Retro and Vintage Weddings

Bought a dress and don't know if its the one!! Please help :(

So I have tried this dress on a few times and everytime I do, I get everyone at the bridal salon giving compliments, stopping what they are doing to say it looks great, my entrie family felt it was the one, but I am still so unsure.  I just bought it because it was being discontinued and I bought the sample - thinking it would be great to save some money and also because if everyone else went out of their way to say how nice it was - maybe I would see it.  But I feel like I made a mistake.  I know most might say - you need to do what you want, its your day, you need to like it, but right now I am not really in the position to go buy another dress.  So I took some photos - I am posting it, please give your opinion!  Its a wedding at a 1800 Manor at 2 story barn - rustic.  I have no ideas the colors I am going with, still trying to see what goes with the dress.  The guys are wearing grey pants, white shirts, my fiance will have a grey vest - newsboy hat, etc and the other guys will have the grey pants, white shirts and suspenders.  Casual, Country, Rustic.  

Please, honest opinions, don't spare my feelings, I need your help!!! Thanks ladies!!!

Re: Bought a dress and don't know if its the one!! Please help :(

• I think the dress is quite lovely. Now that you've purchased one, just...stop looking for anything else.
  • That dress is gorgeous and looks perfect on your figure.

However, no one can talk you into loving something. It has to come from inside you. If you think another dress would make you happier, why? Was there something you were looking for specifically that is missing on that dress?

If for some reason you think it's missing the mark on perfectly fitting into the venue or your theme, you can add any headpiece or jewelry to pick that up.

Your dress is white, your guys are wearing grey. Grey is sort of like black, in that it goes with pretty much anything. If you are unsure of the other colors you want at your wedding, go to the paint department at a home improvement store and find a paint card with the grey you think you like.........then match it to other paint cards. Or, take them all to the venue and figure out what works within your vision.

Good luck. I LOVE the dress, and believe it fits a vintage-y or rustic theme perfectly.
  • I think you look amazing in it - but yes, no one can make you feel like it's the one. If it's really not the one and you won't feel fantastic in it on your wedding day, maybe try to sell it here and buy a new one. What about if you put all the accessories with it - the pretty shoes, a veil, necklace, hold a bouquet. 
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
  • edited October 2012
    I think it looks great on you, but if you're unsure about it, it's probably not "the one". If you feel like there might be something out there that you'd like more, then I'd definitely keep looking & try to sell that one. Do you feel like you'll regret settling for a dress you liked instead of finding your dream dress?
  • That dress is stunning and you look gorgeous.   Seriously - beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • That dress is stunning and you look gorgeous.   Seriously - beautiful.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's lovely and looks beautiful on you. I think that PPs are right, and your bouquet, maybe some flowers in your hair etc will complete the look. Right now you are seeing a 'dress' and not a 'bride'.

FWIW, lots of brides have doubts after buying the dress, since it's such a huge part of the planning. I used to manage a bridal salon, and for every girl who felt the way you do right now, almost none of them changed their dress. Everything else they tried on paled in comparison, and they just needed some reassurance.

HTH
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For what it's worth, I think the dress looks fun and unique.  Does it make you feel gorgeous? Flirty? Or is it a blah kind of feeling when you look at yourself?  If you don't feel like it fits your personality, then it may not be the right dress.  However, I felt utter panic after I put down the deposit on my dress.  It's very normal to have doubts.  If you don't want to spend the extra money on another dress, find out what you can do to jazz it up and make it yours.

I still think it's a cool dress.
  • wow what a perfect dress!!! thats exactly what ive been looking for!!! lol, and im doing a country rustic barn theme
  • Have you tried adding a colored (grey or some other color) sash? that would change the whole look of the dress and maybe spark your interest more...
    It is a truly beautiful dress and PERFECT for your figure, but if you really aren't feeling it, sell it on Craigslist, on here, on EBay whatever you have to do so you have the money to buy the one that makes you feel special.
    Bride To Be AND Wedding Photographer I live and breathe weddings! Firefly Photography by Cassie Tate www.wix.com/fireflypix/cassie-tate
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_retro-vintage-weddings_bought-a-dress-and-dont-know-if-its-the-one-please-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:667Discussion:e39e19d2-bf38-4ace-834e-ee37815188a5Post:9fc825ad-5a8a-4301-90f9-ea0c3f1ab4e9">Bought a dress and don't know if its the one!! Please help :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I have tried this dress on a few times and everytime I do, I get everyone at the bridal salon giving compliments, stopping what they are doing to say it looks great, my entrie family felt it was the one, but I am still so unsure.  I just bought it because it was being discontinued and I bought the sample - thinking it would be great to save some money and also because if everyone else went out of their way to say how nice it was - maybe I would see it.  But I feel like I made a mistake.  I know most might say - you need to do what you want, its your day, you need to like it, but right now I am not really in the position to go buy another dress.  So I took some photos - I am posting it, please give your opinion!  Its a wedding at a 1800 Manor at 2 story barn - rustic.  I have no ideas the colors I am going with, still trying to see what goes with the dress.  The guys are wearing grey pants, white shirts, my fiance will have a grey vest - newsboy hat, etc and the other guys will have the grey pants, white shirts and suspenders.  Casual, Country, Rustic.   Please, honest opinions, don't spare my feelings, I need your help!!! Thanks ladies!!!
    Posted by strategicstrides[/QUOTE]

This is totally what happened to me with my first dress. Luckily, I was able to swap the dress for my dream dress. It all depends on if your bridal store will work with you. Since you bought a sample gown, I am not sure it will work for you. If you are willing to pay money to get a new dress, than by all means find your dream dress. I tried on my fist dress several times due to the fact that the store ordered the wrong size, then reordered the dress again and so on... I do think this dress is gorgeous! I think that it will be great for what you are going for! I hope everything works out for you!!! I am sure it will :) !
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • wow. first of all i think this dress is phenomenal! it is really unique but not too unusual that it is risky. I really think its perfect on you. That being said, i can completly relate to this. i bought my first dress for the EXACT same reasons you did (people stopping, being discontinued...) after coming to terms with not being happy in it i was able to return it and start the whole process over, i tried on many more dresses and ended up getting one that i love...but still don't have "the feeling" about. i know some brides never get that feeling, but it seemed very unlikely that i would fall into that category. i didn;t begin to get excited about it until i started putting the whole image together. if getting a new dress is off the table i would suggest doing some photoshopping of different hairstyles, bouquets, accessories ect with the dress to start seeing a whole look to get excited about. and you have to stop looking at other dresses, easier said than done, i know, but they will make you second guess everything. I think so much pressure is out on making sure the dress is perfect that its hard to actually see when it is.
  • I love it!! Love love love the sparkles and it fits you like a glove. I can totally see this in a barn-themed wedding where everyone is expecting one style, but then you step in and just glam out the place. Very romantic, sparkly and I love the layers - and even with all that, it's not over-the-top.

Try doing a little updo with your hair and putting on your bridal jewelry when you try it on next. If you're in a position where you can't fork out the cash for a different dress, I would just stop looking all together and look at the positives of the situation.
  • That dress is stunning. It looks amazing on you! And I'm sure the details on it are even more beautiful in person. Seriously, I love that dress! I agree with everyone, the right accessories can totally change the look and make it more what you want. If this makes you feel any better, a good friend of mine just got married and she picked her dress really fast without really shopping around cuz she loved it so much. When it was time for her first fitting, though, she had totally changed her mind and hated the dress. She hated it so much that she sat down on the floor and cried, but it was too late and too expensive to buy a new one. On her wedding day, once her whole look was put together with hair, makeup, and accessories, she realized the dress really was stunning. And she looked AMAZING. Bottom line is, you are going to look beautiful. Don't let doubts over a dress bum you out.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards