Plus-Sized

Need Help with curves!!!!!!!!

Have a huge question!!!! I am 5'4 with a large chest and great "child bearing hips"!!  LOL  Any ideas about what kind of dress would flatter my figure the best???  Also, my 5 bridesmaids are all differ shapees, too.  Tall and thin, to shorter and more curvy.  I am needing to find a dress to compliment them as well.  ANy help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Re: Need Help with curves!!!!!!!!

• QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited June 2012
    There are a lot of dresses that will flatter your shape. I would try a fit and flare. But honestly, you'll never know until you go try some on. Have an open mind and be willing to try on styles you don't think you'll like. As far as bridesmaids go, you may want to consider specifying color and length and letting each person pick a dress that flatters them.
  • A-Line is flattering on everyone I think.  I think mine looks great on me!  Empire waist maybe?
  • I gotta say. I thought aline was going to look fabulous on me, but I am very hippy. It made me look 2 times wider than I am.
  • IOohhh...good to know!  Thanks!!!!!n Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_plus-sized_need-help-with-curves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:973cdc6f-961e-4fb0-a628-bef2bb559697Discussion:055a276b-7c6d-4c5b-b89d-7837ebda1445Post:3e70ef62-773e-4b61-ba71-e7d6bcfdfd4a">Re:Need Help with curves!!!!!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I gotta say. I thought aline was going to look fabulous on me, but I am very hippy. It made me look 2 times wider than I am.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]
  • When making apt at bridal salons, ask how many dressed they have (in stock) in your size.  I can't tell you how depressed I was, after leaving one salon where NOTHING fit me. The largest size they had was a 16 - and that was only 2 dresses.  I ended up at David's Bridal.  They had TONS of dresses in my size (18-20).

I purchased a halter style dress with a modesty panel so the halter-part isn't too deep. The great thing about the halter style and vertically-challenged gals (I'm 5' 3") is that the seamstress can shorten the halter straps, raising the dress, eliminating the need to have it hemmed.  Saved me about $150.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Go to http://www.igigi.com On their site every dress tells what body type its best for. They sell wedding dresses there also. They are try to size. They us real plus size models, and they tell the models stats and body shape. They also have a feature where you can shop ny your shape. So even if you don't buy on their site it might help you figure out what would look best on you. Oh and if you do like something on their site, Lane Bryants sister site Sonsi at http://www.sonsi.com sells their items so you can buy their items using your Lane Bryant Card and have it shipped to the store for free.
    ?We are formed and molded by our thoughts. Those whose minds are shaped by selfless thoughts give joy when they speak or act. Joy follows them like a shadow that never leaves them.? ~ Buddha
  • I have to agree with PP that a-lign might be your best bet. 

I am going through the same thing with my bridesmaids. All four of them have extremely different body types so it's hard finding a dress that will flatter all of them.
    I'm thinking something long and flowy, but if you find something that works for you, please let me know!
    Daisypath Wedding tickers Daisypath Graduation tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards