Maine

Timing of events...HELP

So my Fiance and I are getting married Oct 1, next year. We really want to get married outside, we have the location already. We have decided on an afternoon ceremony in hopes that the weather will work out for us and it wont be too chilly. I'm having a hard time planning how things will work out time wise. We'd like to have a relaxed buffet style dinner but with an afternoon ceremony we don't want people to feel like they have to wait forever to be fed! We're thinking a 1 or 2 o'clock ceremony, then some time for pictures and maybe appetizers for guests during that time? So a dinner at 5? Does that sounds like too much time to kill in between? How early can a dinner be? Any suggestions? Thanks!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Timing of events...HELP

• schadbourneschadbourne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    this is personal but the earliest i like to eat is 5

so if your 'dinner' is at 5 cocktail hour should be an hour so that would ideally start around 4 give or take a half an hour so, I would say to start your ceremony at 3
    again this is  all personal because i like to eat late and I hate when there is more than an hour wait between ceremony and reception. It also depends on how long your ceremony is. Mine will be a total of 15 to 20 min (i am also getting most of my pictures done before the ceremony) and my cocktail "hour" will be a half an hour total so everyone can get to eating and partying
  • kay0003kay0003 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to plenty of weddings where the ceremony was at 1pm.  Cocktail hr usually starts around 2:30 or 3 (depending on how far away the reception is and how long your ceremony takes).  Then dinner was served aroundt 4.  It might not be what time people normally eat, but I haven't noticed it to be a problem. 
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's a long time in between.  If you don't want to wait until 3pm for the ceremony, then maybe a 2:30 start and see if you can extend cocktail hour a bit.  I think there is nothing worse than looking for something to do between the ceremony and the start of the reception/cocktail time. 
    Married 9.4.11
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice ladies! I think we might go with a 2:30-3 o'clock ceremony!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • meganyanimeganyani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our ceremony was at 2pm and lasted maybe 15 minutes at most. We had appetizers for people until 3pm and buffet was open shortly after. No one had a problem with it. Most of us hadn't eaten all day so it was perfect timing. /shrug. I wouldn't worry too much...if people know the time, then I think they will eat or refrain from eating accordingly.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards