Snarky Brides

baby shower help por favor

oh hai!
My bff lives in Texas and is going to be in town for 4 days in January. I'm throwing her a shower for about 15 people since we all won't be able to make it to Texas for a shower.

Anyway, my problem is wording. Is there a good way to ask people to not bring big heavy gifts and instead to have them shipped, or do I have to individually call them and tell them that? I don't know all of the guests so I'd have to put some of that on her mom. I assume people would know better, but still.

I was thinking of making it a 'virtual' shower where people all buy stuff online to ship to her and then bring something fun and creative to represent said gift (a picture, drawing, miniature model, etc.) so she doesn't have to pack all of it back to Texas, but I don't know if that's too drawn out and complicated or if people will think it's weird, etc.

Help? Suggestions? Am I nuts?

Re: baby shower help por favor

• I think this might be something that would have to be done by word of mouth. Are people calling you to RSVP? Maybe you could tell them then. Or the registry could only have small items so nobody buys anything too big. I went to a shower last week where the family bought her crib, and bedroom furniture but just printed a picture of the items and put it in the card. I don't know if I'm any help. GL.

20130105_202820-1_zps07580b43 Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • In my opinion, there is no polite way to dictate what kind of gifts to get a person or how they should be given. Although you could spread it around by word of mouth if it comes up.
    Hopefully the guests will have common sense and know that this person has to travel back home again lol.
  • yeah I'm guessing people should know better. ah well. I guess when they call me or her mom to rsvp we can tell them then. spanks.
  • I'm not sure I would tell what they can and cannot get. I would just make sure they know that she is flying to Texas for four days (if they've flown at all since luggage started being limited they'll figure it out). And don't do a virtual shower (if they choose to giv gifts that way, that's fine) but I like seeing people open my gifts.
  • IMO the point of a baby shower is to get all the big ticket items you need for a baby... stroller, car seat, swing etc- so telling people not to bring things defeats the purpose (and sucks for the new mom).  And I wouldnt mail something for a baby shower (or bridal shower) since the point is to shower them with gifts and ohh & ahhh over what they get.

I'd say dont say anything and like sucrets said she can return things if needed and re buy them.
  • noodle_oonoodle_oo member
    First Comment
    edited November 2010
    I dislike these kinds of virtual showers, but I realize that they exist and people will continue to do them regardless of the fact that it is rude to invite people to a shower but then ask them to ship all the gifts.  It is not really a shower... but I digress.

I went to one of these for my SIL recently.  The host had a label she stuck to the back of the invitation that asked all gifts be shipped to the couple's house and listed their address.  Everyone complied.  We put a photo of our gift in the card, but no one else even brought cards.  It was more of a party than a shower.  (Which is why the whole concept bugs me.)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards