South Asian Weddings
Options

New here!

Hello all!

I am planning an October 2013 wedding that is VERY mixed! My FI is Scottish and is wearing a kilt to reflect that. I am Hindu (but white, American) and so I am wearing the traditional sari with the dupatta - thinking red/yellow (can't be bright red, unfortunately, FI hates it). I am also Irish and so we will be incorporating Celtic elements into the wedding as well as some 'American' traditions.

This is a second wedding for both of us and he has a teenage daughter who is Wiccan and so we will also be incorporating elements of Wicca into the ceremony (as both of us identify strongly with nature, the Earth, the elements, etc). 

It should prove to be interesting! Here's are some inspiration pics of the saris I like! And the facial jewelry.

And, here's a picture of his kilt.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: New here!

• Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Hi and congratulations!

That certainly is very mixed :)

I am also American and my H is from India.  It can be very challenging trying to incorporate different traditions (and keeping all parties happy), but you get a much more personal and unique wedding in the end.  I think it's really thoughtful of you to also include your future step-daughter's beliefs.

Happy planning!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi, thanks for the welcome!

Yes, it should be interesting. Thankfully, unlike you, I don't have Indian inlaws to deal with. I am the one trying to incorporate these 'foreign' traditions but my FI is VERY understanding and constantly trying to incorporate Hindu/Indian aspects into the wedding. I'm so lucky. :-)

Where is your H from, in India? I have friends from Calcutta and Andhra Pradesh (Hyderabad). I have never been but am DYING to go!

Did you wear a sari at all during the wedding? Do you buy your sarees and jewelry online? I am having HUGE issues finding saris, faical jewelry and women who will pin all my clothes - can NOT pin them myself LOL - in my area. :-( Ohhhh, never mind, just saw your various wedding ceremonies. DUH.

I am afraid that my guests are going to think it's some kind of 'joke.' My friend made a comment like it's 'we are the world' wedding. I don't think I woud be receiving these comments if one of us was actually Indian. I simply don't understand why I can't wear attire that reflects me, you know?

Thanks again, for the welcome! <3

• Options
    temurlangtemurlang member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My H is Bengali (born in Kolkata), but he grew up entirely in Jaipur and considers himself Rajasthani culturally.  Since we had events in India, I got the jewellery and the saris there.  The lengha I wore for the main ceremony and reception I bought in Artesia, which is a town in California with a majority Indian population.  I would suggest that you look at New York (Jackson Heights) or New Jersey (Edison).

I know this sounds cliche, but your friends should know that your religious/cultural beliefs are important to you and should NOT think it's a joke!  Even though DH is Indian I still felt a little concerned about whether certain aspects of our wedding would seem contrived or natural.  When I ran it past an Indian friend, she said, "no one who has met you would think it's put on."

Besides, Indian clothes are pretty!  Who wouldn't want to wear them?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_new-here-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:2f484a38-bd4a-4610-a166-75b670f39483Post:96825aea-ae20-4b70-a980-5a9e91f83e4d">Re: New here!</a>:
    [QUOTE]My H is Bengali (born in Kolkata), but he grew up entirely in Jaipur and considers himself Rajasthani culturally.  Since we had events in India, I got the jewellery and the saris there.  The lengha I wore for the main ceremony and reception I bought in Artesia, which is a town in California with a majority Indian population.  I would suggest that you look at New York (Jackson Heights) or New Jersey (Edison). I know this sounds cliche, but your friends should know that your religious/cultural beliefs are important to you and should NOT think it's a joke!  Even though DH is Indian I still felt a little concerned about whether certain aspects of our wedding would seem contrived or natural.  When I ran it past an Indian friend, she said, "no one who has met you would think it's put on." Besides, Indian clothes are pretty!  Who wouldn't want to wear them?
    Posted by temurlang[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Thanks, temurlang! Appreciate the moral support!</div><div>
    </div><div>While anyone has known me for any length of time knows that the core of Hindusim is in my heart, the official adoptation of Hinduism is somewhat recent. </div><div>
    </div><div>Indian clothes are awesome! I just got a GORGEOUS salwar kameez for Thanksgiving! Will post pics soon!

</div><div>Thanks also for the location recommendations, I am DEF making some trips ASAP! The ONE store near me (an hour and a half way) is full of beautiful clothing but wicked expensive.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards