Georgia-Atlanta
Options

Rhodes Hall: Money and rules

Hey, 

So we are in the very beginning stages of this whole process and have been looking at venues. We are sort of leaning toward the Stanley House but mostly because of the "does everything" package dealies. However, then we saw Rhodes Hall and fell in love. We'd have to hire the outside caterer and with 50-100 people we really have no idea what to expect cost wise. I don't really want to talk to the caterer just to be told that our budget (10-12,000 for everything) is riduculous and we should just go to publix or something. 

The OTHER thing about Rhodes Hall is that because it is a historic location there are some rules that seem like they might put a damper on things. So here is the question: Have any of you been married there? What was your budget/guest count? Were the ruiles annoying? 

Thanks so much! 

-Maggie

Re: Rhodes Hall: Money and rules

• Options
    What are some of the rules that you don't like?
  • Options
    No real rose petals, no candles, loud music

the fiance is pretty heavily pushing for the stanley house cuzause of the  package thing. where is your venue? 
  • Options
    My venue is the Roswell River Landing. 

There are probably some good reasons behind the rules set at Rhodes Hall. Ask for reasons behind the rules that make you feel uncomfortable, I'm sure they will be more than happy to offer an explination that will make sense to you.

As far as the package thing - it's a matter of personal preference. I'm very laid back. The planning isn't stressing me out at all, but I also don't need everything to be absolutely perfect. As long as things are close enough to my vision, I'm okay. I haven't had any problem searching for hours on end (no joke) for the vendor that fits my personality, budget, and needs. My venue comes with the building and tables and chairs. That's it. No staff to help set up or tear down, no preferred vendors, just the wonderful lady that oversees the place and google. 

I'm not going to lie - it's quite overwhelming to see the hundreds of results a search for "Catering Atlanta GA" google gives you. And it can be exhausting combing through each one. And of course 7/10 of catering companies don't have any prices on their website - you'll have to ask for them. 

Deciding to go with an all inclusive venue will be less stressful - but trust me, the stress will not dissappear entirely. Even if you only have to choose between two or three preferred vendors (or there is only one to choose from) you'll probably still have frustrations to deal with. And it might not always be the pricier of the two options. For example: if you were to take an all inclusive venue and price all the vendors out individually, there is an almost 100% garuntee that the price would be much higher than the package price. That is because all of the vendors lower the prices of their services in exchange for garunteed business from the venue. However, if you were to look at the prices each vendor gives the venue, you could probably find a DIFFERENT vendor that will do it cheaper. 

Another pro to an all inclusive venue is that feeling of security. If an all inclusive venue wants to be productive and stay in business, they need to make absolutely certain that all of the vendors are honest and follow good business practices. Sites like TheKnot can be the death of a bad vendor/venue. That does not mean that all vendors at all inclusive venues will be good, nor does it mean that excellent vendors are impossible to find without an all inclusive venue. 

There are a lot of pros and cons to both sides of this, and unfortunately there isn't a way I can just say "this choice is the better choice". Planning a wedding is such a complex and personal experience that there really is no right answer to it. Just take your time and discuss your options with your FI, and remember that you have plenty of resources to help you along the way however you decide to go. 

Good luck and happy planning! 
  • Options
    I have been to two weddings at Rhodes Hall and both used candles. They had votives on the tables and candles in hurricanes on the mantles. Lots places have the no rose petal rule. Are you planning on having your ceremony on the front porch or inside? The rose petal rule might only be for inside. If it includes outside and you are thinking about what your flower girl will drop there are other options (leaves, lavender, etc) or she can carry a pomander. Both weddings had music (one a DJ and the other a band) and they were both on the porch. The music was loud but I think it had to end at a certain time because people live around the venue. As far as your food concern, anyone with a catering licence can cater your event. Don't forget to give your favorite restaurant consideration! Your budget for 50-100 guests is totally do-able!
  • Options
    Oh, and consider hiring a wedding planner! I know a lot of girls think they can't afford one but a great planner will pay for herself with the connections and knowledge she has. It will also give you peace of mind on your wedding day allowing you to relax and enjoy your day. Check out craigslist and wedding wire. :)
  • Options
    @PokePoke... I hope you post pictures of your wedding!! I'm also getting married at RRL... I feel like I cannot find a lot of good pictures of weddings there.   :(
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_georgia-atlanta_rhodes-hall-money-and-rules?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:58Discussion:0ac58b5e-680f-4cc3-918d-995c8d82ff8bPost:bc494c2d-d389-42d8-9040-76fe3257b417">Re: Rhodes Hall: Money and rules</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, and consider hiring a wedding planner! I know a lot of girls think they can't afford one but a great planner will pay for herself with the connections and knowledge she has. It will also give you peace of mind on your wedding day allowing you to relax and enjoy your day. Check out craigslist and wedding wire. :)
    Posted by princessannie12[/QUOTE]

<div>And even if a full wedding planner is out of the budget, you can always go for a Day-of-Coordinator to keep things running smoothly on the day.</div>
  • Options
    Definitely get a planner or at least a day of coordinator if you can afford it. I have heard many brides say if they had one "do-over" it would have been hiring a planner. 
  • Options
    thank you for all of the feedback....now to work on the FI. he loves Rhodes Hall  too but think it would be too much stress for me to do something other than the package. we have time though. 

Thanks so much :D 

-Maggie
  • Options
    I almost was sold to book my wedding there, until we really looked at all the restrictions. I'll private message you more info as to what we didn't like, etc. I loved that place too, thankfully I found my venue a couple days ago FINALLY and are booking it tuesday. I never though we would find my dream venue and literally out of no where online I found this place. I'll message you, like I said. ;) No worries. I'll help ya. I've searched everywhere. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards