Kentucky-Louisville

Vendor Reviews

Hi all!  Just wanted to share feedback on all of our major vendors.  If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Venue - Georgetown
Wilshire's / Canewood Golf Course: A+

Everything was great.  The food was fabulous.  The setup was perfectly done.  The service was speedy.  The staff was friendly and excited for us.  All in all, it went perfectly.  And, the price was outstanding.  It was inclusive of the tent for the reception, ceremony chairs, linens, service, food (appetizers for cocktail hour, dinner, and late night snack), champagne toast,  cutting and serving cake, DJ, etc.   We had a consumption bar as well.  We priced the same things at a number of venues in Lexington, and the cost at Canewood was at least 30 to 40% less.  Even the bar came in under budget in the end. 

We did break a cardinal rule of knottie wedding planning, though - we didn't have a detailed contract.  Because of that, it meant we didn't have any idea how they would handle changes to the number of people or food (such as adding the snack).  And, there are a number of management folks there who can be quite helpful, but pricing is up to the owner, and he's sometimes way too busy and thus nearly impossible to get in touch with. 

If you want to use Wilshire's, I can't recommend it highly enough.  But, I also recommend getting a contract.  In the end it didn't cause us any financial issues, just some extra stress.

Also - I was very detailed and organized in my directions to them on how to set up the tables, etc.  I gave them diagrams, sample photos, etc., so that it would be easy for them to set things up without me being present.  It worked out really well, and I would highly recommend doing the same to anyone else.

Photography - Louisville
Bella Grace Studios: A+

Josh is the best.  He was awesome to work with, and the teasers I've seen so far are amazing.  He and his assistant took thousands and thousands of photos, and I have no doubt that they're all top-notch.  They got all the photos we specifically requested, and had tons of things they wanted to do to get some great shots.  They were really respectful of H being in uniform for the ceremony & didn't ask him to do anything inappropriate (we've been in some military weddings with clueless photogs who asked for WAY weird things).  They were also everywhere and nowhere at the same time once the ceremony started - they didn't get in anyone's way, obstruct anyone's view, etc., but the still got every shot.

Videography - Lexington
Bella Blue Studios:  A

We had two cameras, both with operators.  We opted out of any editing or final video production, due to budget.  I'll do the editing myself.  They were nice and unobtrusive at the wedding, and still got everything on film!

Cake - Nicholasville
Judy Myers:  A

Judy makes awesome cake!  I can't WAIT to dig into the top layer that we saved.  White chocolate with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting. 

She doesn't do anything electronic, though.  Her husband checks and answers her email, but if you want to work with Judy, you'll have to call her and go visit to see photos of her work.  It's worth the drive (to Nicholasville), though.  And, plan at least 90 minutes for a tasting.  She's very chatty.

Florist - Lawrenceburg
Lawrenceburg Flower Shop:  A+

I had planned to DIY my flowers originally, but decided that was just too much work.  After being turned down by most of the major florists in Lexington due to Mother's Day and not even getting return calls from two in Louisville, I heard about this shop from a friend.  I gave some pretty specific direction as to what I wanted, and he delivered.  We kept things simple due to the budget, and I was pleased. 

DJ - Georgetown
Agency Entertainment:  A-

They goofed up the entrance songs for the WP, but they did get it right for us.  Also, they missed a "MUST PLAY" dedication that we wanted.  But, overall, things went really well.  The mishaps were ones that WE noticed, but that didn't affect the guests.  And, they tolerated H belting out Journey and Bon Jovi over the mic, which earns anyone points toward sainthood.

Attire - Louisville
Rebecca's:  A

For my dress, I'd give Rebecca's an A+.  We also ordered the BMs dresses from them, and 2 of the 3 were just fine.  The third, they ordered the wrong dress but in the right size.  However, they worked with the BM directly to find a resolution.  (They found an in-store sample in the right fabric/color/designer and had it altered to fit her for free.)  So, they get a C for their ordering and an A+ for customer service on the resolution, which all averages to an A in my book. 

Hair - Louisville
Angela Priddy (at Bravada on Hurstbourne):  A+

Angela has been doing my hair since I moved to Louisville, and I really like her.  So, when we got engaged, I asked if she'd be willing to travel to Georgetown to do all the girls' hair (including my mom), and she was!  She did a great job!  We did a trial about a month before, as well. 

Makeup - Louisville
Hope Mitchell:  A+

It was gorgeous, easy to wear, lasted all day & night, and looked really natural.  If I could afford it, I'd have Hope do my makeup daily!  She also did my mom's makeup, and the BMs who wanted theirs done, and everybody was thrilled. 

Hotel Block - Georgetown
Hilton Garden Inn:  A

Initially, they were REALLY tough to get in touch with, due to several personnel changes.  But, once they settled on a sales director, we got the block set up and they were very accommodating for us.  They also handed out our OOT bags for no charge to our guests as they checked in.  I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Shuttle Bus - Versailles
Wombles:  B+

The office folks are wonderful.  Very nice, organized, easy to deal with, and they have the best prices in Kentucky - by FAR.  The bus itself was nice too.  And, the driver got the bus from point A to point B safely with no issues.  However - he had to be encouraged to actually leave on time in order to get people from the hotel to the wedding.  Once there, he parked the bus in the only spot they told him NOT to park in - which put it right in the background for our ceremony.  And he did that during our vows.

I would use Wombles again.  But I'd have some very specific, pointed conversation with the nice people in the main office about WHO would be driving the bus, the importance of timeliness, and where to park the bus. 
DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
Mom to J: 2011
Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485

Re: Vendor Reviews

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for posting these, Squirrly!! Very helpful info, and I am so excited to hear you loved Bella Grace (we put a deposit down with him recently)! I need a shuttle bus service in Louisville... I am going to call Wombles and see if they can accommodate that. Thanks again!

You look beautiful in your wedding pics by the way! :)
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • squirrlysquirrly member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awww, thanks!  Josh ROCKED.  I can't wait to see the rest of the pics.  He's sent me 12 teasers (11 in my married bio - the 12th shows our last name), and I love them all.  Everybody thought he was awesome. 

If Wombles doesn't work out, they might have a good suggestion for you.  If not, you might try Miller.  They're always super nice when we have to use them for school stuff.  Not so much with DC Tours, though. 

I am so oddly excited to keep up with your planning.  So - keep us posted!
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Haha maybe because of all of the stellar planning tips you provided me?!  I will definitely post updates :) 

I still have nearly a year to go but I am told it will fly by.  I hope so anyway, I'm ready for it to be here!  And I am a thousand times more excited about working with Josh now!
    edited December 2011
    I dunno, I feel like if we lived in the same place, we'd get along well - ya know?  You're like the friend that could be that I've never met. 

I, clearly, am exhausted and need to go to sleep.  I have no idea if that makes any sense at all.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol no it made perfect sense, and I completely agree!  FI knows squirrly as my knottie friend from Louisville haha :)  Have you all ever done a GTG with the people from this board?
    edited December 2011
    No, not at large.  I've met Louisvillebride a few times, though.  Actually, I'm closer to you know than the Louisville crew - H is from Boston, and we decided to move there as soon as we could both find jobs.  Well, my new one starts on Monday, so I drove up last night.  

I'm not leaving the KY or Louisville boards, though.  
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh wow, congratulations!  How do you feel about moving to a new state?
    edited December 2011
    I'm fine with the relocation.  It's just frustrating not knowing where anything is.  And, driving here is so freakin' confusing.  But, I managed to get to work and back today, so that's a plus.  :)  I just want to get into our house (we're living with the ILs for a couple weeks until then), get settled, etc.  I sort of feel like a college kid home for the summer, with an internship. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

• FKSFKS
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha that's understandable.  I've heard Boston is an amazing city but one of the more difficult ones to drive in if you're not used to it.  I'm sure you'll be a pro in no time :)  Kudos on getting to work and back on your first day.  I bet you're so excited to get into your new house!  So many new, exciting things for you guys - congrats on them all!
  • Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    squirrly I would invest in a GPS if you haven't already. That has saved me so many times after moving to Louisville! I've been here two years and I still have to use it. And anyone I've ever known that has lived in Boston scares the crap out of me when I'm in the car with them when they're driving...
    edited December 2011
    Birdie, it got here today (gotta love Amazon!).  I never needed one for Louisville (I lived there for 5 years), because things are at least sort of "square", so you can get a reference for where things are.  Nothing here is square at all.  It's crazy. 

My office is dangerously close to two super nice, upscale malls right in downtown.  Which, is really fun at lunch.  And can be really un-fun if I'm not careful. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards