Delaware

Wedding Venues

Hello all i need some help.  I need ideas on where to have a wedding reception, and im not sure of alot of places in Delaware.

Re: Wedding Venues

• edited December 2011
    It really depends on your budget and what atmosphere you want.  Could you let us know how much you want to spend per head and what features you'd like (waterfront, garden, etc.)?
  • steph101783steph101783 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i want to probably spend around 100 per person. and i also kind of want to do the cermony and the recepition all at one place.  im not really sure what kind of atmosphere i want.  we just got engaged on the 22nd so we havent looked into anything with the holidays.  I hope this helps and thanks for helping :)
  • RplantRplant member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     have used Golden Apple Caterers for my oldest daughter's wedding and my son's wedding. My third child has just got engaged and I plan on using them again. They have many different locations with very affordable pricing (they include everything - linens, china, silverware, they also threw in a wedding cake!!). I believe at their locations they even give you the room for free! I used one of their locations for my oldest and at my son's wedding they came to the church hall. If anyone would like to email me regarding them, please feel free! Theresa (the owner's wife) is great! Very patient and understanding! She even emails me late at night or returns my phonecalls after 7:00PM. Their food is very good and they can decorate, which is a big plus in my book! My email address is dancin357@aol.com! Thought this would help, looking for a great DJ. The ones I used in the past are now retired!
  • edited December 2011

Winterthur is beautiful and allows weddings on property, but it's a little bit more than you wanted to spend (115 or so).  Chesapeake Inn is very nice and right in the price range you are looking for, but I am not sure if they do ceremonies there.  We are having ours at The Farmhouse, which does both ceremonies and receptions.  It's under your budget, at 70-80 per person, but then you'd have more money to spend elsewhere like a videographer or a great honeymoon.  I'd encourage you to check out the vendor links here on the knot for ceremony/reception locations in the area to get more ideas.

• steph101783steph101783 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks for your help. Im sure I will have tons of other questions also
  • edited December 2011

Hi there, and congratulations on your engagement!  Delaware has many beautiful venues to choose from. 

We got married in July at the Christiana Hilton, and it was beautiful . We had our wedding outside in the courtyard under the gazebo, and the reception in the le Chameleon ballroom, which is the smaller ballroom.  There is a review of The Hilton in my married bio, but everything was absolutely amazing from beginning to end.  It's so convenient also, for the bride and groom, the bridal party, as well as the guests being able to stay there and not have to drive home after drinking all night.  It worked out great for us, we loved it! 

Good luck with your search!

• edited December 2011
    Hey!  Congrats on your engagement!

We got married in September at the Hartfeld, and I highly recommend.  Its a bit more then your budget, but it includes alot - cake, flowers, food/liquor, hotel, limo to name a few.  We had our ceremony overlooking the golf course (beautiful view!) and they have a great back up plan for bad weather, with is a perm tent set up, also overlooking the course.  I have some non pro pics and reviews in my bio, and if you have any questions, feel free to email me tonysgurl020406 at yahoo dot com or page me.

Good luck!
  • ImMrsFranksImMrsFranks member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my wedding at the Mendenhall Inn. It's right over the DE/PA line. Such a gorgeous place and they are wonderfull to work with. It also included the flower arrangements, cake, and open bar. They also threw in an ice-sculpture at no charge.
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there and welcome!  The girls on this board are awesome, and you can trust them to provide you with honest and great ideas.

There are a couple of venues you might look into.  While you say 100 per person, does that mean just for the meal, or do you want more included?  Some places include more than others, so think about what that number includes.  If you can save some money on your price per person through having vendors included, then you can apply it to other, more important and more expensive, vendors (like your photog!)

I am using Executive Banquet, in Newark down off of 896.  My price per person is around 60, though they can go up to around 75.  That includes things like cake, centerpieces, colored linens (most places around here only do ivory or white included), 5 hour reception with 5 hour bar (most do 4 hour bars), and they can do the ceremony there as well.  There have been several brides on here who have used them, and were very happy.  I was happy with the 8 beers on tap (and good ones, like DogFishHead and Iron Hill!) and the 6-8 wines I get to choose!

Other places that are great include Clayton Hall (Jax used them), The Farmhouse (MrsLuraT), Mendenhall (MrsFranks).  Others that are nice are the Waterfall (several family members have used them, and it's really nice- plus they have a separate ceremony area).  Also check out Wilmington Horticulture Club, The Delaware Art Museum, Wintethur (Tiki used them) and Gibraltar.  Check out the Stone Barn in PA- we went to an October wedding there, and it was BEAUTIFUL, and the food was amazing; they have such an interesting venue.  Depending on what style you want, some of them can be really intriguing.  There are others in DE/PA/MD too that can be really neat as a venue; just think outside the box.

While the country clubs are nice (Deerfield, DuPont, Hartfeld, Brantwyn), when I talked to all of them, they all had minimums (the most common was $18k min) which I couldn't afford.  Make sure you ask about minimums.  If you are okay with that amount, I recommend Hartfeld, it's really pretty. 

Also, make sure to ask about capacity.  Depending on how many you plan on inviting (remember 10-20% decline on average) and having attend, the place you want may not be able to accommodate.  I know that the Farmhouse can only hold around 125 (I think), while my venue can hold around 400. 

Think about buffet versus plated.  In this area, plated tends to be cheaper (by a decent amount) than buffet.  I know open bar is a must for many, but if you are willing to do beer/wine, you can cut up to 8pp by doing that, which adds up to a lot.

Hope all that helps ya out- if you need more ideas, feel free to ask away!
  • edited December 2011
    Hello and Congrats on the engagement :)

I visited 19 places in PA/DE to find the one. We wanted $100 a person (chicken and beef) with the most included (centerpieces, 5 hr open bar, cocktailhour, cake, etc).... and We are going without the Crowne Plaza Valley Forge in King of Prussia. Erica was great!!! If you want information let me know... lilvalval26@Yahoo.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards