Iowa-Des Moines

Things to do in Des Moines

Hello Ladies,

I am from Omaha and we are coming up to Des Moines the first weekend in March. Do you have any suggestions on what there is to do and see and go visit. Usually we go to Jordan Creek and shop and do a few small other things but I want to do something a little out of the ordinary for us. We don't really know where to go to have a good time or anything else so any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

Re: Things to do in Des Moines

• milesbellamilesbella member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Blue Moon Dueling Pianos is a great time.  They have food/drinks and then dueling pianos start around 8 or 9 p.m.  I've never not had a fabulous time there.  It's out by Jordan Creek.
  • edited December 2011
    I know - Sometimes it's hard to find something to do right?!
    Is 'we' you and fiance/boyfriend? The first thing that came to my mind is the paint your own pottery place, Glazed Expressions....but maybe your guy wouldn't like that.
    The Science Center downtown is fun and they have an IMAX theater. You could also check out any sporting events - Buccaneers (hockey), Iowa Energy (basketball) unless it's Barnstormers time then (the arena football team).
    MetroMix.com is a great website for stuff to do and they do have Des Moines on there.
  • edited December 2011
    It's going to be me and a couple of my friends going up there. Kind of a girls weekend out. :-)

Those are some great ideas. The Piano Bar sounds like a lot of fun. :-)

• medusia00medusia00 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would also say if there is still snow on the ground and a good temp. try Brenton Skating Plaza and go Ice Skating! It would be a lot of fun, and not too much money!

http://brentonplaza.com/

Have fun while your here :)
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • edited December 2011
    Instead of shopping at Jordan Creek you could hit the East Village or Valley Junction for some unique stores.  Also, good places to eat and have drinks in the East Village. 
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Head out for a wine tasting at Jasper Winery...beautiful & totally fun place!

If you're up for trying a new place to eat, try Taki Japanese Steakhouse (make a reservation at the grill though--we always have a blast when we go there). 

Blue Moon is soooo much fun.  We love going there.  There are some unique shops in the West Glen area (my FI and I live very close to there).  Sticks is an awesome place if you're into art/handmade products. 

The skating plaza is also fun--the East Village is closeby, so you could easily go shopping in the East Village and head over to skate!  I would compare East Village to Omaha's Old Market area....Iused to live there, and absolutely love Omaha!  DSM is great too, though :-)
  • sdose13sdose13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto on East Village. So great ... try the food and drinks at the continental, hit the Locust Tap dive bar, shop at SMASH, a fun t-shirt shop.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards