Michigan-Detroit

update on the cold feet

Well, things have calmed down.

FI and talked last night and he said he still wants to go through the wedding. whew.  We both agreed that we definitely need to go to counseling, and I've set some up for myself individually and we will go together on weekends when we can. 

What is basically boils down to is that over the last year, we have lead two entirely separately lives in two different states.  We both are lucky to have jobs as our industries are in the tank, and we moved apart to keep financially supporting ourselves.  We thought at one point, someone would give up their job, or find a job in the other city, and move to the other, but neither of our companies has provided us with enough to make it 1. stable and 2. financially viable.  (I make less than he does; he doesn't come with spousal health insurance; both companies are also failing) Neither of us has been able to find another job either. 

So that leaves looking in an entirely new city, and starting fresh together. We agreed on a city (finally) a couple of weeks ago.  I thought things were ok.  But then over the Easter weekend, we had another huge blow up, and Tuesday night's argument was the tail end of that.  We just have so much tension between us that has built up from a result of two different lives, and we need help sorting it out.

Some might say that we shouldn't get married if we are so different, but we're compatible in all of the other important areas - kids, money, the families we came from, religion, etc.  Our families approve, are supportive, etc.  It's just that living in 2 states is a PITA.  Once we manage to get in the same zip code, I expect to have a very nice life together.
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: update on the cold feet

• klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish you guys the best of luck. It is so stressful to have a long distance relationship. When is your wedding?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Long distance is difficult ... I was in the Army, so that'd DEFINITELY a different lifestyle I was living. Where have you two decided to live/find jobs?! When's the wedding? Best of luck! And regardless of whether or not a couple is having troubles, I think counseling is important so good for you two! [: 
  • edited December 2011
    Best of luck to you and congrats on taking the step to recognize that counseling will be helpful to you.  Not easy to do, I'm sure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_update-cold-feet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:53e66b4a-07a1-4264-bcca-2442cb7aed7aPost:5483d24a-b001-45da-9c10-81938e33b465">Re: update on the cold feet</a>:
    [QUOTE]Long distance is difficult ... I was in the Army, so that'd DEFINITELY a different lifestyle I was living. Where have you two decided to live/find jobs?! When's the wedding? Best of luck! And regardless of whether or not a couple is having troubles, I think counseling is important so good for you two! [: 
    Posted by Milsey32[/QUOTE]

<div>I have a lot of appreciation for those in the Army and other services as a result of this. I don't know how anyone keeps their sanity.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'd prefer not to say where we're going because a lot of family and friends haven't been informed, plus obviously my employer doesn't know.  </div><div>
    </div><div>The wedding is September, so we have plenty of time to work it out.  I think we rushed into setting a date b/c FI was so eager for a fall wedding, and we didn't want to wait two years.  Lesson learned - wait and be flexible with the date!</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_update-cold-feet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:53e66b4a-07a1-4264-bcca-2442cb7aed7aPost:d60cbdcf-997c-4346-8ca8-2b49ba91c4cd">Re: update on the cold feet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: update on the cold feet : I have a lot of appreciation for those in the Army and other services as a result of this. I don't know how anyone keeps their sanity. I'd prefer not to say where we're going because a lot of family and friends haven't been informed, plus obviously my employer doesn't know.   The wedding is September, so we have plenty of time to work it out. <strong> I think we rushed into setting a date </strong>b/c FI was so eager for a fall wedding, and we didn't want to wait two years.  Lesson learned - wait and be flexible with the date!
    Posted by zulamay[/QUOTE]
    When we first got engaged i tried to rush it, not intentionally but because i was SO excited. FI put his foot down and we ended up waiting a little over a year to pick a date. Honestly it worked out best for us. He really wanted us to "enjoy the engagement stage" and not rush through it- i  was upset then, but totally get it now. it was the best choice for us.
    It'll all work out. Sounds like you guys really want to make it work!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_update-cold-feet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:53e66b4a-07a1-4264-bcca-2442cb7aed7aPost:d7e4ba0d-e62a-491d-a61d-0ffdaae5e62c">Re: update on the cold feet</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: update on the cold feet : When we first got engaged i tried to rush it, not intentionally but because i was SO excited. FI put his foot down and we ended up waiting a little over a year to pick a date. Honestly it worked out best for us. He really wanted us to "enjoy the engagement stage" and not rush through it- i  was upset then, but totally get it now. it was the best choice for us. It'll all work out. Sounds like you guys really want to make it work!
    Posted by klreese0213[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Yeah, FI complained that we didn't get to enjoy the engagement stage, so I'm like wait a minute - you can either 1. get married this fall or 2. enjoy the engagement. He picked the fall, but regretted that decision later.  But I will be passing this information onto my children one day...my parents never had a formal engagement so they are a bit clueless on these things. :)</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep i agree 100%. It so easy to get so caught up in the wedding idea. When we got engaged one of my best friends was planning her wedding and my sister was planning hers so my mind was already thinking weddings all day everyday.
    I will also pass the info because the last year has by far been one of our greatest challanges.
  • bee&beebee&bee member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I give you both a lot of credit for sticking with this and not just giving up and saying oh well, we tried and it's not working.  You really love and care about one another and are willing to do whatever it takes.  I'm sure counseling will help at least to mediate the situation, but it sounds like you already have a plan and know what needs to happen to help get things back on the right path. 

I'm sure you will be fine and will have a wonderful wedding and a great life together. 

Best of luck!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-detroit_update-cold-feet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:88Discussion:53e66b4a-07a1-4264-bcca-2442cb7aed7aPost:33f82ca8-11ec-4340-b9cd-7a0892388a01">Re: update on the cold feet</a>:
    [QUOTE]I give you both a lot of credit for sticking with this and not just giving up and saying oh well, we tried and it's not working.  You really love and care about one another and are willing to do whatever it takes.  I'm sure counseling will help at least to mediate the situation, but it sounds like you already have a plan and know what needs to happen to help get things back on the right path.  I'm sure you will be fine and will have a wonderful wedding and a great life together.  Best of luck!!
    Posted by bee&bee[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you so much for saying this.  I really needed to hear it.  </div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards