Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Groomsmen Dance

Hi everyone! I previously posted this on the music board and it didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here!

FI and I had a Jack and Jill party, which started off with a photo scavenger hunt.  At stake: the losing team had to perform a dance at the wedding reception to a song of the winning team's choice.  Despite hardcore cheating by the boys, team bride won, and now I'm looking for song suggestions that would be really funny/entertaining for the guys to dance to. Pretty much anything goes lyrics-wise as our families are very laid back (but nothing raunchy), and nothing that already has a choreographed dance (chicken dance, macarena, etc.) Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a few in mind, but none of them feels like THE right song!  Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Groomsmen Dance

• Options
    Can you just not do the dance? It seems a little silly to do at the wedding. 
  • Options
    Oh geez, PLEASE don't do this.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_groomsmen-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:a6502ec3-7035-40ab-a114-1e93c111a581Post:9f8ca1e5-7943-4615-aec8-98a123212cf2">Re: Groomsmen Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can you just not do the dance? It seems a little silly to do at the wedding. 
    Posted by MommyMarta08[/QUOTE]

This. Your guests aren't going to understand why the dance is being done if they weren't at the shower. I would be very confused by this if I saw it done at a wedding.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i do not see what there is to be confused about... take a minute explain the challenge to your guests and the penalty for losing...  and once the guys are serious about performing it will be very entertaining... Also for good sport have the girls join in the end .. this may just get your party started... once you have fun people who are not too uptight it will be one of the talking points after the wedding (for good i hope)

Go for it.. cannot think of a song right now though
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dear god how embarrassing.

Why do people think weddings are a good opportunity to humiliate their friends?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_groomsmen-dance?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:a6502ec3-7035-40ab-a114-1e93c111a581Post:36f1803f-74bd-4e06-8330-7ae7782c16aa">Groomsmen Dance</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone! I previously posted this on the music board and it didn't get any response, so I thought I'd try here! FI and I had a Jack and Jill party, which started off with a photo scavenger hunt.  At stake: the losing team had to perform a dance at the wedding reception to a song of the winning team's choice.  Despite hardcore cheating by the boys, team bride won, and now I'm looking for song suggestions that would be really funny/entertaining for the guys to dance to. Pretty much anything goes lyrics-wise as our families are very laid back (but nothing raunchy), and nothing that already has a choreographed dance (chicken dance, macarena, etc.) Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a few in mind, but none of them feels like THE right song!  Thanks!
    Posted by starrynight1658[/QUOTE]

just in case
  • Options
    Yeah, no.  I agree with PP's.  Maybe do the dance at the rehearsal dinner.  Folks will laugh for about 2 seconds, and then it will become painful to watch.
  • Options
    Awful idea.  Just skip it.  If you absolutely feel that you must do this~don't~then I guess do it at the RD.  But my choice would be don't do it.

As a guest, I'd rather be dancing myself than being forced to stand around watching a dance that they don't want to do and I don't want to watch.  Okay, I lied.  I wouldn't be standing around watching it.  I'd be at the bar.  Or in the ladies room.  Or on the patio.  Or gouging a pencil in my ear.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    If you have a fun loving crowd that likes music and dancing, and the groomsmen are game, then go for it.  If it's a stuffy crowd, the groomsmen are not totally on board with it, then skip it.  Find another way to have some laughs at their expense.  Like some goofy pictures or something (lots of possibilities there, lol!).   But for song suggestions:

Performing the "YMCA" wearing funny accessories or hats like the village people.  

Have them don sunglasses, hats, and briefcases and do something like the Blues Brothers "Soul Man" or something made up to the tune of BTO's "Taking care of business"

I don't know if you would remember, but on the TV show "Ally McBeal" there was a funny little dance they did to Barry White's "My first, my last, my everything" that was kind of cute.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uvxpV0M7NI

"I'm too sexy for my shirt, to sexy for my...."by Right Said Fred?

"Go greased lightning"

"I like to Move it move it"

The Mexican hat dance

A hula dance

• Options
    I say skip this dance.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Can they do something else?

I can't think of any choreographed dance at a wedding that anyone has wanted to see or be in IRL.
  • Options
    If it's a relaxed crowd this could be fun, but don't have it go on for too long.  Then perhpas have the groomsmen start the party by pulling bridesmaids up to dance and/or other friends who would be up to starting the dancing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards