Washington
Options

Ladies...HELP!!!

So we are down to brass tacks now, a little over 5 months and I have NO IDEA what to feed my guests.  We are planning on approximately 200 guests and only have about $1000 budget for food.  I don't want to have to do it all myself, but if that's my only option, then I guess that's what I'm left with.  Please help.  I need the most frugal of you out there.  I would really love to have it catered, but I can't find ANYTHING for under about $8 a head.  Please, if you have ANY ideas, throw them at me.  I am open to any and all ideas.  The ceremony is at 5, reception to begin at 6.  We have a full kitchen at our diposal.  But I don't want to put my family out by asking them to do this all for me. 

Ok...GO!

Re: Ladies...HELP!!!

• Options
    docskigirldocskigirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wow... don't have much help for you... that is ~$5/person... you can hardly get paper plates and glassware for that.  I'd stick to cake and mints.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You can't really do a cake and punch reception at 6pm since it is a meal time.  I would move your ceremony and reception to a non-meal time of day and serve cake and punch.

If you can cut back on any aspect of the wedding/reception, I would.  If you are paying for centerpieces, get rid of them, use cheaper flowers for your bouquet/bridesmaid bouquets, etc.

I guess you could try for a ton of frozen lasagna or a bbq.  Food is definitely not a place to skimp.  No matter how beautiful your wedding is, if you don't have enough food, that is what people will remember.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could also reduce your guest list to meet the $8/person quote you found.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Whoa! I thought $15 was low pp.... Is there anyone who has the hook up on food?? Have you looked into getting platters of food from Coscto and biting the bullet and asking close friends to arrange it on platters to be passed family style??? That might work.

I agree with the preview bride... cut out the center pieces. Use candles only... Get creative with the centerpieces.. Do arrangements with fruits in your colors and other unconventional things like that?

Happy Planning Ladies!!! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Koolkay83Koolkay83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You ever thought about buffet line with different stations?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, we had a community-based event, which is a nice way of saying that most of our guests worked. We kept it pretty small - 65 people total, so it might depend on your guest list size, but...

We did a partially catered reception. We purchased all the main dishes (BBQ chicken, pork and beef) from a local restaurant and had them supply the chafing dishes. Then we notified friends and family that it was a potluck reception on the invitation (Potluck reception to follow). After that, whenever we talked to an invited guest, we'd ask them to bring their specialty. We saved so much money, but the best part was having all of our childhood favorites at our weddding. My grandma's wartime chocolate cake - our family's enchiladas, Oma's potato salad...it was awesome.
    Married! | July 15, 2005 | It's a Girl! | January 31, 2009 | It's a Girl! | July 21, 2011
    Heavens to Murgatroyd Blog
    Unofficial Baby Names Sticky Note: New and Old| Local Bumpie Website image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1000$ is tight but it is totally do-able! You can order sandwhich platters from local grocery store or costco. At costco you would be able to get everything: fruit / veggie trays, sandwhich platters, roll ups. Or the other option would of course be doing the cooking yourself which is obviously the cheaper route. Im sure your bridesmaids / family would love to help.,
  • Options
    char1221char1221 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should ask family and close friend if they could fix some of their specialty dishes and you buy the ingredients, that way they don't feel like they are putting out money they don't have, or you could do BBQ something really informal that won't break your budget.

Good Luck! It will all work out...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards