Chinese Weddings

Bilingual Ceremony?

My FI is half-Taiwanese on his mother's side. For the most part, we're not planning on incorporating any Chinese traditions since his mother doesn't care. The problem is his grandmother speaks practically no English (although the rest of his family is fluent). I don't want her to feel uncomfortable or lost during the ceremony.

What's everyone's best ideas for incorporating a translation?

Re: Bilingual Ceremony?

• edited December 2011

I'm in a similar situation, only with three total languages. The in laws want it to be in Korean and English.  I'm not Korean!!!  I'm frustrated.  Please let me know what others decided to do with this issue as well.  I'd like to know how to do this smoothly.

I want to just do it in English...

• HoLee520HoLee520 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

For our wedding on June 25th, 2011, we are using an officiant who is Chinese so the ceremony is conducted in both Cantonese and English. Judy Chang is our officiant and is from Taiwan so she knows Mandarin. Her pricing is very reasonably with also customizing it to us.

http://judychang.com/

I hope this helps!

• edited December 2011
    Grandmother can be provided the 'script' in advance by a family member - have someone go over the details with her ahead of time. And at the ceremony, match her with a bilingual person who can provide some interpretation if necessary.
    I have also attended bilingual ceremonies where portions are done in one language or another. The ceremony is not repeated in two languages but rather alternate between languages.
    I'm a generation 1.5 who breathes in different languages and cultures, and is passionate about helping you and others with multicultural weddings. What am I selling? Nothing, just want to share ideas.
    Feel free to ask away.

ffeimo.tumblr.comtwitter.com/ffeimo
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards