) husband's family.  I don't know what her plans are, but do you think she should return that ring? 

I'm inclined to say yes because it's an heirloom and not something he picked up at the mall (in which case I'd probably expect her to keep it).  There was no infidelity or abuse on anyone's part (that I know of), just general "irreconcilable differences".  Thoughts?  I'm just curious.
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: Give the ring back?

• I think I'd give back a family heirloom.
  • I would probably give it back.  It's a family heirloom, it would be strange for her to keep it unless they have a child together that she could give it to.
    Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'd probably give it back.
  • I'd give it back if it's an heirloom and there's no abuse/cheating.
  • kate51485kate51485 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited February 2010
    Because it's from the family, I'd give it back.  Although if I were him, I don't know if I'd want to give it again to my next fiancee.  Tainted/bad luck and all that...

ETA - good point about maybe keeping it if they had kids together.  Do they?
  • I think she should give the ring back, only because it's an heirloom.  Legally she might not have to, but it would be the right thing to do.  When I got divorced, division of property was spelled out in the agreement, including wedding rings.
  • edited February 2010
    EX asked about mine (NOT an heirloom) once after he left and the divorce was almost final. I don't know if he wanted it to give to skankwhore or not. It gave me immense pleasure to tell him it was resting at the bottom of Lake Hickory, probably right under the Hwy. 321 bridge.
  • I'd give it back to his family, not him.  I'm passive agressive.

Photobucket
  • I think it's hers to keep, unless the gift was conditioned upon her returning it in case of divorce.  If he asks for it back, then I would probably return it, but if not - I wouldn't begrudge her for keeping it.  She could pass it along to a child(ren) if any.  It continues to be an heirloom.
  • It's a family heirloom and it should stay in the family. (anyone know what movie that's from?)

If it wasn't a family heirloom depending on the conditions of the divorce I would keep it. Unless I was the one who fucked up royally, then I'd give it back.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • Castaway.

And I'd give it back.
  • I have a really good guy friend who was married less than a year, and his ex had his grandmother's engagement ring. Her father actually bought it from her and returned it to my friend. She was just keeping it for spite. I hate her.
  • I can't imagine wanting a wedding ring from a previous wedding.  I wouldn't want to wear it.
    Photobucket
  • If there are children, I'd keep it and give it to them.  If he asks about it, and there are children, that's exactly what I'd tell him.

If there aren't children, I think I'd give it back to him.  If we're divorcing because he's a douche, then I'd give it back to this family.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-ring-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:569af9b3-0164-4c73-b912-5212b9b0c63fPost:dfe511d4-afb1-498e-a162-7186147a1938">Re: Give the ring back?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a really good guy friend who was married less than a year, and his ex had his grandmother's engagement ring. Her father actually bought it from her and returned it to my friend. She was just keeping it for spite. I hate her.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

That is so horrible.

I live in a puppies and rainbows kind of world.  But, God forbid, if something like happened with us, I'd like to think I'd have the courtesy to give Robert the family diamond back.  The setting and the band are mine though and I'm keeping that.
  • There aren't any children, so I imagine she'll give it back.  I don't think she's the spiteful type.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • Return it.  If there are children, I think it should be his choice to give it to one of them.  Besides, if there are multiple kids - how do you decide who gets it?
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-ring-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:569af9b3-0164-4c73-b912-5212b9b0c63fPost:681d9fd3-8b5e-492c-9725-09c656c44aa0">Re: Give the ring back?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Return it.  If there are children, I think it should be his choice to give it to one of them.  <strong>Besides, if there are multiple kids - how do you decide who gets it?
    </strong>Posted by squirrly[/QUOTE]

I have no idea how Robert got the family ring, unless it had something with him being the only boy and it being passed down to the boy?  But his Dad was one of 3 boys and he wasn't the oldest.  Some questions I'd rather not ask.  If there is resentment about it, I don't even want to know because it had nothing to do with me.  I know Robert didn't ask for it.  He cried when his mom offered it to him :) I have the sweetest guy.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-ring-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:569af9b3-0164-4c73-b912-5212b9b0c63fPost:c393fba2-0931-47e0-b94b-8b78809b0b83">Re: Give the ring back?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably give it back.  It's a family heirloom, it would be strange for her to keep it unless they have a child together that she could give it to.
    Posted by skhynes[/QUOTE]

This.

Especially if their split was pretty amicable.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I'd give back a family heirloom.

However, I sold my wedding set from my first marriage, and I've sold all jewelry he gave me. There was no family heirlooms there.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I have a ring that's a family heirloom and I could never keep it... never.  If anything were to happen, I'd return it to FI's mother. 
    Laura
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • She should give it back. It was obviously meant to stay in the family which is probably why she got it in the first place.

This happened to family friends of ours and the girl did not give the ring back and his mother was pissed like I've never seen before. It's not cool to do that to a family.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-ring-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:569af9b3-0164-4c73-b912-5212b9b0c63fPost:bdc24021-97e6-45e7-a0af-679d25c71559">Re: Give the ring back?</a>:
    [QUOTE]EX asked about mine (NOT an heirloom) once after he left and the divorce was almost final. I don't know if he wanted it to give to skankwhore or not. It gave me immense pleasure to tell him it was resting at the bottom of Lake Hickory, probably right under the Hwy. 321 bridge.
    Posted by BecW2be[/QUOTE]

I love this.

I gave my ex the ring back, but I regretted it when I found out that he had run up a $150 phone bill for me by making calls to Canada.  Here I am, trying to do the "right" thing by giving him back the ring and giving him time to get his own cell phone contract.

I'm sorry, we weren't talking about me, were we. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_give-ring-back?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:569af9b3-0164-4c73-b912-5212b9b0c63fPost:c583fca8-2178-4b4d-a6d0-9579f90a5995">Re: Give the ring back?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Give the ring back? : I love this. I gave my ex the ring back, but I regretted it when I found out that he had run up a $150 phone bill for me by making calls to Canada.  Here I am, trying to do the "right" thing by giving him back the ring and giving him time to get his own cell phone contract. I'm sorry, we weren't talking about me, were we. 
    Posted by goheels05[/QUOTE]

Heels, you're so selfish.

• I love you, sucrets. 
  • ::kisses::

• My center stone is an heirloom.  I would of course give it back in the event of a split.
  • Legally if he gave it to her as a gift, ie xmas, Valentines, birthday then she gets to keep it.  Any other day it's not a gift so she gives it back.  I've seen a couple of court cases where that's the standard they use for deciding.  I personally think family heirlooms need to be returned.
  • If I had an heirloom from FI's family and we split, I'd definitely give it back. I do have an heirloom, but it's from my side of the family. So I keep it, no matter what happens.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards