Military Brides
Options

Military Ball - Dress question

So FI came home the other night and surprised me with a military ball we have to go to OOT within the next few weeks. The only dress I have that would work is a cherry red satin bridesmaid dress from my brother's wedding. It is floor length with a corset top and very plain. It orginally had a white ribbon to tie around the waist but that def. looks like a BM dress. Do you think it will look too bridesmaids or plain looking? Should I just go get another dress?

I tried to find a picture online at David's Bridal but they have a cartoon mix and match helper. This is a close one: http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=3001875&currentIdx=36&subCategory=-49998976%257c3001467%257c3001613%257c3001875&catentryId=6097302&sort=

Any thoughts?
Anniversary

Re: Military Ball - Dress question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So FI came home the other night and surprised me with a military ball we have to go to OOT within the next few weeks. The only dress I have that would work is a cherry red satin bridesmaid dress from my brother's wedding. It is floor length with a corset top and very plain. It orginally had a white ribbon to tie around the waist but that def. looks like a BM dress. Do you think it will look too bridesmaids or plain looking? Should I just go get another dress?

I tried to find a picture online at David's Bridal but they have a cartoon mix and match helper. This is a close one: http://www.davidsbridal.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplayView?storeId=10052&catalogId=10051&categoryId=3001875&currentIdx=36&subCategory=-49998976%257c3001467%257c3001613%257c3001875&catentryId=6097302&sort=

Any thoughts?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its cute and most Balls Ive been to girls wear dresses like that.. I mean some girls go all out with gigatic dresses and tiaras like its Prom but I dont feel like thats really needed
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That dress would definitely work.  Unless you want to get a new dress I'd just stick with that one.  Some girls do go all out but I say understated is much more classy.  I have a ball on Friday and this is my dress

http://store.dealblvd.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=7490543
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amy - I like.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  For your dress, I would just get some fun accessories like a cute cluth or shoes and call it a day.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I thinking the same. With the wedding coming up I really don't want to spend money I don't have too.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your dress is fine. The girls who dress like it's Prom get made fun of. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

The only thing I would say with your dress is the color.  We had ours this past November and I really just wanted to wear the dress from a wedding I was in last July, but since it was cherry red I opted not to.  Most of the women wear black or brown or other dark colors.  But you definitely could wear it because like PPs said, women totally range in what they wear.  We had ones dressed for the prom, and others in dress pants and sweaters. 

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    edited December 2011
    As far as color goes, I've worn black, teal, silver, teal again, silver again, and red last year. 

Don't worry about matching his uniform. I bet he has a ribbon that has red in it. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the color.  Black is actually the least worn color at our balls. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't look at the picture of the dress the first time, I just read apple red.  The dress I had that was like candy apple red that was blindingly bright.  The color of yoiur dress is much deeper and prettier and would definitely be fine for a ball.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    maisonscomaisonsco member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i wore a bridesmaid gown to our ball this past November and it fit in perfectly. there were some there that looked like this was prom night. i can definitely say that some of the pretter gowns were very simple.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Dress is great!  I wore one similar to it on my second ball.  You can always jazz it up (yes, I said "jazz it up") with accessories.  No need to pay for something that you're not going to really wear again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards