Missouri-Kansas City

Budget Venue Help!

So I just recently got engaged and my fiance and I are currently living in Columbia, while I go to school. I don't have an abosolutely set budget right now, but we need to keep it as low as we possibly can.

I found a great venue here in Columbia at one of the parks. They have a great indoor building that isn't unattractive. It also provides tables and chairs. It has everything we need. The plan being to have a short ceremony outside, then move inside to the building for the reception. This location is only $450 for an entire Saturday (8 am-11pm).

However, both of our families live in Kansas City, so my family is wanting me to have it there (which would be far more convenient). The problem is that I cannot find any venues that measure up to the one here in Columbia.

The specifics I would need in a venue:
  • About 100 guests
  • Preferably a place where I can have ceremony and reception in the same place (i.e. ceremony outside, reception inside).
  • I would love if it included tables and chairs.
  • As cheap as possible, but still pretty and not in need of a lot of masking (I'm not really looking for a VFW hall).

It would be GREAT if you could make some recommendations.

Thanks!!

Re: Budget Venue Help!

• Alexander Majors House in KCMO (State Line) has a barn that is pretty if you are into that kind of reception. It is about $900 on a Saturday, including tables and chairs etc.

There's also the George Meyn Hall in Bonner Springs, it's $850 I believe and can hold a lot of people. I have never been there but I think it might be "VFW-ish" but maybe worth looking at!

Grinter Place in KCK is a historical site and has a cute place for a reception. Not sure on price but my cousin had her HS grad party there so I assume it can't be too expensive. Also don't know if there is an outdoor place for a ceremony...

CONGRATS and good luck! I'll see if I can think of anymore
  • Here's some info I recently put together for a friend that is wedding planning.  They are a little more expensive that $450, but some may be worth looking into!  
    Cellar 222 in KCMO cellar222.com
    -very cool looking inside.
    - holds ~150 people
    -1500 rental fee and includes cocktail tables, sound system, and something else I can't remember.
    -has prefered vendor/caterer list, but I believe you may be able to use your own as well.
    Heritage Hall in Liberty theheritagehall.com
    -little less charm, but spacious(up to 320 ppl), ample parking, and easy to decorate inside.
    -2500 rental fee, includes tables, chairs, linens, and set up/tear down.
    -can use any vendors and bring your own alcohol
    Drexel Hall in KCMO drexelhall.com
    -neat looking outside and inside. I believe it was built around 1900.
    -2300 rental fee, includes 100 chairs and 10 tables. Addt'l available for fee.
    -has preferred vendors
    -Can hold over 200 guests I think
    Belvoir Winery in Liberty belvoirwinery.com
    -beautiful grounds, can make it fancy or dress it down, awesome brick building
    -3000 rental fee, includes tables, chairs, and linens
    -no vendor/catering restrictions
    -can hold a lot of people

You can also look into Peeper Ranch, Weston Red Barn Farm, Mahaffie Farmstead, Matt Ross Community Center, or Lake Forest Clubhouse.
  • Adding on to Kelly's info-

I'm getting married at Peeper Ranch (in Lenexa KS) and it is $1000 for the whole Saturday and Friday night rehearsal. They DO NOT have tables and chairs so you have to get that yourself. If you were interested and had some questions you can PM me or call/email Theresa Beers at the ranch.

I also looked at Mahaffie Farmstead in Olathe. It was really pretty but couldn't hold the number of guests I needed, but would work for you! HERE is the pricing for it.

My high school has their proms at Lake Forest Clubhouse. It's $3k (I think), and you must get insurance. It's really nice and pretty though if you don't mind the price tag.
  • I am getting married at the Masonic Lodge in Lees Summit for $450 (winter price)  I think the regular price is $550. 
  •  Belvoir Winery.. it is a steal. I think in a few years that place is going to be outrageously expensive to get married at. The lady who coordinates the weddings got married there and is so helpful and friendly. It doesn't need much decor because the building itself is so beautiful.. They are also flexible with the bar situation.. and you are able to rent out the whole facility for the entire day. They have a ballroom that fits over a hundered people and plenty of rooms for pre wedding stuff.. and hey! good wine too!
  • The platte county fair grounds has a large building.  It is the platte purchase building.  Only building on the grounds with A/C!  The floor space alone is 60x90.  Includes tables and chairs.  huge kitchen are off the main floor space.  It is only $550.  We get the keys on thursday evening and have them until monday because there is no other event that weekend.  It also has enough space and room areas to get ready on site.  It just north of the airport so very easy  to get to.   
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards