Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Chicken, Chicken, Chicken...

Hey,

The oil spill is raising seafood prices ridiculously, so we've decided to go with lamb chops and chicken instead of the tilapia that we originally wanted. 

The problem is there's too many choices! I love chicken marsala but not everyone likes mushrooms. Chicken florentine's also delicious, but you have the same problem with spinach. Then there's chicken divan, chicken san francisco, chicken stuffed with rice, grilled chicken with white sauce, and even fried chicken.

What did you have -- or are you having -- at your wedding?

Re: Chicken, Chicken, Chicken...

• mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I thought tilapia is mostly farmed?  The oil spill shouldn't affect its price.

That being said, lamb and chicken would probably appeal to more people than lamb and fish, since not everyone loves lamb, and not everyone loves fish.  Chicken should appeal to most everyone who eats meat.
  • danieliza1127danieliza1127 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The oil spill shouldn't be affecting tilapia at all.  If they're telling you that, they're jerking you around.  The only seafood that would be affected at this point is actually gulf seafood, shrimp and oysters mainly.

Anyway, fried chicken or grilled chicken would probably be the most universally liked choices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Depending on the region of the country, I'm guessing people who sell seafood are raising prices on everything to make up for the extra they're paying for seafood from the Gulf or loss of revenue in general (instead of just jacking up the price on shrimp). It makes sense from a basic supply/demand stance.... Is it obvious that I studied economics and business?? *sigh*  lol 

Anyway, I agree that grilled chicken's probably a safer choice anyway. I just wonder if anyone did a riskier dish and how guests responded. 

• edited December 2011

Did you already have a contract with the catering company? or are you DIY? If they already gave you prices then it should be in your contract and they should have to pay the difference.... of BP for that matter (wishful thinking)

We are doing a baked chicken.

I would try to keep the favoring fairly simple, people might not like garlic, wine sauce... etc.

"There are three things that remain - faith, hope, and love - and the greatest of these is love." Corinthians 13:13 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We put down an initial deposit to secure the date but haven't finalized our menu. It's a small, family-owned company, so I'd rather just switch to a chicken dish than get involved in a debate about pricing -- especially since my FI and I are pretty indifferent. 

Wedding planning has definitely taught me how to pick my battles and conserve my energy!

• edited December 2011
    The chicken that was offered on our menu was a Chicken with wild mushroom sauce. I hate mushrooms, blech, so I talked with the chef about alternative sauces he would recommend and we ended up picking a Madeira sauce.

Most menu selections aren't super firm - if you butter up the chef and ask for what else goes well on a particular type of chicken, and what s/he would recommend, they're so happy to show off their culinary expertise and give you options!

• edited December 2011
    As long as your lamb dish doesn't have mushrooms, I think chicken marsala would be fine. Ditto chicken florentine.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    You can't please everyone with a single dish. There will always be picky eaters who don't like stuff. Go with whatever it is you love. If people don't like the mushrooms or spinach, they can just eat around it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards